2007/2008 NFL

Batman

Let the Super Schedule from hell begin!!

They do this all the Time to the Superbowl Winners I bet when the rest of the 2007 Schedule comes out you'll see them playing at least two more Sunday Night Games plus two Monday Games.

The Worse one is the Thursday Night Season opener not only do they have less time in Training Camp to Prepare for the Season they then Have to wait 11 days to play another game. Football is all about routine and with the Schedule they are going to have they are fighting an uphill battle right out of the gates.

2007 Kickoff Weekend and Thanksgiving national television games

KICKOFF WEEKEND

DATE DAY OPPONENTS NETWORK TIME (ET)

Sept. 6 Thu. Saints at Colts NBC 8:30 p.m.

Sept. 9 Sun. Bears at Chargers

Giants at Cowboys FOX

NBC 4:15 p.m.

8:15 p.m.

Sept. 10 Mon. Ravens at Bengals

Cardinals at 49ers ESPN

ESPN 7 p.m.

10:15 p.m.

THANKSGIVING

DATE DAY OPPONENTS NETWORK TIME (ET)

Nov. 22 Thu. Packers at Lions

Jets at Cowboys

Colts at Falcons FOX

CBS

NFL Network 12:30 p.m.

4:15 p.m.

8:15 p.m

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Owners vote to make replay permanent   

NFL.com wire reports

PHOENIX (March 27, 2007) -- Replay is here to stay in the NFL.

Or at least as permanently as any rule can be in pro football.

League owners voted 30-2 to make the video replay system a permanent officiating tool. All but three stadiums will be equipped with high-definition equipment and will be recabled before the upcoming season, at a cost of as much as $300,000 per club. The stadiums being replaced in Irving, Texas, Indianapolis and East Rutherford, N.J., will not get the updates.

The owners also voted unanimously to allow a second interviewing window for assistant coaches on Super Bowl teams who are in the running for other head coaching jobs. Previously, only during the week after the season ended could an interview be conducted.

One proposal was defeated. Defenses will not be allowed to have a coach-to-player communications device similar to what quarterbacks use. McKay said owners and coaches were concerned about who would be allowed to wear the device with defenses using multiple formations, and the possibility that more than one player could wind up on the field with such a device.

San Francisco withdrew its proposal to make defensive pass interference either a 15-yard penalty or a spot foul, depending on the severity of the infraction.

McKay was not optimistic that the recommendation to move the kickoff for overtime from the 30-yard line to the 35 would pass March 28. He said some people were concerned about the effect on the return game, and that a group of owners would favor a mandatory two-possession overtime in which each team gets the ball once.

That has not been proposed, however. Nor has any system similar to the college overtimes, or a continuation of the game from where it ended after four quarters.

The owners also will vote on Tampa Bay's proposal to use instant replay for all penalties except holding; increasing the number of players suited up for games from 45 to 47; and instituting 5-yard penalties for players who spike the ball on the field of play. Spikes in the end zone after scores would be allowed.

Full Story

More Rule Changes

PHOENIX (March 28, 2007) -- Players have another reason to avoid drawing too much extra attention to themselves during a game.

Spiking the ball or launching it into the air after a play between the goal lines will result in a five-yard penalty.

That proved to be the most significant change in playing rules voted by owners as the NFL's annual meeting came to a close.

This will be considered a dead-ball foul, meaning if the penalty occurs after the player picks up a first down, the first down will still count but the team will still lose five yards.

Players can celebrate by spinning the ball, and they won't be penalized if the ball happens to take a slight bounce after it leaves their possession following the end of a play. Spikes are still allowed out of bounds and in the end zone.

A few other rules changes worth noting:

-- Elimination of a player scoring a touchdown even if only his body, and not the ball, goes over the pylon at the goal line in the front corner of the end zone. Now, some part of the ball must cross the pylon, which no longer carries the vague definition in the rules of theoretically extending "around the world."

-- Modification of the roughing-the-passer penalty so that a defender engaged with a quarterback who extends his arms and shoves the passer to the ground does not draw a penalty. Despite common perception, roughing-the-passer penalties have been on a steady decline. There were 135 in 2004, 127 in '05, and 106 last season.

-- A pass that unintentionally hits an offensive lineman is no longer a penalty.

QUOTE (Batman @ Mar 29 2007, 09:47 AM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Mar 28 2007, 01:17 PM)
It's always football season smile.gif

biggrin.gif Yes it is! yes.gif trink39.gif

Amen to that trink39.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 29 2007, 12:12 PM)
A lot of players changed addresses this off season...

NFC

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/nfc-signings

AFC

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/afc-signings

Yeah I've been keeping track, some very interesting moves yes.gif

QUOTE (Psykotikdr @ Mar 30 2007, 02:09 AM)
Bring on the Draft.

I can't wait to see how the rookies-to-be fall.

yes.gif

There's no certainty where Brady Quinn or Calvin Johnson will end up or how the top of the draft will fall this year. We could still see a lot of trading up or down. You'd have to say that Demarcus Russel will go first but even that's not a definate.

QUOTE (Huck @ Mar 30 2007, 05:25 AM)
Bring on the Draft.

yes.gif

There's no certainty where Brady Quinn or Calvin Johnson will end up or how the top of the draft will fall this year. We could still see a lot of trading up or down. You'd have to say that Demarcus Russel will go first but even that's not a definate.

I think DA Raiders pretty much have to take him.

And I think he'll start by years end. I don't think they would throw him to the fire right out of the gates they need O-line help! He's young and Mobile enough to once the O-line gets their blocking down I can see him doing very well he has a great arm.

