'Tron' to receive upgrade

Jack Aubrey

Why re-make it?! What's needed is a sequel! Anyway, here's the skinny from Dark Horizons

Disney has hired writers Brian Klugman and Lee Sternthal to pen a remake of "Tron," the 1982 film about a computer programmer who gets sucked into the world of a computer program reports today's Variety.

The original movie, written and directed by Steven Lisberger, was considered ahead of its time. Klugman and Sternthal, who just wrote the historical epic "Warrior" for Gavin O'Connor to direct and Icon to produce and are almost finished work on a "Black Cat" script for director Chuck Russell, feel that the world has caught up with Lisberger's original concept, making it ripe for a remake.

"It was remembered not only for story, but a visual style that nobody had ever used before. We are contemporizing it, taking these ideas that were ahead of the curve and applying them to the present, and we feel the film now has a chance to resonate with a young audience." said Klugman.

Sternthal said the new conceit is that the computer programmer gets trapped in a cyberworld, so that the film can utilize the Internet. "In a lot of ways, ('Tron') was a movie about a man venturing into hell. Our job will be to keep the humanity as he ventures into an unreal world."

The video game was cool too....the best part was the motorcycle game where you had to cut off your opponent using light trails, similar to the film.

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Jan 18 2005, 02:15 PM)
I did like the movie, when I saw it. But, then, my immagination is strong, and can get into almost any movie. A remake then a sequel would be kewl.

Maybe its just me, but I'm really tired of this brand of entertainments brand of remaking and sequalling everything in sight. There hasnt been a decent new idea in Hollywood in years. The last movies I saw in the movie theatre were Return of the King and Matrix Revolutions. Now the RoTK I can understand and want a sequal for, there were 3 books. But that 3rd Matrix I could do without. I didnt see a single movie in 2004 and 2005 isnt looking like its gona be any different.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jan 18 2005, 11:08 PM)
I did like the movie, when I saw it.  But, then, my immagination is strong, and can get into almost any movie.  A remake then a sequel would be kewl.

Maybe its just me, but I'm really tired of this brand of entertainments brand of remaking and sequalling everything in sight. There hasnt been a decent new idea in Hollywood in years. The last movies I saw in the movie theatre were Return of the King and Matrix Revolutions. Now the RoTK I can understand and want a sequal for, there were 3 books. But that 3rd Matrix I could do without. I didnt see a single movie in 2004 and 2005 isnt looking like its gona be any different.

I hear that. Movies aren't as good as they used to be.

As for the remake, I really think that there should be a sequel. I too am gatting tired of these remakes and unoriginal ideas.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jan 19 2005, 02:08 AM)
I did like the movie, when I saw it.  But, then, my immagination is strong, and can get into almost any movie.  A remake then a sequel would be kewl.

Here, here. Come up with an original idea for a change.