Sourdough

Tull Fan Too

Lucky, I love eating it. I think if I cooked something the whole house would burn to nothing.

QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Jan 9 2008, 07:39 PM)
Is anyone here interested in making bread/ baked goods out of sourdough? I've just recently gotten into it and it's good stuff! smile.gif

LOVE sourdough bread!!

i do make it using my bread machine

but i haven't in a few months because i share custody of my bread machine with my oldest daughters father...

it's his turn for visitation at the moment laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Jan 10 2008, 11:28 AM)
I've never heard of visitation rights for an inanimate object before. laugh.gif

I have no experience with bread machines, although my Mom has one that she uses occasionally. I make mine the old-fashioned way. smile.gif

well, it's one of those things...

BUT...

i found out today that we just "acquired" a bread machine of our very own!!!

common001.gif

For anyone who is interested in getting into sourdough, here is a little bit of a primer.

First you must create what is called a "starter". This is the basis of all your sourdough recipes. A starter is the home for your wild yeast.

Here are two ways to start a starter:

Milk Starter

Set one cup of milk in a room-temperature place (kitchen counter is good) for a couple of days, or until it smells sour. Then stir in one cup of flour. Let this sit until it starts to get bubbly (should take about 2-5 days).

Water Starter

Mix one cup of lukewarm water with one cup of flour. Let sit until bubbly (about 4-5 days).

If there are no bubbles in your starter by the fifth day, throw it out and start over. The same thing goes if colored mold starts growing on top. If your starter does get moldy, it usually means the mixture was too dry- use a little less liquid next time. (My starter is the consistency of pancake batter, or maybe a little thicker.) If at any time your starter turns pink or orange, throw it out- that usually means there is bacteria growing in it.

Feeding Your Starter

You should now have one cup of starter (one cup of liquid + one cup of flour = one cup of starter). However, many sourdough recipes call for one cup of starter, so in order to have some left for later you need to double your starter. To do this, simply add one cup of water or milk and one cup of flour to the mixture. (Never feed your starter with anything except water/milk and flour.) Let it sit out for at least a few hours. (I usually let mine sit out overnight if I feed it in the evening, or for the entire day if I feed it in the morning.) Now you can remove what you need for your recipe and you will still have some left for later.

Storing Your Starter

It's a good idea to use a container that holds at least twice the capacity of the amount of starter you plan to keep on hand. Yeast, by definition, makes things rise, and your starter might "boil over" if it doesn't have enough room to expand. You can use any kind of plastic, glass, or ceramic container you please to hold the starter. DO NOT fasten any kind of lid on the container so that it is airtight, especially if you are using a glass container- it could explode! Starter that is not used and fed every day should be stored in the refrigerator. Even in the refrigerator, it will need to be fed at least every week or two- if you don't plan to use the starter enough to use up that much, either throw away or give away the extra. Starter can also be frozen for up to six months at a time.

In a couple of days I'll start posting recipes that you can use your starter with. smile.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jan 10 2008, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Jan 10 2008, 11:28 AM)
I've never heard of visitation rights for an inanimate object before.  laugh.gif

I have no experience with bread machines, although my Mom has one that she uses occasionally.  I make mine the old-fashioned way. smile.gif

well, it's one of those things...

BUT...

i found out today that we just "acquired" a bread machine of our very own!!!

common001.gif

Congrats! smile.gif You'll have to post some of your favorite recipes- maybe I can pass them along to my Mom, she is always looking for inspiration for her bread machine.

i used to have an adult organ student with MS that bought about 10 or 12 bread machines in a row - LOOKING for the right one - and almost "Lost It" (mentally over these machines -

she ended up baking in her oven -

she never did learn how to play the organ -

she also bought about 10 or 12 expensive oragans that was supposed to do everything (just like the bread machines) and ended up selling them -

expensive organs and bread machines belong in the junk pile - just like i-pods (oops) j/k

Edited by rayzray

Most sourdough recipes fit into one of two catagories: either the sourdough is used to leaven whatever you are baking, or it is just used for the the taste. In this recipe, it is used more for flavoring, but that doesn't mean it tastes sour. It's kind of the same idea as sour cream coffee cake. Anyway, here's the recipe:

SOURDOUGH GINGERBREAD

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 stick butter

1/2 cup molasses

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 flour

1 teaspoon ginger

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 cup hot water (see note)

1 cup sourdough starter

Cream butter and sugar together. Add molasses and egg, beating well. Mix dry ingredients together and stir in hot water. Beat this into the first mixture. Carefully stir in the sourdough starter. Bake in an 8-inch square pan for 30-30 minutes or until set. Serve very hot with whipped cream.

NOTE: The original recipe for this called for 1/2 cup of water. Somehow I misread this, and didn't notice until I'd already devoured two slices hot from the oven and was sitting down to copy the recipe! Made this way, the gingerbread has a consistency somewhere between a cake and pudding. Personally I thought it turned out great, but if you want your gingerbread more on the cake side of things, decrease the water by half.

QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Jan 29 2008, 07:54 PM)
Most sourdough recipes fit into one of two catagories: either the sourdough is used to leaven whatever you are baking, or it is just used for the the taste. In this recipe, it is used more for flavoring, but that doesn't mean it tastes sour. It's kind of the same idea as sour cream coffee cake. Anyway, here's the recipe:

SOURDOUGH GINGERBREAD

1/2 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 flour
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup hot water (see note)
1 cup sourdough starter

Cream butter and sugar together. Add molasses and egg, beating well. Mix dry ingredients together and stir in hot water. Beat this into the first mixture. Carefully stir in the sourdough starter. Bake in an 8-inch square pan for 30-30 minutes or until set. Serve very hot with whipped cream.