Quinn I can see dropping out of the top ten. His lack of production in BIG games is going to scare away some teams. The Panthers may take him at 14.

Johnson is going to the Lions Poor Bastard. doh.gif

QUOTE (Batman @ Mar 30 2007, 11:35 AM)
Bring on the Draft.

yes.gif

And I think he'll start by years end. I don't think they would throw him to the fire right out of the gates they need O-line help! He's young and Mobile enough to once the O-line gets their blocking down I can see him doing very well he has a great arm.

Quinn I can see dropping out of the top ten. His lack of production in BIG games is going to scare away some teams. The Panthers may take him at 14.

I'm not so sure Johnson will go the Lions, I could see them possibly trading down and then going for Quinn? Or getting an OL.

QUOTE (Batman @ Mar 30 2007, 06:35 AM)
Bring on the Draft.

yes.gif

The Raiders have run their organization to the ground. In my humble opinion (and Lord it's hard to be humble) the Raiders should trade for Carr because they would get him very cheap. Then they should trade out of the number one slot for more picks. Demarcus Russell will be a bust. Mark my words.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Mar 30 2007, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (Batman @ Mar 30 2007, 06:35 AM)
Bring on the Draft.

yes.gif

The Raiders have run their organization to the ground. In my humble opinion (and Lord it's hard to be humble) the Raiders should trade for Carr because they would get him very cheap. Then they should trade out of the number one slot for more picks. Demarcus Russell will be a bust. Mark my words.

I don't know about Russell, we'll see if he busts or not. I've always liked Carr, he's just had bad protection at Houston, I'd be more than happy if Miami took him, just in case Culpepper doesn't recover wink.gif

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Mar 29 2007, 01:24 PM)
I'm a complete draft hound. The draft is less than a month away 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

I dont follow it as much as I should. SOrry to see Garcia goes (gambling time at QB - who knows what will happen?).

P[enalty for spiking the ball?

That seems communist to me.

NFL International to focus on London in '07

China preseason game rescheduled for 2009

(April 2, 2007) -- The NFL has determined that it will focus its global resources this year on its first overseas regular-season game -- to be held Oct. 28 in London, England, with the Miami Dolphins hosting the New York Giants.

The American Bowl preseason game in China, originally set for Aug. 9 in Beijing between the New England Patriots and Seattle Seahawks, will be rescheduled. Working in partnership with the Beijing municipal authorities, the NFL will plan to play a game at the National Stadium of Beijing in August of 2009.

Full Story

NFL News

NFL looking at expanding to 17 games

NEW YORK (May 10, 2007) -- Americans always seem to want more pro football. Yet it's the folks abroad who might be getting an extra taste of the NFL in the future.

Although talks are extremely preliminary, the NFL is investigating adding a 17th regular-season game and playing it outside the United States. The extra game would take the place of one in the preseason, allowing every team to play once abroad without sacrificing a home match.

This year, the Dolphins gave up a home date in Miami to play the New York Giants at Wembley Stadium in London. Two years ago, the Arizona Cardinals played a home game in Mexico City against the San Francisco 49ers.

This is a Dumb idea to get all the Football teams to another country take a week off of the preseason could end up costing alot of Bubble players a spot on roster. While the fourth Preseason game most starter don't play it is a chance to get your backups solid work in real game time situation. BAD BAD IDEA!!

I am sure the players Union would also have to vote on this.FULL STORY

QUOTE (Batman @ May 11 2007, 06:35 AM)
NFL News

NEW YORK (May 10, 2007) -- Americans always seem to want more pro football. Yet it's the folks abroad who might be getting an extra taste of the NFL in the future.

Although talks are extremely preliminary, the NFL is investigating adding a 17th regular-season game and playing it outside the United States. The extra game would take the place of one in the preseason, allowing every team to play once abroad without sacrificing a home match.

This year, the Dolphins gave up a home date in Miami to play the New York Giants at Wembley Stadium in London. Two years ago, the Arizona Cardinals played a home game in Mexico City against the San Francisco 49ers.

This is a Dumb idea to get all the Football teams to another country take a week off of the preseason could end up costing alot of Bubble players a spot on roster. While the fourth Preseason game most starter don't play it is a chance to get your backups solid work in real game time situation. BAD BAD IDEA!!

Not to mention messing with the formula of the schedule...I think it's the best way now..I agree...TERRIBLE idea

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 11 2007, 11:22 AM)
QUOTE (Batman @ May 11 2007, 06:35 AM)
NFL News   

Not to mention messing with the formula of the schedule...I think it's the best way now..I agree...TERRIBLE idea

Although I'm all for bringing the NFL to other countries (I'm getting tickets for the Giants v Dolphins game biggrin.gif ) I think 1 game a season abroad is enough. Having all teams going abroad seems unworkable to me, I don't think the NFL could find enough venues. Also I agree with the point that losing a pre-season game is a bad idea.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 22 2007, 10:23 AM)
what a couple of dumbfucks wacko.gif sarcasm.gif

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/foot...ex.html?cnn=yes

When are these guys going to understand that it's no okay to be an ignorant thug?

Unbelievable these two.........

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ May 22 2007, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 22 2007, 10:23 AM)
what a couple of dumbfucks  wacko.gif  sarcasm.gif

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/foot...ex.html?cnn=yes

When are these guys going to understand that it's no okay to be an ignorant thug?

Unbelievable these two.........

I agree......not very smart and Portis has already been made to retract his statement saying he believes dog fighting is wrong wacko.gif

Having said that I believe the media is doing all it can to discredit Vick for some reason, although Vick is not helping his own cause at all.

Archived