Need new pickups for my bass

mfratt

I'm going to get some new pickups for my Ibanez GSR200. I'm thinking of some EMG-PJHz Passives...are these a good choice or should I consider something different.

Also, I'm thinking of upgrading the bridge as well. What bridges should I look at?

My current pickups are passive, but they have weak middle and a very muddy bottom end (It's only $200 bass, so they're not gonna put any high end pickups in there).

As for the bridge, I'd like something with a little more sustain and better isolation of the strings.

Heres all I have now (sorry the pics are a bit out of focus, I sorta rushed it)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3272/2313199094_7be6b63eb6_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3098/2313199098_c6061e8b7e_b.jpg

Cyg will be better able to help you with the pickups. As for the bridge, I'm sure there's a BadAss bridge that will fit your existing mounting hole pattern. Many pro bassists, including Geddy, use them.

Check out this thread on BadAss bridges:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...32739&hl=badass

Something else to think about: If you're willing to dump that kind of money into this bass, how much more would you need to spend on a better bass that already has a good bridge and good pickups? Maybe not much more?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 5 2008, 03:28 PM)
Cyg will be better able to help you with the pickups. As for the bridge, I'm sure there's a BadAss bridge that will fit your existing mounting hole pattern. Many pro bassists, including Geddy, use them.

Check out this thread on BadAss bridges:
http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...32739&hl=badass

Something else to think about: If you're willing to dump that kind of money into this bass, how much more would you need to spend on a better bass that already has a good bridge and good pickups? Maybe not much more?

Well I do love the way my Ibanez feels when I play it, I just want to squeeze some better sound out of it. The next step up for me would be either a GL or Marcus Miller Signature Jazz Bass, but that would be much more than the some $250 in hardware for my Ibanez.

Can anyone offer some wisdom on pickups?

So, you have standard passive P/J pickups in that bass...

For passive pickups, I would go with Lindy Fralins... it doesn't get any better than his offerings...

For active (provided there is room in the bass cavity for the electronics), I would go with an EMG setup...

I've heard good things about DiMarzio pickups. They're affordable too. At one point, I was considering upgrading the pickups in my Yamaha RBX170 (same issue: I love the feel and playability but the electronics are horrid since it's a low-priced instrument). I saw a P/J hybrid set for $120 on Musician's Friend.

You can check out the reviews at Harmony Central to get a feel for what's out there. It's not like you can try out several models and return them.

Edited by ofsalesmen

QUOTE (ofsalesmen @ Mar 5 2008, 06:34 PM)
I've heard good things about DiMarzio pickups. They're affordable too. At one point, I was considering upgrading the pickups in my Yamaha RBX170 (same issue: I love the feel and playability but the electronics are horrid since it's a low-priced instrument). I saw a P/J hybrid set for $120 on Musician's Friend.

You can check out the reviews at Harmony Central to get a feel for what's out there. It's not like you can try out several models and return them.

yea, i've heard DiMarzios were really good, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani use them

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Mar 6 2008, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (ofsalesmen @ Mar 5 2008, 06:34 PM)

yea, i've heard DiMarzios were really good, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani use them

A lot of people swear by DiMarzios, including some of the hardest rocking professional guitarists and bassists. I think if you want a strong powerful raw sound, go for DiMarzios; if you want something a little more clean, get the EMGs.

Would it make any sense to put dimarzios on the neck pickups for the punchy sound, then use an EMG for the bridge pickup for the mellower jazzy sound? That way I could get one or the other, or both?

If you are looking for a vintage Fender sound, again Lindy Fralin is the way to go...

http://www.fralinpickups.com/bass.asp

It will run you $120 for the P pickup, and $80 for the J pickup...

Lindy makes a quality product... btw, he is the one that everybody goes to for vintage pickup repair...

definitely worth looking into. trink39.gif

Edited by rushbass