30 years ago today

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Necromancer @ May 26 2007, 11:39 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 26 2007, 11:34 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 26 2007, 11:20 AM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ May 26 2007, 04:41 AM)
I hadn't even heard about it when my older brother got me the movie adaptation novel.  I really liked the book and would have loved to see the movie, but we were kinda poor growing up so I didn't do movies a whole helluva lot.  I seen it when it came out on HBO and enjoyed it.  I saw the whole series as they were released on HBO and thought they were awesome.  When they were re-released, I took the kids.  They also liked them. 

It was during this period that I noticed the crazy behavior of the "Star Wars Geeks", and found it to be terribly amusing.  I liked the movies... sure.... they're great.  But I don't understand this crazy cult-like behavior that accompanies them.  I don't think the quality of this movie series warrants this.  Especially the prequels, which are just horrible, imo. 

I saw an ad on A&E last night for a show about the HISTORY OF STAR WARS.  They compare it to the Japanese movie I've talked about so often.  I believe it airs tonight.  I wish I was more awake and could give you more details on this.  But after finding out that Lucas ripped off this story so much, I lost even more respect for him.  Anyway... now you know the truth behind my rants.  I don't actually hate those movies at all.  no.gif

I knew you really liked Star Wars!

I can only assume you also really like Lord of the Rings too, so I've sent you the expanded editions of all 3 films as a gift from me to you. I hope you enjoy the 12-plus hours (plus 12-plus hours of special features) of this magical modern movie masterpiece! yes.gif

tongue.gif

Don't turn this thread into one of your famous Necro vs. Goob "LOTR rules/drools" pissing contests!

If you do, I'll come at you like a spider monkey that's all jacked up on espresso!

OH COME ON!!!

What good is any StarWars/LOTR discussion WITHOUT this battle?

tongue.gif

As Ruler of the World I will hunt down every copy of these sill movies and have them destroyed anyway. yes.gif

Not my copies. Come near 'em and I'll gut you. yes.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 26 2007, 03:49 PM)
I hadn't even heard about it when my older brother got me the movie adaptation novel.  I really liked the book and would have loved to see the movie, but we were kinda poor growing up so I didn't do movies a whole helluva lot.  I seen it when it came out on HBO and enjoyed it.  I saw the whole series as they were released on HBO and thought they were awesome.  When they were re-released, I took the kids.  They also liked them. 

It was during this period that I noticed the crazy behavior of the "Star Wars Geeks", and found it to be terribly amusing.  I liked the movies... sure.... they're great.  But I don't understand this crazy cult-like behavior that accompanies them.  I don't think the quality of this movie series warrants this.  Especially the prequels, which are just horrible, imo. 

I saw an ad on A&E last night for a show about the HISTORY OF STAR WARS.  They compare it to the Japanese movie I've talked about so often.  I believe it airs tonight.  I wish I was more awake and could give you more details on this.  But after finding out that Lucas ripped off this story so much, I lost even more respect for him.  Anyway... now you know the truth behind my rants.  I don't actually hate those movies at all.  no.gif

I can only assume you also really like Lord of the Rings too, so I've sent you the expanded editions of all 3 films as a gift from me to you. I hope you enjoy the 12-plus hours (plus 12-plus hours of special features) of this magical modern movie masterpiece! yes.gif

tongue.gif

Don't turn this thread into one of your famous Necro vs. Goob "LOTR rules/drools" pissing contests!

If you do, I'll come at you like a spider monkey that's all jacked up on espresso!

OH COME ON!!!

tongue.gif

As Ruler of the World I will hunt down every copy of these sill movies and have them destroyed anyway. yes.gif

Cmon, another SW would be awesome. And if indeed Lucas doesnt write the dialogue, as we all know, itll be even better smile.gif I for one would love to see this!!!!

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 26 2007, 04:49 PM)

tongue.gif

OH COME ON!!!

tongue.gif

ohmy.gif

Hmmm... this could be a problem. I'll allow you to keep YOUR copies, but you must never speak of them. K?

biggrin.gif

1977 was magic.

My family had moved to California for a year (later to move back to Albany, NY), and I was living the good life in the sun. "Star Wars" became my obsessive interest; every time my family went to the movies, my sister and I would watch "Star Wars" again while my mom watched crap like "You Light Up My Life" or (the not-so-crappy) "The Goodbye Girl."

