APOD

RushRevisited

I can't wait to find out, because it has irritated me for the past week. I have thought of reasons like "Ok, the gravity is so strong that it is crushed over time.". NOPE - looked it up and gravity is only 75% of earth's on Saturn even though it is so big. Maybe the elements corrode the batteries quickly? NOPE. All they would have to have done then is encase the batteries in the appropriate material based on the corrosive element (if there is one). Same answer if you wonder if there is a chemical reaction due to elements, making the batteries explode in 2-4 hours or something....

WHY, DAMNIT WHY!?!?!?! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really suprised that NOBODY in any media that I've seen or read, has addressed this point! sad.gif It's drivin' me nuts too, RR! wacko.gif

If they'd just made a mechanical arm that could insert and remove a wired probe. Then they could have stashed a big bag of potatoes onboard and had more battery life than what they had! laugh.gif

I might just call him this weekend... make up some reason about his house to call... we'll see! cool.gif

Edited by afansince74

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Jan 19 2005, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Jan 19 2005, 11:21 PM)
By the way, afan - we have the same birthday coming up smile.gif

No way! ohmy.gif How cool is that! biggrin.gif Well, guess I'll be the first to wish you Happy B-Day RR! trink39.gif Here's to us!

trink39.gif Happy Almost Birthday.

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Jan 19 2005, 11:28 PM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Jan 19 2005, 11:21 PM)
By the way, afan - we have the same birthday coming up smile.gif

No way! ohmy.gif How cool is that! biggrin.gif Well, guess I'll be the first to wish you Happy B-Day RR! trink39.gif Here's to us!

Heh heh trink39.gif

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0412/waterspout_noaa.jpg

Explanation: What's happening over the water? Pictured above is one of the better images yet recorded of a waterspout, a type of tornado that occurs over water. Waterspouts are spinning columns of rising moist air that typically form over warm water. Waterspouts can be as dangerous as tornadoes and can feature wind speeds over 200 kilometers per hour. Many waterspouts form away from thunderstorms and even during relatively fair weather. Waterspouts may be relatively transparent and initially visible only by the unusual pattern they create on the water. The above image was taken in 1969 from an aircraft off the Florida Keys, a location arguably the hottest spot for waterspouts in the world with hundreds forming each year. Some people speculate that these waterspouts are responsible for many of the losses recorded in the Bermuda Triangle region of the Atlantic Ocean.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Jan 20 2005, 10:32 AM)
Explanation: What's happening over the water? Pictured above is one of the better images yet recorded of a waterspout, a type of tornado that occurs over water. Waterspouts are spinning columns of rising moist air that typically form over warm water. Waterspouts can be as dangerous as tornadoes and can feature wind speeds over 200 kilometers per hour. Many waterspouts form away from thunderstorms and even during relatively fair weather. Waterspouts may be relatively transparent and initially visible only by the unusual pattern they create on the water. The above image was taken in 1969 from an aircraft off the Florida Keys, a location arguably the hottest spot for waterspouts in the world with hundreds forming each year. Some people speculate that these waterspouts are responsible for many of the losses recorded in the Bermuda Triangle region of the Atlantic Ocean.

It looks like Cygnus's black hole laugh.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Jan 20 2005, 08:32 AM)
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0412/waterspout_noaa.jpg

Crazy! ohmy.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Jan 21 2005, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (ES-335 @ Jan 21 2005, 01:39 PM)
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050121/i/r253288663.jpg

Rivers on Titan!

Very cool!

Would they be like liquid methane?

Hey... it's dark and cold here... somebody light a match and get a fire going! laugh.gif

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Jan 21 2005, 07:02 PM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Jan 21 2005, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (ES-335 @ Jan 21 2005, 01:39 PM)
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050121/i/r253288663.jpg

Rivers on Titan!

Very cool!

Would they be like liquid methane?

Hey... it's dark and cold here... somebody light a match and get a fire going! laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jan 22 2005, 12:55 AM)
Very nice picies RR. I wonder how similar the rest of Saturn's moons are to Titan.

Only time will tell....

Looking forward for the first mission to reach Europa.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jan 22 2005, 12:55 AM)
Very nice picies RR.  I wonder how similar the rest of Saturn's moons are to Titan.

As with a lot of the major moons of Jupiter and Saturn, they all seem to be quite different.

Saturn's only moon that is interesting enough is Titan, but the ones that offer more interest are Jupiters 4 main moons (there are over 60 in all!):

Europa, Ganymede, Io and Callisto

see link: Jupiters Moons

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0108/ngc2440_hst4.jpg

Explanation: Like a butterfly, a white dwarf star begins its life by casting off a cocoon that enclosed its former self. In this analogy, however, the Sun would be a caterpillar and the ejected shell of gas would become the prettiest of all! The above cocoon, the planetary nebula designated NGC 2440, contains one of the hottest white dwarf stars known. The white dwarf can be seen as the bright dot near the photo's center. Our Sun will eventually become a "white dwarf butterfly", but not for another 5 billion years. The above false color image was post-processed by Forrest Hamilton.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0501/ngc6946_gemini.jpg

Explanation: Why is this galaxy so active? Nearby spiral galaxy NGC 6946 is undergoing a tremendous burst of star formation with no obvious cause. In many cases spirals light up when interacting with another galaxy, but NGC 6946 appears relatively isolated in space. Located just 10 million light years away toward the constellation of Cepheus, this beautiful face-on spiral spans about 20,000 light years and is seen through a field of foreground stars from our Milky Way Galaxy. The center of NGC 6946 is home to a nuclear starburst itself, and picturesque dark dust is seen lacing the disk along with bright blue stars, red emission nebulas, fast moving gas clouds, and unusually frequent supernovas. The 8-meter Gemini North Telescope in Hawaii, USA, took the above image. A suggested explanation for the high star formation rate is the recent accretion of many primordial low-mass neutral hydrogen clouds from the surrounding region.

Had to post this one, even though not directly related to astronomy. This has always fascinated me:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0208/voynich_schaefer.jpg

Explanation: The ancient text has no known title, no known author, and is written in no known language: what does it say and why does it have many astronomy illustrations? The mysterious book was once bought by an emperor, forgotten on a library shelf, sold for thousands of dollars, and later donated to Yale. Possibly written in the 15th century, the over 200-page volume is known most recently as the Voynich Manuscript, after its (re-)discoverer in 1912. Pictured above is an illustration from the book that appears to be somehow related to the Sun. The book labels some patches of the sky with unfamiliar constellations. The inability of modern historians of astronomy to understand the origins of these constellations is perhaps dwarfed by the inability of modern code-breakers to understand the book's text. Can the eclectic brain trust of APOD readers make any progress? If you think you can provide any insight, instead of sending us email please participate in an online discussion. The book itself remains in Yale's rare book collection under catalog number "MS 408."