Favourite War/Anti-war Song

rickyrob

What is your favourite War-related Rush song?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite War-related Rush song?

• The Weapon
    • Distant Early Warning
    • Red Sector A
    • Between the Wheels
    • Manhatten project
    • Territories
    • Peaceable Kingdom
    • Another.. (..that you didn't think of Ricky!)

I love both Red Sector A and Manhattan Project, but i am going to go with MP because its a well planned out song. Great Lyrics as well yes.gif trink39.gif

Red Sector A hit me the first time I heard it and has never left me.

As for Hitler you must also look at the state of Germany in the 1930's to understand why such an extreme politician was propelled into power.

Food for thought for the coalition in Iraq.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Dec 22 2004, 05:40 PM)
Well Between the Wheels is my favourite Rush song overall, so I had to go for that. But here are a few you forgot:

By-Tor and the Snow Dog
Bastille Day
The Necromancer
Hemispheres
The Trees
Jacob's Ladder

laugh.gif

Yes I've been bd.gif already for Bastille Day. I meant real-life wars, which eliminates By-tor and The Necromancer. Hemispheres? Well, mythology shouldn't really count, but I suppose it could be used as a general war song. The Trees I see as a political song rather than a song about war. I thought Jacobs Ladder was about dying, but not necessarily war in itself. I thought of including Witch Hunt too, but this is more a song about prejudice as opposed to war directly, but could have been included as well I s'pose.

Good point though... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Dec 22 2004, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 22 2004, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (Audient @ Dec 22 2004, 12:47 PM)
This is an interesting poll and topic.  But I do have a comment -- I don't think Hitler was mad.  I used to think that.  But really, to think he was mad dismisses the fact that he was a popular and charismatic leader who rose to power within the structure of a parliamentary democracy.  He set forth his vision for Germany (Mein Kampf), was elected, and then set forth to implement his vision. 

To dismiss him as mad is to fail to understand how he rose to power -- and an important lesson is lost.

Brilliantly put, Audient! yes.gif

Good point and well taken ...I'm all ears 19.gif

I have been watching recent history programmes that show footage of his rise to power. I admit to being ignorant of all that happened and this is one of the reasons I am showing interest in the programmes.

I probably used the term 'mad' out of context, for I expect he was quite intelligent and knew exactly what he was doing. I should maybe have used the term 'evil', for anyone who can inflict pain, torture and suffering on innocent people must be nothing short of evil.

I did not intend this to be a political debate by the way.

unsure.gif

That's ok. It is a fascinating period. Study away!!!

I would suggest looking at the Treaty of Versailles. The French put such onerous demands on Germany at the end of WWI -- the seeds were sown there for Hitler's rise. Add to that the Weimar Republic, which was hoisted onto Germany when it had no experience at being a democratic state. In parliamentary elections, the Germans kept electing more and more anti-democratic candidates, mainly Nazis and Communists. Eventually, a "negative majority" was reached where the majority of the seats were held by anti-democratic parties. Hitler was elected chancellor. And then he invoked the provision in the Weimar Constitution where the chancellor could simply rule at will without regard to the reichstag, which was intended to be used only in times of national emergency, and thus went Germany's first attempt at democracy.

Did I mention I voted for Between the Wheels?

QUOTE (Audient @ Dec 23 2004, 03:01 PM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ Dec 22 2004, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 22 2004, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (Audient @ Dec 22 2004, 12:47 PM)
This is an interesting poll and topic.  But I do have a comment -- I don't think Hitler was mad.  I used to think that.  But really, to think he was mad dismisses the fact that he was a popular and charismatic leader who rose to power within the structure of a parliamentary democracy.  He set forth his vision for Germany (Mein Kampf), was elected, and then set forth to implement his vision. 

To dismiss him as mad is to fail to understand how he rose to power -- and an important lesson is lost.

Brilliantly put, Audient! yes.gif

Good point and well taken ...I'm all ears 19.gif

I have been watching recent history programmes that show footage of his rise to power. I admit to being ignorant of all that happened and this is one of the reasons I am showing interest in the programmes.

I probably used the term 'mad' out of context, for I expect he was quite intelligent and knew exactly what he was doing. I should maybe have used the term 'evil', for anyone who can inflict pain, torture and suffering on innocent people must be nothing short of evil.

I did not intend this to be a political debate by the way.

unsure.gif

That's ok. It is a fascinating period. Study away!!!

I would suggest looking at the Treaty of Versailles. The French put such onerous demands on Germany at the end of WWI -- the seeds were sown there for Hitler's rise. Add to that the Weimar Republic, which was hoisted onto Germany when it had no experience at being a democratic state. In parliamentary elections, the Germans kept electing more and more anti-democratic candidates, mainly Nazis and Communists. Eventually, a "negative majority" was reached where the majority of the seats were held by anti-democratic parties. Hitler was elected chancellor. And then he invoked the provision in the Weimar Constitution where the chancellor could simply rule at will without regard to the reichstag, which was intended to be used only in times of national emergency, and thus went Germany's first attempt at democracy.

Did I mention I voted for Between the Wheels?

Interesting Audient. I hate being ignorant of history, especially the history that has moulded our lives and created the society we have today. I have learned something more today. Cheers trink39.gif

Between the wheels for me! It was such a great surprise to see it in the setlist for the last tour.

Another anti war song with GREAT lyrics by a Toronto band that everybody should check out is "The Gulf War Song" by Moxy Fruvous! It's brilliant!

The Companion

Archived