Christmas of 1977 brought me "Star Wars"-related gifts, including a "Chewie" t-shirt ("Chewie" became my nickname after wearing it to death) and R2-D2 socks.

The movie itself was, and is, amazing. There'd been nothing like it beforehand. The "used universe" concept alone made it unique (prior SciFi movie spaceships and sets were pristine and clean, and it was hard to believe people and creatures lived there), and the Special Effects were unprecedented. (In 1975, "Logan's Run" won an Oscar for best Special Effects, and they were lame by comparison. Two years later, "Star Wars" would blow those earlier FX away!)

The original 1977 movie is still my favorite in the "Star Wars" canon. Sometimes when I watch it, I become a daydreaming 9-year-old kid in California again, in the comparitively innocent 1970s... and that alone is "magical."

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 25 2007, 10:04 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 25 2007, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 25 2007, 09:59 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ May 25 2007, 08:57 PM)
I'm still waiting for George Lucas to make the next episode in the series!

Me too!

Word around the campfire is that there is going to be another prequel, set in the early days of the Republic. A 'Birth of the Jedi' kind of thing. I stress that that is only a rumor!

That would RULE! Whats the harm, they could make a fantastic movie, and that would be interesting....

Well, the rumor was wrong. We're not getting another movie, we're getting a new animated TV series. See new thread.

tongue.gif

Clerks II'd

And for the record, LOTR was great tongue.gif

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ May 28 2007, 12:41 PM)

tongue.gif

Clerks II'd

And for the record, LOTR was great tongue.gif

OH.. okay. I hearby change my mind. MD said FOR THE RECORD LOTR is great. So i must agree now.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ May 26 2007, 08:39 AM)

tongue.gif

OH COME ON!!!

tongue.gif

Since I have copies and figure you'll soon come after mine, I have set a number of very elaborate traps around my LOTR movies using large piles of comic books as bait. You'll never get them! 1287.gif

I remember seeing this at least eight times that summer between camp trips(Rain days meant Movie Day and everyone always voted Star Wars.) and family Drive-In nights. It was great!

The best was taking Batboy to see it on the Big screen.

He was about the same age as I was when they were released.

Seeing the Movie again through him was awesome the second it was over he looked at me and can we see it again now!!

I watched that special on the History Channel the other night, "Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed." It was great, and really reinforced what we've known all along: there's a lot going-on in these movies; more than just the surface good-versus-evil SciFi story. There's so much more!

It's a modern re-telling of old myths. And it's told in six "episodes" the same way that some myths are told in multiple "volumes." The fact that Lucas's story is sorta "copied" from previous stories needn't enter into the discussion - all of those old myths have elements in common; Lucas is just being faithful to the traditional "hero's journey" myth, re-told a hundred times in ancient literature. Lucas re-tells the old myths for modern audiences... on film!

He also puts a bit of a new spin on it. Find me an old story that has a "Wookie" named "Chewbacca" in it, and I'll concede that Lucas is a hack.

Edited by GeddyRulz

I remember seeing this opening night. We drove about an hour to see it, then stood on a line wrapped around the building. The theater was only showing Star Wars on all 4 screens. (Which for the younger folks was a large theater at the time)

It was awesome waiting, they actually had a makeshift candy/popcorn stand outside. Walking in I didn't get it - coming out I got it.

After that night I saw it a least 5 more times with friends. Nothing beat that first night experience! smile.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 30 2007, 04:45 AM)
I watched that special on the History Channel the other night, "Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed." It was great, and really reinforced what we've known all along: there's a lot going-on in these movies; more than just the surface good-versus-evil SciFi story. There's so much more!

It's a modern re-telling of old myths. And it's told in six "episodes" the same way that some myths are told in multiple "volumes." The fact that Lucas's story is sorta "copied" from previous stories needn't enter into the discussion - all of those old myths have elements in common; Lucas is just being faithful to the traditional "hero's journey" myth, re-told a hundred times in ancient literature. Lucas re-tells the old myths for modern audiences... on film!

He also puts a bit of a new spin on it. Find me an old story that has a "Wookie" named "Chewbacca" in it, and I'll concede that Lucas is a hack.

