David Gilmour- Remember that Night DVD

The Owl

I picked up the new David Gilmour "Remember that night" DVD that came out yesterday. It was amazing. I unfortunatly didn't get to see in last saturday when It was in select theaters, and I had a theater close to be able to see it, but I had to work.

But I watched it today, and WOW. This DVD is a must buy for any Floyd Fan, for any Rock fan, for any Music fan.

What are you waiting for run down to Best Buy and go get it, NOW!

I was sooo disappointed I didn't get to see this in the theaters. I was looking forward to it but I had an ASU marching band gig that saturday. From what i've heard this DVD is pretty much amazing, and i'm glad that Gilmour dug back into the good ol' Floyd vaults and picked out some gems.

QUOTE (Natch @ Sep 21 2007, 09:49 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 21 2007, 08:55 AM)
I forgot about this!!!

I have to go to Best Buy today. yes.gif

laugh.gif Me too!! How could I have been so forgetful??

biggrin.gif

I just ordered it from Best Buy for $11.99, and can pick it up today at my local store. You can't beat twelve bucks for a DVD!

bncegrn.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 21 2007, 10:08 AM)
I forgot about this!!!

biggrin.gif

I just ordered it from Best Buy for $11.99, and can pick it up today at my local store. You can't beat twelve bucks for a DVD!

bncegrn.gif

That's a total bargain! I gotta stop there on the way home tonight. The house is gonna be rockin' tonight!

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 21 2007, 08:08 AM)
I forgot about this!!!

biggrin.gif

bncegrn.gif

Nice grab there GG! Guess I need to go check Best Buy out.

I only watched a little of this last night, but WOW. It sounds and looks really, really great.

Also the 2-DVD set from Best Buy came with an exclusive CD with three live tracks... biggrin.gif

If you're a Floyd fan, GET THIS DVD.

The performance of "Echoes" in its entirety is worth the twelve bucks alone. It sounds AMAZING. The visuals are perfect as well.

What I've discovered about watching David perform at this stage in his career is that he is HAPPY. It's obvious that he is having the time of his life, and by extension, so are the people on stage playing with him. There are constant but casual smiles exchanged between Dave and Rick, and just about everyone else on stage as well. It's just wonderful to hear this music played expertly by musicians who clearly love what they're doing.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 22 2007, 11:39 AM)
If you're a Floyd fan, GET THIS DVD.

The performance of "Echoes" in its entirety is worth the twelve bucks alone. It sounds AMAZING. The visuals are perfect as well.

What I've discovered about watching David perform at this stage in his career is that he is HAPPY. It's obvious that he is having the time of his life, and by extension, so are the people on stage playing with him. There are constant but casual smiles exchanged between Dave and Rick, and just about everyone else on stage as well. It's just wonderful to hear this music played expertly by musicians who clearly love what they're doing.

The version of Echoes was awesome One of my personal faviorate moments was the alternate arrangement on "Shine on You Crazy Diamond". I still havent got around to disc 2 yet (30 hours of work this weekend). But I will probably get to it tommorow.

I finally got a chance to watch this DVD yesterday. It brought me right back to when I saw the show at Radio City in NYC. The crowd is obviously there for the Pink Floyd stuff. And, although the band played quite a bit from the "On an Island" album in the first set, they certainly made it worth the wait for the fans. The second set was excellent. Echoes was awesome! Like GG said, this was worth the price of the DVD alone. I like all the extras that came with the DVD, such as bonus tracks. Astronomy Domine was a nice bonus. It was nice to see Gilmour and Wright together, enjoying themselves. A Pink Floyd / Gilmour fan would love this DVD.

Overall, I rate this DVD 4 out of 4 stars. Or, 2 thumbs up if you prefer.

If you haven't yet purchased this DVD...DROP WHAT YOU'RE DOING NOW AND GO BUY IT!!

Also, how cool was the moment David and Rog met up for just a minute?

I loved the "Breaking Bread, Drinking Wine" documentary also.

