Bassist in need of help...

So, I'm looking to buy a second bass (been playing for about four years) and I'm looking for a bass that would be the best to recreatate that poppy funkish tone that Geddy got with the Wal. Seeing as how I don't see myself owning a Wal anytime soon, what kind of bass should I look into purchasing?

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Mar 6 2008, 02:40 PM)
So, I'm looking to buy a second bass (been playing for about four years) and I'm looking for a bass that would be the best to recreatate that poppy funkish tone that Geddy got with the Wal. Seeing as how I don't see myself owning a Wal anytime soon, what kind of bass should I look into purchasing?

The black Wal (PoW-Presto) or the red Wal (RTB)?

The black one had a trebly snap that I love, while the red one had a "round" bottom tone. Both could be called "funky," depending on what your idea of funk is. laugh.gif

There are few basses - if any - that sound like a Wal, which is why they are so sought after. Besides the woods used and construction, the Wal pickups (sort of like a separate humbucker for each string) play a large part in their unique tone. I have seen suggestions of one or two others, but they have been 'boutique' basses that would cost almost as much as a Wal anyway. I'm not familiar with Spectors, so couldn't comment on their sound.

My understanding is that although Pete Stephens will not actually be making them himself, arrangements are being made for someone to produce Wal basses again, so it may become easier to own one in the future once the current order book is fulfilled.

One other thing if you're really after Geddy's tone at that time; instead of his normal Rotosound Swing 66s (SM66), he used Rotosound Funkmasters on his Wal basses (FM66, which are 30-90).

QUOTE (Jon @ Mar 7 2008, 08:03 PM)
One other thing if you're really after Geddy's tone at that time; instead of his normal Rotosound Swing 66s (SM66), he used Rotosound Funkmasters on his Wal basses (FM66, which are 30-90).

I know what my next strings will be. I *love* the sound he got out of that black Wal.

QUOTE (Jon @ Mar 7 2008, 07:03 PM)

Yes indeed... I used to go with the ole Funk Masters string sets on my 4 string years ago... great tone! I had forgotten about them...

I might have to go back to those on my Fender! trink39.gif

Those are ridiculously light! They probably contributed to the tinny bass in Presto and Roll the Bones. Might as well play a piccolo bass.

QUOTE (ofsalesmen @ Mar 8 2008, 01:08 AM)

Those are ridiculously light! They probably contributed to the tinny bass in Presto and Roll the Bones. Might as well play a piccolo bass.

Funny you should mention piccolo bass... Stanley Clarke used / uses these same strings too! biggrin.gif

I still love the punchy, crisp. clear sound of those light strings, and the Wal for that matter... the Wal is just not the best bass to emulate the tone / feel for the older 70's material...

that's the only problem I ever had with the Wal live... he should haver broken out the Rick, or at least the Fender, for the older stuff during the Wal touring era.

I havent done it myself, but I have heard from a few others that a G&L L2000 (or the lower cost L2000 Tribute) can get a close Wal sound. A used Tribute can be had for somewhere in the $300 range on ebay. I plan on getting one at some point as the Wal is my all time favorite tone hands down, but I just got 2 new basses recently (one being the Geddy Jazz) so I need to wait a bit.