"Analogue sound" on new album

Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (mars_volta @ Apr 9 2007, 09:53 PM)
pro tools is NOT the antichrist like some mike make it seem. sure analog tape may have a 'different' sound to it. but have you worked in a studio? worked with tape? the machines? editing? lol its no wonder pro tools and the like are usually the standard in the studio now. there is no reason a session done on pro tools needs to sound 'digital'. ironically, most of rushs clean thin digital sound (PW, RTB, HYF, Presto)  was done on all analog equipment.

9 times out of 10 nowdays the mastering is what causes the most unrest.

I was just going to post the same thing in regards to the huge ProTools misconception.....Good Post!

QUOTE (lunkhead @ Apr 10 2007, 04:00 PM)
One tends to wonder why Rush can't seem to get the production quite "right" on some of their albums (compared to status quo of great sounding albums). I can see when you're mixing and mastering you can get tunnel-vision and not see the forest for The Trees, but for example with Vapor Trails, you would think they'd cross-check it with the production of great sounding albums of the day for reference. To me, they haven't really had a great sounding album since MP:

sound quality:
MP--perfect
Signals--similar but without the guts
GuP--a little thin
Power Windows--very thin
Hold Your Fire--bright but full
RtB--too bright
Presto--way too thin and bright
Counterparts--a little dull on the high end
T4E--a little thick in the middle but not bad
VT--too thick and way hot
SnA--a little "toppy"? we'll see...

Im Glad my ears are f****d they all sound great to me

Different ears hear differnt things (sic)

QUOTE (lunkhead @ Apr 10 2007, 11:00 AM)
One tends to wonder why Rush can't seem to get the production quite "right" on some of their albums (compared to status quo of great sounding albums). I can see when you're mixing and mastering you can get tunnel-vision and not see the forest for The Trees, but for example with Vapor Trails, you would think they'd cross-check it with the production of great sounding albums of the day for reference. To me, they haven't really had a great sounding album since MP:

sound quality:
MP--perfect
Signals--similar but without the guts
GuP--a little thin
Power Windows--very thin
Hold Your Fire--bright but full
RtB--too bright
Presto--way too thin and bright
Counterparts--a little dull on the high end
T4E--a little thick in the middle but not bad
VT--too thick and way hot
SnA--a little "toppy"? we'll see...

Power Windows sounds amazing to me, probably their best produced album to my ears. Presto and VT are the only ones I would call bad.

QUOTE (mars_volta @ Apr 9 2007, 08:53 PM)
pro tools is NOT the antichrist like some mike make it seem. sure analog tape may have a 'different' sound to it. but have you worked in a studio? worked with tape? the machines? editing? lol its no wonder pro tools and the like are usually the standard in the studio now. there is no reason a session done on pro tools needs to sound 'digital'. ironically, most of rushs clean thin digital sound (PW, RTB, HYF, Presto) was done on all analog equipment.

9 times out of 10 nowdays the mastering is what causes the most unrest.

True, the mastering on VT is a perfect example.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Apr 9 2007, 10:02 AM)
QUOTE (anchorman @ Apr 9 2007, 10:40 AM)
You are most likely in a younger age bracket.

I wish. Been a fan for almost 30 years.

Anyway, perhaps I can't tell the difference because I've only ever worked with digital recording gear. But like I said, I'm sure this record is going to sound amazing and will tear our socks off.

laugh.gif trink38.gif

Archived