Eastern Promises

rushgoober

David Cronenberg is undoubtedly one of my very favorite directors (and he just happens to be Canadian, not unlike a certain band I'm a major fan of*). wink.gif

Eastern Promises isn't the freakshow that some of my very favorite movies of his are (Crash, eXistenZ, Naked Lunch). It's more in line with a movie like A History of Violence where it's fairly plausible, if a bit extreme.

I don't want to say too much about the plot and give things away, except to say it's about the Russian mafia in London, and relationships between people. The acting is outstanding, and Viggo Mortenson especially is superb. I wouldn't be surprised if he got an Oscar nomination for his role. The fight scene he was in was especially brave (you'll know what I mean if you see it).

It's Cronenberg, so naturally it's a somewhat dark movie, though his movies aren't quite so devoid of emotion as they used to be. The relationships between the characters are fascinating, and it's exploration of some of the seedier side of life, along with its contrast to a more sane and compassionate lifestyle, is extremely well portrayed.

Overall another great work from a brilliant director.

*WARNING* - EXTREME VIOLENCE - not for the kids or the feint of heart. no.gif

*Triumph, of course. yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif no.gif yes.gif

Edited by rushgoober

I am really excited to see this one! I just love Cronenberg's movies. His style is unfathomable and the complexities he is able to put on screen is just fabulous! I really loved A History of Violence and I heard this is in the same vein as that one was, so I am definitely going to see it. biggrin.gif

Thanks for not spoiling it for me Gary!

Easily Cronenberg's best movie IMO.

Just hope people realized this is not the typical bizarre outlandish stuff he does.

It is actually a very compelling story albeit with excessive violence in certain scenes but served its purpose in portraying reality. Russian gangster life is NOT very pretty at all.

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 1 2007, 04:30 PM)

Just hope people realized this is not the typical bizarre outlandish stuff he does.

My favorite movies by him are the super-weird ones. Crash, Naked Lunch and eXistenZ just blow my mind. I love mindf*ck movies like that. yes.gif

Don't get me wrong, I think A History of Violence and Eastern Promises are very mature works. They're got far more mainstream accessibility. I appreciate the stories and how well they're portrayed immensely. If he never goes back and makes a really over the top weird film, but continues to make films of this caliber, I won't be dissapointed. no.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 1 2007, 08:36 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 1 2007, 04:30 PM)

My favorite movies by him are the super-weird ones. Crash, Naked Lunch and eXistenZ just blow my mind. I love mindf*ck movies like that. yes.gif

Don't get me wrong, I think A History of Violence and Eastern Promises are very mature works. They're got far more mainstream accessibility. I appreciate the stories and how well they're portrayed immensely. If he never goes back and makes a really over the top weird film, but continues to make films of this caliber, I won't be dissapointed. no.gif

I know what you're saying, just pointing out to people who are usually turned off by his weird stuff to not dismiss Eastern Promises as such because it definitely isn't.

This movie deserves to be checked out regardless of Cronenberg's reputation for off the wall movies.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Oct 4 2007, 12:15 PM)
I really need to go see this one while it's still in theaters... I also need to go rent more of Cronenberg's other films. Only ones I've seen are Scanners and A History of Violence... but Naked Lunch looks really, really awesome.

Naked Lunch is so truly and wonderfully f*cked up. I so need to own this on dvd. yes.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 4 2007, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Oct 4 2007, 12:15 PM)
I really need to go see this one while it's still in theaters... I also need to go rent more of Cronenberg's other films. Only ones I've seen are Scanners and A History of Violence... but Naked Lunch looks really, really awesome.

Naked Lunch is so truly and wonerfully f*cked up. I so need to own this on dvd. yes.gif

Criterion has been very kind to Cronenberg. The Naked Lunch and Videodrome DVDs are amazing. The booklet that comes with Naked Lunch is worth the price alone.

http://www.criterion.com/content/images/full_boxshot/248_box_348x490.jpg http://www.criterion.com/content/images/full_boxshot/220_box_348x490.jpg

http://www.criterion.com/content/images/full_boxshot/21_box_348x490.jpg

Cronenberg apreesh. common001.gif

Edited by Storm Shadow