New cat

Kid_Gloves

My best friend Sabrina is going off to college, therefore, I had to adopt her kitty, Dixie. Dixie is very skittish and timid, while my parents have two crazy Chihuahuas and I have a very large, very dominant cat, Cybill. I just took Dixie home today. I set her up in the guest room to give her time to adjust to her new surroundings before meeting the other animals. However, she won't even come out from under the dresser. My cat, Cybill, knows something is up and she keeps lurking angrily around the guest room door. How can I make Dixie feel at home and not be so scared, and how can I help she and Cybill get along?

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Congrats on the new kitty! I have 5 in my house - although only three belong to me.

The number one factor to help Dixie adjust is going to be time. Unless cats are really young kittens (and sorta don't know whats really going on) they'll always start out being very timid (if not hiding) and begin by staying very localized to a small area and over time they will start to explore outwards and discover their new habitat.

My theory is that cats must always have an escape route to their hiding spot planned out in case anything traumatic happens such as being startled... so even as Dixie begins to explore you can be sure she will b-line it back to that room any time she gets scared or something.

I'm not sure how well you knew Dixie before adopting her but she surely feels quite traumatized and alone at this point - so any time you can spend with her there in that room - even relaxing or talking to her without trying to force her out of hiding... that will help build her confidence and friendship with you. If possible you may even want to sleep in that room tonight just so she is more familiar with having you around and will help her relax. That is one thing I make sure I do whenever I get a new cat or babysit one for a friend.

Also I'm sure you already did this but you want to make sure she has everything she needs in that room for now - water, food and litter - so that she'll be comfy and be able to start to explore her new realm on her terms - not just when she has to to poop or eat. I've never had problems with later moving the location of the litter box - so long as you show the cat they should get the drift and be able to find the litter in the new spot after you do decide to move it.

Regarding the other animals... you may want to wait a day or two it may not matter but she'll have to meet her new buddies some time. I'd probably start with an intro to your other cat. Cats and dogs are pretty smart so if you show your other animals that Dixie is your friend - by holding her or petting her when she meets the other animals - the others will clue into the fact that she is a friendly in the house. I'm sure they'll still be very curious and even a bit jealous sometimes as they adjust to Dixie - but at least they'll respect the fact that Dixie is your friend, so by translation they will make her their friend also.

Good luck with the new cat! I hope she adjusts quickly - every cat is different some may adjust real fast or some can take several days. It's nice of you to adopt an animal in need of a good home and we look forward to seeing some cat pictures.

cat.gif

also, if you are going to bring her up as an indoor cat (like ours), make sure that as soon as she wants to go to the toilet, put her in her toilet to show her where it is straight away otherwise you'll find it hard getting her to poo in the right place laugh.gif

Our cat always poos in her toilet. In fact she hates it when its dirty and won't go back in until its cleaned ph34r.gif

I'm sure you already know this if you have other cats in the house. smile.gif

She will gain confidence in time.

You already have some great advice up there. biggrin.gif

I know that when we got MalNar just a few months ago,

Domino, our first cat, was all over her trying to be dominant.

I thought by trying to keep MalNar away, like in a seperate room,

would be good. But I was told to let her roam free and let her

always have access to the extra room just like Godeater2112 said. biggrin.gif

We had a dog that was friendly when MalNar came to the house

but MalNar wanted NOTHING to do with the pup. sad.gif I guess it was

her instinct that the dog would harm her.

Good Luck Katie. heart.gif

I wub.gif cats. You did a great thing.

Early last autumn we lost our beloved Villma fists crying.gif and found out that our 5 yrs old male Villhelm was not enough to cover the loss. Poor Villhelm, he tries his best but he is a bit inbound. So.... we got a puppy, called Sverre, and a new kitty, called Linda Berit, for the puppy to play with. Villhelm is not so keen on playing with the 2 little rascals. But they play well togher! In fact, I had to throw out the Christmas tree almost before Chrismas Day because they overturned it several times..... wacko.gif But it is fun! laugh.gif They bring a lot of joy!

As Godeater2112 and CeeJ wrote, I think time is what is needed for Cybill and Dixie to get along. smile.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jan 2 2008, 04:12 PM)
Congrats on the new kitty! I have 5 in my house - although only three belong to me.

The number one factor to help Dixie adjust is going to be time. Unless cats are really young kittens (and sorta don't know whats really going on) they'll always start out being very timid (if not hiding) and begin by staying very localized to a small area and over time they will start to explore outwards and discover their new habitat.

My theory is that cats must always have an escape route to their hiding spot planned out in case anything traumatic happens such as being startled... so even as Dixie begins to explore you can be sure she will b-line it back to that room any time she gets scared or something.

I'm not sure how well you knew Dixie before adopting her but she surely feels quite traumatized and alone at this point - so any time you can spend with her there in that room - even relaxing or talking to her without trying to force her out of hiding... that will help build her confidence and friendship with you. If possible you may even want to sleep in that room tonight just so she is more familiar with having you around and will help her relax. That is one thing I make sure I do whenever I get a new cat or babysit one for a friend.

Also I'm sure you already did this but you want to make sure she has everything she needs in that room for now - water, food and litter - so that she'll be comfy and be able to start to explore her new realm on her terms - not just when she has to to poop or eat. I've never had problems with later moving the location of the litter box - so long as you show the cat they should get the drift and be able to find the litter in the new spot after you do decide to move it.

Regarding the other animals... you may want to wait a day or two it may not matter but she'll have to meet her new buddies some time. I'd probably start with an intro to your other cat. Cats and dogs are pretty smart so if you show your other animals that Dixie is your friend - by holding her or petting her when she meets the other animals - the others will clue into the fact that she is a friendly in the house. I'm sure they'll still be very curious and even a bit jealous sometimes as they adjust to Dixie - but at least they'll respect the fact that Dixie is your friend, so by translation they will make her their friend also.

Good luck with the new cat! I hope she adjusts quickly - every cat is different some may adjust real fast or some can take several days. It's nice of you to adopt an animal in need of a good home and we look forward to seeing some cat pictures.

cat.gif

These are exactly the things we did when we first got my cat, Cinnamon. Works well. Keep it in a small area (barricaded / blocked off). Avoid just putting her in a room, closing the door. They are part of the family! 653.gif

Even though my cat has entered her fourteenth year with us (I've grown up with her.. Aww. I love her so much!) when we first got her she was six months old.. And they were gonna put her down/abandon her cos she was part of an unwanted litter and they were moving house.. sad.gif. We took her in and at first all she did was hide behind my Dad's chair. During the night when we were all asleep I found her on the stairs and stuff having a look around.. So I think it just takes time and a lot of friendly encouragement. As for your other cat, I really have no clue, but I wish I had a friend for my puss sad.gif.

Archived