I just loved the whole damn thing. Can you tell? laugh.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 25 2007, 11:07 AM)
Also, how cool was the moment David and Rog met up for just a minute?

I loved the "Breaking Bread, Drinking Wine" documentary also.

I just loved the whole damn thing. Can you tell? laugh.gif

I still haven't seen the all of the bonus stuff yet. So. I'll have to check out the "Breaking Bread" documentary.

Dave and Roger meeting for a moment was nice.

And no, it's not too obvious that you loved the whole thing eyesre4.gif

I still can't sort out how I feel about Bowie on those two songs..."Arnold Layne" was great..."Numb" was so-so.

Natch, you will LOVE the documentary. The feeling I was describing in an earlier post about how everyone seems so happy to be touring together is confirmed. One of my favorite things is something that Graham Nash said...to paraphrase: "Everyone on this tour is enjoying it so much...every musician, every crew member wants to do the best job they can, and have fun doing it. You can tell a lot about a man by the people he surrounds himself with..."

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 25 2007, 12:02 PM)
I still can't sort out how I feel about Bowie on those two songs..."Arnold Layne" was great..."Numb" was so-so.

Natch, you will LOVE the documentary. The feeling I was describing in an earlier post about how everyone seems so happy to be touring together is confirmed. One of my favorite things is something that Graham Nash said...to paraphrase: "Everyone on this tour is enjoying it so much...every musician, every crew member wants to do the best job they can, and have fun doing it. You can tell a lot about a man by the people he surrounds himself with..."

biggrin.gif

Arnold Layne was pretty good. It's not something that they've played live before, so we don't really have other live performances to compare it to. It was a fresh take on the song, and it was fun to listen to.

Comfortably Numb is a song that has been played so many times live, that sometimes it sounds great, and other times not so great. I thought the Delicate Sound of Thunder version was among the best, even though Waters was absent. Dave's solo at the end was killer. This time around, it was very good, but not the best we've heard.

GG...I'll be watching it soon. As I'm sure you well know, the kids' stuff comes first wacko.gif .

What really got to me was in the bonus features.

The 2 Syd Barrett covers he did in August of 06. "Dark Globe" and "Dominoes", he did these just weeks after Syd's death on July 7th (2006). So emotional, I admit I cried during those covers.

I actually finally got to watch the rest of the Bouns Features. The 45 minute documentary that covered the European "On an Island" tour. Great comments from everyone who appeared on the tour, from Rick Wright, David Crosby, Grahm Nash, and David Bowie.

It was intresting on how Gilmour spontaniously changed his setlists, sometimes right before the show biggrin.gif . Like adding "On the Turning Away" to the Venice show.

What a great documentary (Breaking Bread and Drinking Wine) , one real Floyd highlight is when by mere "coicedence the rehersal studio they were at, while in England, Roger Waters happend to be there as well, and David went to say hello and the cameras followed. And Gilmour and Waters shared a simple hug before walking away.

Yes Roger Waters appears on this DVD as well!!!!!!! A great moment for any Floyd fan.

And there were the EASTER EGGS

easter egg 1 (One the main menu on dics 2 wait 20 seconds for a firework to go off..hit enter)- This gives a 20 second clip of David Strumming a "cumbus" (like a bango) to the tune of "Then I close my eyes"

Easter Egg 2 (On the "Royal Albert Hall sub-menu of disc 2, once again wait 20seconds for a firework and hit enter) This gives you a 30 second Dance Edit of "On an Island"

and the best

Easter Egg 3 (When selecting songs from the bonus tracks instead of clicking "Play All" click "Dark Globe" when thats finished playing you get this gem of an easter egg).................The last 6 minutes of Echoes..........acoustical!!!!!

VH1 Classic had a 60 minute version on, so I DVR'd it, and watched it yesterday. Besides the aggravating commercials, they hacked this one up pretty good and it wasn't presented well. I'll have to check out the DVD version. I looked at the set list, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why VH1 edited this one the way they did. It could have been done so much better.

Archived