NOTE: The original recipe for this called for 1/2 cup of water. Somehow I misread this, and didn't notice until I'd already devoured two slices hot from the oven and was sitting down to copy the recipe! Made this way, the gingerbread has a consistency somewhere between a cake and pudding. Personally I thought it turned out great, but if you want your gingerbread more on the cake side of things, decrease the water by half.

ohmy.gif

I love sourdough bread.

This recipe looks especially scrumptious!

QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Jan 10 2008, 12:39 AM)
Is anyone here interested in making bread/ baked goods out of sourdough? I've just recently gotten into it and it's good stuff! smile.gif

Hello tull fan just read your post about sourdoughs very interesting for me as my job is a bread baker,i have tried to develop a range of sourdoughs for the bakery i work at with some success so will try your method many thanks RM biggrin.gif

QUOTE (RUSHMAN999 @ Feb 1 2008, 04:48 PM)
QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Jan 10 2008, 12:39 AM)
Is anyone here interested in making bread/ baked goods out of sourdough?  I've just recently gotten into it and it's good stuff!  smile.gif

Hello tull fan just read your post about sourdoughs very interesting for me as my job is a bread baker,i have tried to develop a range of sourdoughs for the bakery i work at with some success so will try your method many thanks RM biggrin.gif

That's very cool! If I were looking for a job right now I'd try to find a bakery to work for- one that really makes their bread from scratch, not some kind of pre-packaged frozen dough that you thaw out and call "fresh-baked".

More recipes coming soon..... stay tuned.

QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Jan 11 2008, 01:15 PM)
Water Starter
Mix one cup of lukewarm water with one cup of flour. Let sit until bubbly (about 4-5 days).

You can accomplish the water / flour starter much easier and faster with stone ground organic rye flour.

Start with equal parts water / flour by weight (2 oz is enough), let it go a few days until you see noticeable activity. Feed with equal parts (2 oz) rye flour and water a couple of more times, and then you'll have it going well. After this you can start feeding just water and bread flour, and its ready to use.

Rye flour starters are quite durable - I can go 3 weeks between uses with this method.

I cheat a bit and use some instant yeast along with the starter. I get a decent souring and the yeast helps guarantee the rise. Here is my method:

Night Before:

3/4c water

1/4c milk

1/4c starter

1.5c bread flour

Stir together - don't worry if its lumpy.

Next Morning - you'll see that the starter has done its juju on it

Add:

1.5c bread flour

1/2T instant yeast

1/2T kosher salt

Optional:

1T sugar

2T butter

I use a KitchenAid mixer to knead that together until it becomes a bit cohesive, then give it 5 minutes on speed 2. Turn into a slightly oiled bowl.

Here's where I vary it.

If I am wanting a regular loaf I'll let the dough rise until double, then stretch the dough out to a rectangle, and then fold to fit in a buttered loaf pan. Let rise again until double.

If I am making a free form loaf I will let the dough rise 45 minutes (regardless of rise). Then stretch the dough out, and fold up like an envelope. Let rest 45 minutes. Repeat stretch and fold 1 or 2 more times. Then shape and let rise until double.

Slash and bake at 425 degrees for 30-40 minutes (depends on your oven).

The latter method helps to develop that shattering crust that is sooooooo good...

QUOTE (Don Quixote @ Feb 21 2008, 03:53 PM)
QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Jan 11 2008, 01:15 PM)
Water Starter
Mix one cup of lukewarm water with one cup of flour.  Let sit until bubbly (about 4-5 days).

You can accomplish the water / flour starter much easier and faster with stone ground organic rye flour.

Start with equal parts water / flour by weight (2 oz is enough), let it go a few days until you see noticeable activity. Feed with equal parts (2 oz) rye flour and water a couple of more times, and then you'll have it going well. After this you can start feeding just water and bread flour, and its ready to use.

Rye flour starters are quite durable - I can go 3 weeks between uses with this method.

I cheat a bit and use some instant yeast along with the starter. I get a decent souring and the yeast helps guarantee the rise. Here is my method:

Night Before:

3/4c water

1/4c milk

1/4c starter

1.5c bread flour

Stir together - don't worry if its lumpy.

Next Morning - you'll see that the starter has done its juju on it

Add:

1.5c bread flour

1/2T instant yeast

1/2T kosher salt

Optional:

1T sugar

2T butter

I use a KitchenAid mixer to knead that together until it becomes a bit cohesive, then give it 5 minutes on speed 2. Turn into a slightly oiled bowl.

Here's where I vary it.

If I am wanting a regular loaf I'll let the dough rise until double, then stretch the dough out to a rectangle, and then fold to fit in a buttered loaf pan. Let rise again until double.

If I am making a free form loaf I will let the dough rise 45 minutes (regardless of rise). Then stretch the dough out, and fold up like an envelope. Let rest 45 minutes. Repeat stretch and fold 1 or 2 more times. Then shape and let rise until double.

Slash and bake at 425 degrees for 30-40 minutes (depends on your oven).

The latter method helps to develop that shattering crust that is sooooooo good...

Very cool! I've made an overnight sponge with rye flour before, but I'd never thought of using it to feed the starter. I have a whole bag of rye flour that I'm trying to find uses for- I'm going to try this out. smile.gif

These are very easy to make, and taste as good or better than anything you can buy at IHOP.

SOURDOUGH PANCAKES

2 cups sourdough starter

1 tablespoon sugar

3 tablespoons oil

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 scant teaspoon baking soda

Mix the sugar, oil, egg, and salt into the starter. Once your griddle is hot and everything else is ready, sprinkle the soda over the batter and stir it in gently. Once the soda is mixed in, avoid stirring the batter as much as possible. Cook on a hot oiled griddle.