http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdvyoMaqyIk&feature=related

Secret Mission

Carpet of the Sun

Black Flame

Running Hard

More to come...

Winter Tree

Northern Lights

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Apr 18 2008, 03:23 AM)
HUGE Renaissance fan here!

Check out Ashes are Burning...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi_QCi4rjZM

Me too!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Apr 22 2008, 02:53 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 21 2008, 09:27 PM)
Can You Understand?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-TQ_nnfhIg

One of my faves! Did you recognize the intermission? It's a theme from "Doctor Zhivago"... laugh.gif

They were lovers of Russian themes. They borrowed melodies from Prokofiev, Rimsky-Korsakov, and Rachmaninoff. And a few of their songs addressed Russian subject matter: "Kiev," "Ukraine Ways," and "Mother Russia" (about exiled Soviet author Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn).

Did somebody say "MOther Russia"??? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Unfortunately this is a live version from the 80s, there's also the original out there but it's not a video of the band...

On a different note: I'm quite surprised that in a Rush forum nobody ever mentions Jon Camp, he was another Rickenbacker god in his days... wink.gif

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Apr 24 2008, 03:19 AM)
I'm quite surprised that in a Rush forum nobody ever mentions Jon Camp, he was another Rickenbacker god in his days... wink.gif

He was definitely from the Chris Squire School of playing, and admits as much. Great player.

I always felt he was a little spotlight hungry, though. He'd do lead vocals sometimes, even though they already had an amazing vocalist; he'd make announcements between songs in concert, drawing the audience's attention; and he took over much of the songwriting in their later years - perhaps even being responsible for taking the band in too "commercial" a direction, and driving the band into the ground.

But a great bass player.

bumper.gif

Renaissance are touring, to celebrate their 40th anniversary, and I'm going to see them tonight here in Albany! I just found out two days ago that they were coming. Thank Ged I did, or I would've missed this opportunity. Who knows when they'll tour again.

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx32/Renaissance40/Annie_and_Michaelforpublicity2.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3021/2432913851_5130f6e774.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/84/222167231_2c341eb9b4.jpg

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Oct 13 2009, 10:53 AM)
Wow! Which original members (aside from Annie)? Be sure to let us know how they were!!!

Only original members are Michael Dunford and Annie... but that's enough for me! Would've liked to see Jon Camp on bass, but oh well. The keyboardist is a young kid I've seen with Yes; he's very good.

Called the box office this morning and they had JUST sold out! sad.gif So I'm going to go anyway and hope to find a scalper, otherwise I'm driving 2.5 hours to New Jersey on Friday night directly from work. I don't want to miss them!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 13 2009, 12:44 PM)
I used to have a couple of LP's of theirs back when I had LP's - they're a gaping hole in my prog collection - I need to get some of their CD's...

Getting them on CD might be difficult. There was a two-volume compilation released in the 90s called "Tales of 1001 Nights" - that you might still be able to find. The back catalog has been released and discontinued two or more times by two or more different small houses, so those are harder to find. (And they're not "remastered" or anything; they're kinda chintzy.) I managed to get their first and second albums on CD: "Prologue" and "Ashes Are Burning." I also have "Tales of 1001 Nights, Volumes I and II," but other than that all my Renaissance is on vinyl.

BTW, I mentioned tonight's show in Albany had sold out as of this morning, but I did some pecking at the keyboard this afternoon and managed to snag a single ticket. So I'm going TONIGHT in MY HOMETOWN and I'm PSYCHED! I won't have to wait until Friday to see them, and I won't have to drive to five hours roundtrip to do it. I've been playing them at work today and I'm PUMPED!!!!

http://www.nlightsweb.com/lib/gallery/prog77.jpg

How hot was she? Look at those legs! Okay, she's 62 now, but I think she's still looking good and still has the five-octave range.

I actually just saw them in Rochester with my Dad (who is a huge fan). They pretty much blew me away; A LOT better than what I was expecting considering their age.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 13 2009, 12:44 PM)
I used to have a couple of LP's of theirs back when I had LP's - they're a gaping hole in my prog collection - I need to get some of their CD's...

There is a lot of them on Ebay.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 13 2009, 12:50 PM)
Only original members are Michael Dunford and Annie... but that's enough for me! Would've liked to see Jon Camp on bass, but oh well. The keyboardist is a young kid I've seen with Yes; he's very good.

They also have Rave Tesar, who does some amazing work on the piano.

Annie has an incredible voice. I never heard of Renaissance until I bought a Yes tribute and heard her sing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJcEnRR4fs4

QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 13 2009, 10:09 PM)
Annie has an incredible voice. I never heard of Renaissance until I bought a Yes tribute and heard her sing this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJcEnRR4fs4

I have that same Yes tribute, "Tales From Yesterday," with Annie singing "Turn of the Century."

Just got home from the Renaissance concert. Pretty good! Annie is heavier, has gone through breast cancer, and now looks her age (a pretty 62 years-old). She's lost a little of her legendary 5-octave range, but still sounds very good.

I enjoyed the show, but I got to thinking: between this show and the last Yes show I went to, ummm... is it pathetic and sad that aging 60-year-old hippies are embarking on these little tours, cranking old their greatest oldies, and I'm going to see them for nostalgia's sake? Renaissance sold-out Carnegie Hall on three consecutive nights back in 1975, and now they're playing 450-seat theaters. (Also sold out, but still.) As for Yes, they booked the largest venue in my area... and four-fifths of it was empty at showtime. All of this has highlighted to me that I listen to unpopular music way past its prime.

I don't think it's just nostalgia sake, the point is they have very good songs, not comparable to anyone else's, so it's an experience in itself to go and listen to them.

But the nostalghia market is still very profitable in many areas, not just music... Every "nerdy" slice of market can still turn out profits nowadays, as it seems. Not The Big Money but enough to cash some bucks...

On the other hand, I'm happy that Renaissance can benefit from the general rediscovery of 70s prog that is going on in these days, with young fellas discovering forgotten bands... Just look at this thread: it was just you and me before this tour... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Hope they will get their catalogue remastered, that would be a fitting way to complement the tour.

I'll go looking for some videos out there....

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Oct 14 2009, 02:44 AM)
I don't think it's just nostalgia sake, the point is they have very good songs, not comparable to anyone else's, so it's an experience in itself to go and listen to them.
But the nostalghia market is still very profitable in many areas, not just music... Every "nerdy" slice of market can still turn out profits nowadays, as it seems. Not The Big Money but enough to cash some bucks...
On the other hand, I'm happy that Renaissance can benefit from the general rediscovery of 70s prog that is going on in these days, with young fellas discovering forgotten bands... Just look at this thread: it was just you and me before this tour... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Hope they will get their catalogue remastered, that would be a fitting way to complement the tour.
I'll go looking for some videos out there....

As for this "tour" they're doing, they only have 9 dates scheduled so far; they started a week ago and they finish next week in Atlantic City. (All eastern dates; they were biggest in the 70s along the northeast corridor.) Annie said in an interview that more dates are possible, as they've been getting requests to play from places like Seattle, and overseas, but as of now they're only doing nine shows!

Archived