Shrek 3

rushgoober

Ok, my wife wanted to see Shrek III, so I went with her.

I thought the first one was really funny. Generally, I'm not into animated movies or tv shows at all. For me to enjoy it, it has to be a.) not a musical, and b.) so wildly entertaining that I can forget for brief moments that I'm watching a cartoon.

That said, Shrek II was mildly as opposed to wildly entertaining. I had an ok time.

I was NOT looking forward to Shrek III after hearing bad reviews, but, well, you know, I went for Robin.

After 20 minutes of looking at the screen in almost total disbelief at how UNfunny it was, I started to weigh my options. I could leave and go browse in shops or something, but that would have been pretty rude to my sweetie. I could sit and continue to watch and just pray for it to be over soon, but that was pure torture. So, I chose the only viable option. I went to sleep. I was a little tired, so this was possible, but it was a conscious choice. Robin nudged me awake 2 or 3 times when I snored, but for the most part I was able to miss large chunks of the rest of the movie.

Talk about continuing a franchise just to make money long after the creative juices have ceased to flow! sarcasm.gif

Robin didn't mind that I fell asleep, and appreciated that I went and stuck with it next to her, even if mostly in an unconscious state. tongue.gif For the record, she watched the whole thing, but she didn't like it much. Mind you, the parts I did see had an occasional funny or hilariously funny moment, but they were few and far between.

A literal snoozefest. yes.gif

schla03.gif

Edited by rushgoober

Well damn... they should've just left the first one (maybe the second too) alone. I agree with you, I thought the first one was a great, hilarious movie... the second one, not so much, but still fun.

And... the third one looks ridiculous. I wasn't planning on seeing it, but I'm glad you did so you could write that funny story laugh.gif

I've actually never fallen asleep in a theater before... only left because the movie was so bad.

Yea, I'm about to go with the wife in Kids in about an hour. I'm not looking forward to it.

I personally blame Shrek for the demise of the great computer animation movies. Instead of a wonderful story with great characters and funny, intelligent dialoge (Finding Nemo, Toy Story, Incredibles, etc..)... now we have this crap.... big time starts doing schmaltzy voice overs with cynical current pop culture jokes and one dimensional characters (Shrek 2, probably shrek 3, shark tales, Robot, etc..).

They should rename the series "Drek"

I don't think it was quite THAT bad. my biggest problem was that they recycled so many old jokes. Literally the first twenty minutes is an overly long plot setup packed full of old jokes/lines from the first two movies. It improved after that and was entertaining if you stay awake.

Great, im going with the wife and kid in an hour and a half. sarcasm.gif

Pedro & Tick,

I hope you guys have a better time of it than I did. Please let us know what you thought.

My experience wasn't a total loss. I had a nice nap. A $5.50 occasionally interrupted nap, but a nap nonetheless. tongue.gif

Edited by rushgoober

Just got back. I was pleasantly surprised. I"m not suggesting it was "good," far from it. However, it wasn't absolutely awful. It was mediocre, with a few chuckles. But is that what constitutes a good movie nowadays?

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 28 2007, 05:38 PM)
Just got back. I was pleasantly surprised. I"m not suggesting it was "good," far from it. However, it wasn't absolutely awful. It was mediocre, with a few chuckles. But is that what constitutes a good movie nowadays?

I agree, it was not a good movie, but not awefull either, i did laugh a few times and my kid loved it so thats what counts the most.

QUOTE (tick @ May 28 2007, 05:04 PM)

I agree, it was not a good movie, but not awefull either, i did laugh a few times and my kid loved it so thats what counts the most.

Mmm... When I'm paying $6.50 to go watch a movie, it better be a tad bit more than mediocre.

There were a few chuckles, but not $6.50's worth.

QUOTE (Atomic.Feedback! @ May 31 2007, 02:15 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ May 28 2007, 05:04 PM)

Mmm... When I'm paying $6.50 to go watch a movie, it better be a tad bit more than mediocre.

There were a few chuckles, but not $6.50's worth.

You expect alot for 6.50 eh ? I suppose you skip the 6.00 popcorn and the 6.00 soda as well.

QUOTE (tick @ May 28 2007, 07:04 PM)

I agree if the kids love it it's worth it.

Two of the girls went with a birthday party. Out of the 5 kids at the party three really enjoyed it, one was scared and one said it was just OK, can I swim now.

Talk about mixed reviews. laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 28 2007, 02:18 PM)
Pedro & Tick,

I hope you guys have a better time of it than I did. Please let us know what you thought.

My experience wasn't a total loss. I had a nice nap. A $5.50 occasionally interrupted nap, but a nap nonetheless. tongue.gif

When I saw Shrek 2, it was $9.00 to see it. Probably over $10 now. During the hard economic times, I am avoiding movie theaters.

I fell asleep during Platoon (I was 11 when I saw it in 1987). Then I watched it again as a 21 year old and actually enjoyed it more.

Best movie I saw at the theater was Heartbreak Ridge with Eastwood. That movie, whilst a war drama, had lots of funny moments. Especially Mario Van Peebles' Stitch Jones getting his earring ripped off by Clint's Highway character and when Peebles claims he was cheated out of losing a talent show.

The funny thing is, even though I only saw roughly 20 minutes of it or so, a couple of days later I said to my wife, "So, I'm assuming that the following happened in Shrek III..." I then proceeded to lay out how I thought the story had gone after I was unconscious. Naturally, I was completely right about all points. It doesn't take brain surgery to extrapolate the rest of the movie from the first 20 minutes. sarcasm.gif

I loved it! The best part was Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and Snow White how ditzy and frank they were.

using Immigrant song to send the birds to attack was funny and then they cut to Barracuda, which was bad editing I think, but still funny.