My router stopped working

Moonraker

Ok, it was Tuesday, and everything was running fine. I have my router connected to the cable modem, and 2 cable wires going out to my 2 computers. I come after class and there is a message stating there is a limited connection, my connection dropped down to 0. It wasnt an unplugged setting, so there was obviously still power going through, and there was enough of a connection to state it was connected.... But theres no transfer of information sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

To get juice, I have to plug the computer directly into the cable modem, so only 1 computer can be connected at a time. Is there anyone that might have any information as to why this would suddenly fail like this?

I can't give you a specific reason but I do know first hand that they just fail sometimes. Seems only the really high dollar ones are solid. We have a large wireless network in this area and have had around 4 fail in 3 years.

The 'home' versions are cheap, not only in price but in quality.

Just go buy another one.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Dec 23 2004, 08:38 PM)
I can't give you a specific reason but I do know first hand that they just fail sometimes. Seems only the really high dollar ones are solid. We have a large wireless network in this area and have had around 4 fail in 3 years.
The 'home' versions are cheap, not only in price but in quality.
Just go buy another one.

sad.gif

I wish I knew that before hand. I still need two hookups though

Did you have 2 routers?? They make them with multiple outs. My ethernet one has 4 outputs! It was like $40.

I know it's a bummer.

I have a router hooked up to my home PC via cable connection. I was told it is better than having a firewall. I do still have Norton Anti-Virus to block anything else. I was unaware they would just quit like that. Thanks for the warning. sad.gif

Umm... ok. Now I tried unplugging the connection from Comp A to Comp B, and Comp B will not recognize the connection either. Same problem as before, limited connection without an ability to set up an IP address. I tried unplugging, replugging, turning off the cable modem, turning off the computer. Unplugging everything and turning off and replugging everything and turning on. I'm driving myself crazy, I just wanna use my new comp fists crying.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 24 2004, 12:31 AM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 23 2004, 09:30 PM)
Is there a master reset button?

on my comp? no. Tell you the truth, the last 3 new computers I've had in possetion in the last 5 years havent had one.

Think RR means the router.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 23 2004, 09:47 PM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 24 2004, 12:31 AM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Dec 23 2004, 09:30 PM)
Is there a master reset button?

on my comp? no. Tell you the truth, the last 3 new computers I've had in possetion in the last 5 years havent had one.

Think RR means the router.

nope on that either. Master reset is unplug from ac adapter and replug.

Sorry for this question..off topic. But while you guys are here...

Where is the system mixer in XP? You know, where you adjust volume, mic input, line in, ect...

Can't find it??

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Dec 23 2004, 10:01 PM)
Where is the system mixer in XP? You know, where you adjust volume, mic input, line in, ect...
Can't find it??

I dunno, I have a soundcard that runs all of that stuff. Santa Cruz Turtle Beach.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Dec 24 2004, 01:01 AM)
Can't find it??

Start ---> Control Panel ---> Sounds and Audio Devices and click Advanced

This is really pissing me off. My new computer is a veritable paperweight without an internet connection sad.gif

Now I can get it to recieve 1 packet every time I send to repair the connection. Thats about it. I also can only get this to happen when my computer is connected to the router which no longer works. If it is directly connected to the cable modem, it will not connect at all.

it's possible that your router has fried

any odd electrical surges could do it..or if you keep it in a spot that has no air ciruculation..and it just bakes it self

happend to routers i've had...say for instance..you keep it on top of your calb emodem inside your computer desk (where the tower goes)..and there's a door on that compartment....then that could do it

fried two routers like that...where some ports work some don't...try using some of the other ports first

if still no work...then just go pick up another one..

all i can tell you

dio

Ok..................

$70 and 1 new router later..... my problem isnt fixed. I am guessing its not my router that was at fault, so I am going to keep it and return the original. If it were the original, then this new one should work fine, but that is not the case. I am driving myself crazy over this, I have a feeling my cousin came in and reconfigured something or screwed something around, but I have no idea what.

Hmmmm. So the connection degrades, or you have nothing at all? I know with my router all i would have to do isa cycle the power to get it to stop acting up, but you've tried that. Are you sure you have a router, or is it a hub? What O/S are you running on both machines?

Maybe cable company is on to you! ohmy.gif

Doubtful....

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Dec 27 2004, 08:54 PM)
Hmmmm. So the connection degrades, or you have nothing at all? I know with my router all i would have to do isa cycle the power to get it to stop acting up, but you've tried that. Are you sure you have a router, or is it a hub? What O/S are you running on both machines?

Maybe cable company is on to you! ohmy.gif

Doubtful....

Both are windows XP, the router I was working with before was a Netgear RP614, and the one I just bought (and will promptly return tomorrow) is a Netgear RP614v3. The problem is that there is a limited connection when I am connected to the router and neither computer will have any sort of connection. It seems like 0 connectivity to me, but I am not entirely sure. The only way I can get a connection on my first computer is if I plug it directly into the cable modem. I cannot do the same for my second computer, be it a different network cable or the same. I am completley dumbfounded.

My cable connection was pretty simple before, plug it in and it worked. Thats how it was before I went to my final Teusday. Then I return home, and it suddenly there is the limited connection sad.gif

I am thinking that the problem may be that the modem stored the computer's Ethernet MAC address, and this is now the only MAC address that can receive a registered IP address.

Look in the settings of your router and find the part where is says something like "Router's MAC address" and click "use this computers MAC address"

Try to find that.

Archived