Best Guitar on S&A

rushfanNlv

Does the guitar in We Hold On rock or what? The tone is amazing. The riff is awesome too. His playing is so expressive. He really get's the most out of the pinch harmonics on this one. He's always been good at that.

The opening with the clean tele and a compressor is just sweet as hell and then it's like he hit the gas pedal and took off with that raunchy, overdriven guitar.

And the solo.....so expressive. He's really speaking through the guitar. He mentions in an article how he enjoyed playing the ES guitars because of that reason.

Anyway, my vote is for We Hold On. What's yours?

I really like the bright and distorted arpeggio tone on Faithless during "All the preaching voices..." and corresponding parts. Something about that tone just jumps out at me, and I don't normally like that kind of tone.

"We Hold On" is a strong choice. The guitar in that song is off the hook.

However the guitar work on TWTWB is nothing short of amazing. I just love the blues solo which turns into a middle eastern cry of brilliance.

Can't decide.. unsure.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ May 24 2007, 01:16 PM)
I really like the bright and distorted arpeggio tone on Faithless during "All the preaching voices..." and corresponding parts. Something about that tone just jumps out at me, and I don't normally like that kind of tone.

That is classic Alex stuff right there. Good pick. At first I thought that he was playing the tele but it almost sounds like a 12 string at times. I love the way he is able to pick those notes so precisely. Listen to it again and tell me what you think. 12 string or not? Maybe an octave effect?

TWTWB is indeed awesome as well. I've said it before but I'll say it again. There are five distinct styles that run through that song. First, as you mentioned, is that killer blues lead. Then comes that distorted pull of riff with the eq out of wack with what he normally does. I think that is a good example of the H&K Switchblade at work. Then we get the pre-pre chorus which is some suspended chords played on the acoustic and I think I hear a nice, clean electric doubling the part. Nice haunting feeling there.

Next is the pre chorus which is that rolling, descending acoustic line and the chorus which is the same line but you add the single note, distorted and delayed guitar to emphasize the notes. It has that regal, anthem type sound to it.

The solo is an echo of the opening line but then it goes into the pre-pre chorus riff where he is doing some really cool staccato stuff. There is even some tremolo effect going on in the song!

These guys are awesome.

I really like Spindrift and Good News First on this album.

I like the way on Spindrift he uses the guitar to make the song sound haunting, edgy and terrifying.

I don't really know what it is about Good News First, there's nothing that special about it, but everything seems to click for me on this song. The 90's era opening bit, the quiet bit straight into the heavy, distorted bits on the first. The solo is cracking, i adore that sound, that 90's era sound but with more punch, the bit after the solo, the whole song is great in terms of the guitar.

If we're talking about one bit of a song, it would have to be the outro to Spindrift, but the best guitar on a whole song is Good News First for me.

Edited by Mandalorian Hunter