Steve Vai- Sound Theories Vol. 1 & 2

prog.fusion

just almost through my first listening and i have to say, i didn't think it would be this good!

the arrangements on the old songs are just amazing and couldn't believe my ears hearing Kill the Guy With the Ball being played with an Orchestra.

for those of you who are skeptical of getting this because its another..."rock player with an orchestra" album, don't hesitate. the songs have been (almost) completely reworked and arranged to give you a familiar new experience.

as well with the fact that Steve is nowhere to be found on the second disc. and just realizing he wrote all this orchestration and compositions is more fuel to the fire as he being one of the most gifted artists of our time.

my respect for Vai and worth as a fan has grown back to where it used to be with this album and also taken further. if anyone ever tells you that all rock guitarists do is just play rock and are very limited as players and composers, play them this.

IMHO, Steve has composed some of the best "classical" music this side of 1900.

9/10

QUOTE (prog.fusion @ Jun 26 2007, 04:59 PM)
just almost through my first listening and i have to say, i didn't think it would be this good!

the arrangements on the old songs are just amazing and couldn't believe my ears hearing Kill the Guy With the Ball being played with an Orchestra.

for those of you who are skeptical of getting this because its another..."rock player with an orchestra" album, don't hesitate. the songs have been (almost) completely reworked and arranged to give you a familiar new experience.

as well with the fact that Steve is nowhere to be found on the second disc. and just realizing he wrote all this orchestration and compositions is more fuel to the fire as he being one of the most gifted artists of our time.

my respect for Vai and worth as a fan has grown back to where it used to be with this album and also taken further. if anyone ever tells you that all rock guitarists do is just play rock and are very limited as players and composers, play them this.

IMHO, Steve has composed some of the best "classical" music this side of 1900.

9/10

Yeah I'll be getting this album ASAP...

1022.gif

QUOTE (prog.fusion @ Jun 28 2007, 06:04 PM)
no one else?

you're telling me this is all the love Vai gets around here?

There's not many instrumental guitar freaks in here, just me, you, Tangy and maybe a couple of others like RUSHHEAD and maybe Double Bass chick and Cygnalschick, there might be one or two others but the rest of them are either straight ahead progheads, indie/alternative pop fans like Puppetking, serious metalheads, general middle of the road music fans who happen to like Rush, or they only like music before 1987...

QUOTE (prog.fusion @ Jun 28 2007, 06:39 PM)
yea i've kind of noticed that "shredding" does have a lot of merit around here.....

we should have a sub-forum dedicated only to guitar-driven instrumental music with us as mods.

it would be epic.

There'd only be the mods involved!!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 28 2007, 07:45 PM)
QUOTE (prog.fusion @ Jun 28 2007, 06:39 PM)
yea i've kind of noticed that "shredding" does have a lot of merit around here.....

we should have a sub-forum dedicated only to guitar-driven instrumental music with us as mods.

it would be epic.

There'd only be the mods involved!!

laugh.gif

yea, and we all know we wouldnt break the rules and it would need no modding so we could just post and post and post and post and post and post and post and post and post and post.

like i said.........freakin' EPIC!

This is the key point and what makes this recording superior to other rock and orchestra collaborations IMO. Leave it to Vai to do it right.

Mike Keneally has also recorded with the Metropole Orchestra.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Jul 1 2007, 12:59 PM)

This is the key point and what makes this recording superior to other rock and orchestra collaborations IMO. Leave it to Vai to do it right.

Mike Keneally has also recorded with the Metropole Orchestra.

I have heard most of this album as they did a broadcast via Vai.com last year, sounded pretty great...

Lets bump this thread! Still digging and trying to digest all this classical music.

I came across this clip of a young girl ripping with Steve. This kid is amazing.

The last time I saw him, he also brought a young local girl out to play with the band. I guess he mentors a fair number of young guitarists.

I was pretty shocked at some of his song titles on some of his albums. I can't mention some of them because they are pretty vulgar. unsure.gif

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Jul 14 2007, 04:53 PM)
Didn't Steve Via play with Frank Zappa?

Yep he joined the band when he was 19 after he sent a transcription of the notoriously difficult Zappa tune, The Black Page to Frank. Zappa was so impressed he hired him and he was in the band for three years, 1980-1983.

Archived