Is it true..?

The Captain

I did the car door trick as a kid - lots of stitches later it was in one piece again! It's only as I've got older that it's started to play up - especially in cold damp weather. But... that nail doesn't break or chi like the other nine.

It's like the old joke:

Man traps his hand in the door. Doc says it's all OK. Man asks will I be able to play the piano after? Doctor says of course. Man says well I couldn't before....

Sorry it's a very old and bad joke but I couldn't resist. I'll get my coat...

QUOTE (Angua @ Nov 28 2007, 08:56 AM)
I did the car door trick as a kid - lots of stitches later it was in one piece again! It's only as I've got older that it's started to play up - especially in cold damp weather. But... that nail doesn't break or chi like the other nine.

It's like the old joke:
Man traps his hand in the door. Doc says it's all OK. Man asks will I be able to play the piano after? Doctor says of course. Man says well I couldn't before....

Sorry it's a very old and bad joke but I couldn't resist. I'll get my coat...

Yup! Funny that isn't it? Half of my thumb nail on my other hand continually keeps falling off because there's permanent damage there. When I shown my GP she asked if I'd had any trauma to the nail... I said no, but I have on the other hand!!

The one I trapped in the car door? Fine and dandy. Slightly deformed, and it can be painful (like yours) in the bitter cold.. But it's not the nail that's constantly falling off.. lol.

I'm actually glad this topic was brought up.. I was weirded out by the extreme sharp pain in it in the depths Winter.. So it's nice to know I'm not alone.

P.S. That joke is very poor form, my friend! wink.gif

QUOTE (Noisy Bastard @ Nov 28 2007, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 28 2007, 02:22 AM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Nov 27 2007, 05:16 PM)

I wonder how Geddy almost got his finger chopped off...?

I heard that is was in a poker game.

spit6ph.gif

dude... your name rocks.. did you get that from the Rush In Rio documentary when Geddy talks spacificlly about his middle finger? cool.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Nov 27 2007, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE (OBaterista! @ Nov 27 2007, 05:09 PM)
i remember in the boys in rio documentary he did have a problem with arthritis in that middle finger.  He calls it his "noisy bastard"

I thought it was tendonitis, no?

I remember in the RiR documentary that he said the tendon of his middle finger on his plucking hand was "seriously stretched" or something to that effect.

QUOTE (nimagraven @ Nov 28 2007, 10:06 AM)
QUOTE (Angua @ Nov 28 2007, 08:56 AM)
I did the car door trick as a kid - lots of stitches later it was in one piece again!  It's only as I've got older that it's started to play up - especially in cold damp weather.  But... that nail doesn't break or chi like the other nine. 

It's like the old joke:
Man traps his hand in the door.  Doc says it's all OK.  Man asks will I be able to play the piano after?  Doctor says of course.  Man says well I couldn't before....

Sorry it's a very old and bad joke but I couldn't resist.  I'll get my coat...

Yup! Funny that isn't it? Half of my thumb nail on my other hand continually keeps falling off because there's permanent damage there. When I shown my GP she asked if I'd had any trauma to the nail... I said no, but I have on the other hand!!

The one I trapped in the car door? Fine and dandy. Slightly deformed, and it can be painful (like yours) in the bitter cold.. But it's not the nail that's constantly falling off.. lol.

I'm actually glad this topic was brought up.. I was weirded out by the extreme sharp pain in it in the depths Winter.. So it's nice to know I'm not alone.

P.S. That joke is very poor form, my friend! wink.gif

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

I actually had the tip of my index finger sliced off as a kid as well and I play bass and I'm learning guitar. I gotta say that I do have tough tips on my fingers from my callouses that developed when I started to play music obviously. But the tip that I sliced off actually has grown back stronger than my other fingers, definite difference.

I wouldn't attribute my bass or guitar playing to any of my injuries that I've had but I will say that it makes for longer practice sessions because I can practice longer without my fingers hurting too quickly.

QUOTE (gotbass1228 @ Nov 28 2007, 11:28 AM)
QUOTE (Noisy Bastard @ Nov 28 2007, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 28 2007, 02:22 AM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Nov 27 2007, 05:16 PM)

I wonder how Geddy almost got his finger chopped off...?

I heard that is was in a poker game.

spit6ph.gif

dude... your name rocks.. did you get that from the Rush In Rio documentary when Geddy talks spacificlly about his middle finger? cool.gif 1022.gif

Thanks! And yes.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Nov 28 2007, 03:44 PM)
This is why I can't play the bass guitar. I'm going to visit a woodshop after work. GeddyFinal.gif

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

Dude it's soooo not worth it. It hurts like a bitch to get the tip of your finger sliced off! yes.gif

Wow, YBT, you learn something new about people everyday!

And I sympathise with you.. It hurt like a BITCH to have done to me what I had done... So to actually have the tip of my finger missing? I can't imagine. But I count my blessings.. I was lucky! And even luckier not to have a fracture or a break. I really did slam my thumb in the car door that day.

It's weird, I didn't appreciate it at the time, but I do now.. Especially after I've heard so many similar stories where people have had the tips of their fingers completely severed!

QUOTE (nimagraven @ Nov 28 2007, 05:21 PM)
Wow, YBT, you learn something new about people everyday!

And I sympathise with you.. It hurt like a BITCH to have done to me what I had done... So to actually have the tip of my finger missing? I can't imagine. But I count my blessings.. I was lucky! And even luckier not to have a fracture or a break. I really did slam my thumb in the car door that day.

It's weird, I didn't appreciate it at the time, but I do now.. Especially after I've heard so many similar stories where people have had the tips of their fingers completely severed!

Yeah but it didn't really disfigure my hands. My hands are actually complimented on a lot. It wasn't a lot of the tip, just a bit but they sewed it up good. You can only see the scar if you look very careful and I point it out. But that patch of skin is definitely a lot tougher then my other tips.

It was actually very weird how the whole thing happened. It was when we had just moved in here and there little pieces of mirror on the closet doors in little tiles. And we had to remove them, I was only 8 at the time so I thought I could help out. I didn't realize that my parents were using a special tool and gloves when removing them so I went to help by removing the ones in my room. I didn't know that mirror is glass and so the tip got severed along with my nail...blood everywhere...it was interesting. tongue.gif

QUOTE (chicagorush @ Nov 28 2007, 05:49 PM)
I heard that his middle finger is bionic so that he can play better as well as flip people off faster. tongue.gif

oh and Gene Simmons Tongue is actually a cows Tongue wacko.gif

And if you believe either of those rumours, I got some magic beans I'd like to sell ya! tongue.gif

Archived