It's interesting how you say "Sci-Fi"... because as some of those hardcore S-F fans will tell you, Sci-Fi isn't the same as Science Fiction. Star Wars killed the genre; it's fantasy, not real S-F, which as Ray Bradbury or Robert Heinlein could tell you is all about social commentary and philosophy and stuff like that.

I defy anyone to find anything deeper than "Good vs. Evil" in that whole mess.

...hmm, well, that came out wrong. Don't get me wrong; I love Star Wars. It kept me sane (relatively speaking) through those miserable 8 years called grade school. The Zahn trilogies, the Dark Horse comics, the X-Wing series... The Dark Forces games, the X-Wing games, the Rebel Assault games... (ha, I was obbsessed.) Ah, good stuff.

Those were the days.

It must have been something to see those movies when they were new... "What's a Star War?" Ah, I can't even imagine..

QUOTE (Atomic.Feedback! @ May 30 2007, 03:54 PM)
I watched that special on the History Channel the other night, "Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed."  It was great, and really reinforced what we've known all along: there's a lot going-on in these movies; more than just the surface good-versus-evil SciFi story.  There's so much more!

It's a modern re-telling of old myths.  And it's told in six "episodes" the same way that some myths are told in multiple "volumes."  The fact that Lucas's story is sorta "copied" from previous stories needn't enter into the discussion - all of those old myths have elements in common; Lucas is just being faithful to the traditional "hero's journey" myth, re-told a hundred times in ancient literature.  Lucas re-tells the old myths for modern audiences... on film!

He also puts a bit of a new spin on it.  Find me an old story that has a "Wookie" named "Chewbacca" in it, and I'll concede that Lucas is a hack.

Watch the aforementioned "Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed" on the History Channel to see what the esteemed University professors say about "Star Wars" and the re-telling of important myths.

Or get a taste of that on the bonus disc of the "Star Wars" trilogy DVD, or in my earlier post (which you quoted, but must not have read).

Some interesting ideas that "Star Wars" explores:

Redemption and resurrection.

De-humanization.

The relationship between fathers and sons.

Man versus machines.

Religion versus science.

The nature of evil.

Politics: The rise of dictators, and the diminishment of liberty.

Etc.

There's a lot more going on than just "good versus evil" in that "whole mess."

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 30 2007, 07:34 PM)
I watched that special on the History Channel the other night, "Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed."  It was great, and really reinforced what we've known all along: there's a lot going-on in these movies; more than just the surface good-versus-evil SciFi story.  There's so much more!

It's a modern re-telling of old myths.  And it's told in six "episodes" the same way that some myths are told in multiple "volumes."  The fact that Lucas's story is sorta "copied" from previous stories needn't enter into the discussion - all of those old myths have elements in common; Lucas is just being faithful to the traditional "hero's journey" myth, re-told a hundred times in ancient literature.  Lucas re-tells the old myths for modern audiences... on film!

He also puts a bit of a new spin on it.  Find me an old story that has a "Wookie" named "Chewbacca" in it, and I'll concede that Lucas is a hack.

Watch the aforementioned "Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed" on the History Channel to see what the esteemed University professors say about "Star Wars" and the re-telling of important myths.

Or get a taste of that on the bonus disc of the "Star Wars" trilogy DVD, or in my earlier post (which you quoted, but must not have read).

Man versus machines.

Religion versus science.

The nature of evil.

Etc.

There's a lot more going on that just "good versus evil" in that "whole mess."

Interesting. Saw some of that in SW but not all of it.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ May 30 2007, 06:36 PM)

Man versus machines.

Religion versus science.

The nature of evil.

Etc.

Touche. I stand defied.

*bows out*

QUOTE (Atomic.Feedback! @ May 31 2007, 01:12 AM)

Man versus machines.

Religion versus science.

The nature of evil.

Etc.

Touche. I stand defied.

*bows out*

I watched the special as well. I loved the Kevin Smith comments on the films.

For the record I loved the prequel trilogy, but I did dislike Jar Jar.

But the way The History Channel defended him in the special had me rethinking Jar jar as a character. Mabey a little more tolerable

QUOTE (Atomic.Feedback! @ May 31 2007, 01:12 AM)

Man versus machines.

Religion versus science.

The nature of evil.

Etc.

Touche. I stand defied.

*bows out*

no, no, what i mean is i never thought of things in the movie that way, im sure its all there! trink39.gif