Easiest Rush song to play?

OldRod

Ok, been playing with my guitar for a bit now, and I'm getting the hang of it, but I'm growing tired of chords and scales... I want to start learning to pick out a song.

Since Rush is by far my favorite band, I'd like my first song I play to be one of theirs smile.gif

I've found several sites with Rush tabs, but so far the ones I've looked at have been way over my head, including some that required some funky tuning just to play. So, I'm looking for opinions on what would be the easiest Rush song to start out with using a standard tuned 6-string electric guitar smile.gif

Any opinions would be welcome! Thanks!

AlexFinal.gif <-- my ultimate emulation goal tongue.gif

Thanks guys! I'd been thinking about the Discovery section of 2112. It doesn't look too bad, at least at the beginning smile.gif

I'll check out those as well - especially Working Man. Can't believe I forgot that one; I'd been looking at later stuff mostly doh.gif

QUOTE (OldRod @ Jul 25 2007, 06:09 AM)
Thanks guys! I'd been thinking about the Discovery section of 2112. It doesn't look too bad, at least at the beginning smile.gif

I'll check out those as well - especially Working Man. Can't believe I forgot that one; I'd been looking at later stuff mostly doh.gif

Discovery gets very hard during the "see how it sings like a sad heart" part but once you learn those chords, you sort of discover (pun intended) how easily any chord can be manipulated by moving it up and down the fret board, moving one finger in the chord up or down a half step or simply inverting the chord. All of the chords are very close together and similar but different.

Fly by Night is a very easy song to start with IMO. Even the solo is workable. It's not easy at all but with hard work, it is doable.

Rivendell, Fly By Night, Panacea, No One At The Bridge, I Think I'm Going Bald, Tears... easy enough for this bass player to pick out on guitar...

Some more would be Different Strings, Limelight, Tom Sawyer Discovery / Presentation

Ok, after a lot of searching and listening to my iPod... I've decided to tackle "Closer to the Heart" first.

It helped my decision that there is a great YouTube video playing it that shows a closeup of Alex's hand work in the beginning of the song wink.gif

So... in about a year, I should have it worked out biggrin.gif

QUOTE (OldRod @ Jul 25 2007, 09:53 PM)
Ok, after a lot of searching and listening to my iPod... I've decided to tackle "Closer to the Heart" first.

It helped my decision that there is a great YouTube video playing it that shows a closeup of Alex's hand work in the beginning of the song wink.gif

So... in about a year, I should have it worked out biggrin.gif

This is one of the easier ones to play all of the way through. The solos is not fast and is melodic so it's memorable. The hardest part is the intro.

The opening guitar part of "Natural Science" is pretty easy. Once you stumble onto the right barre chord you just need to slide it around and you've got it! I found that one by accident.

I don't know about the rest of you, but for me... I'm primarily a bass player, but I noodle around on the guitar some. It's amazing how often I'll just be playing random stuff on the guitar, and all of a sudden I'm playing 3 or 4 chords from a Rush song!

I actually found tabs for "La Villa Strangiato" and tried to learn part of it. I got farther than I thought I would!

I'm excited about the guitar right now, because I just got my first semi-decent guitar today! I've been playing a really nice Music Man StingRay bass, but I just had a craptastic Squier Strat in the guitar department. Since I'm not playing gigs regularly anymore, I decided to sell the Music Man and put that money towards not 1, not 2, but 3 new things!

* Fender Standard Jazz Bass V (MIM)

* Fender Standard Stratocaster (MIM)

* USB turntable (for finally digitizing my LPs!)

They all arrived via UPS today. I didn't get a chance to play the bass much, but I tried the guitar a bit, and other than having to constantly retune (which, so far, I'm attributing to new instrument and new strings), it is SOOOO much nicer than the Squier. You can tell just by holding it how much better the quality is. Sounds great too!

Anyway, sorry to sidetrack there.

Caress of Steel is another great one to learn guitar parts from. They're not too hard and they sound cool! Especially parts of "The Fountain of Lamneth." (I love playing "Bacchus Plateau.")

Search for tabs online... that should help you out.

*EDIT*

OK, just had to show off a bit, though I'm not much of a guitarist. Here's my new guitar, which just arrived today:

http://room34.com/wp-content/uploads/p36358b.jpg

And here's an MP3 of me playing the opening bits of "Natural Science" on said guitar, recorded about 10 minutes ago...

Click here to listen to my attempts at rocking out... smile.gif

Edited by Room 34

really easy songs are working man, what your doing, temples of syrinx,

something for nothing, passage to bangkok, limelight, driven , earthshine, dreamline,

I glanced through the thread and I saw " easy " 5 times, what does this say abt Alex?, Im a drummer and believe me any RUSH song is deadly to play on drums.

I dont know wat songs are easy but I know what ones are unreal.. on the guitar

Hello folks. I am an OLDDDDD rush Fan who has been playing primarily my own material for 20 years. I was however tempted to learn Rush on drums and guitar way back, just to see where I ranked amongst my budding peers. I still use No one at the Bridge to limber the fingers [guitar] and

Different Strings for both Guitar and Drums. Thanks for your time.

Going to see Rush in Illinois come September. Fred EJ

Learning The Rhythm Method would be the best to start with....

Sorry, drummer's bad joke!!! bolt.gif

QUOTE (FredEJ @ Jul 28 2007, 10:31 AM)
but Quirky Der Trommler. Sehr Gut mein freund. smile.gif

Do you play along to any Bill Bruford or Bozzio by chance?

Bruford is eclectic....very difficult to follow at times....Bozzio, is a master as well....Simply a joy to watch!

For Yes songs, yes (no pun intended). For King Crimson songs, no.

Bozzio, I haven't begun to try yet although, I've loved his ostanato patterns

agreed. Terry is something. Have you heard any of the U.K. recordings? Danger Money????? Track two is ridiculous intro wise. I even listen to M-Persons from time to time, fer kix.........