WHY DOESN'T ALEX LIFESON GET HIS PROPS?

SeahawkRush

Rush is not just a guitar band. If you listen to Malmsteen, Van Halen, Eric Johnson, etc, do you ever notice the bass and drums? No way, they have to stay out of the guitar's way.

Then listen to YYZ. Each instrument has an equal part. You can listen to that song over and over and never get sick of it. You can focus on any one of the 3 players, and just be blown away.

If Alex was a big ego player, Rush would have broken up years ago. They have just the perfect balance.

So, sure, Alex will never get the fame of the big ego guitarists.

QUOTE (drew2112 @ Mar 19 2007, 11:14 AM)
i meant that he is an amzing rythym guitarist which IMO is more difficult than a lead player.
Alex's best leads have been "swells", and 1 note sustains. Lavilla, for example, the slow build up to the fast speed picking is wonderful and marathon-the start is 4 notes on sustain to the "main" lead.
His playing has always reminded me of emotion and colours per note played .smile.gif

Alex does at brilliant job at swells and one note sustains, but his best leads are when he shows his stuff, as in Free Will. It really doesn't get much better than that. I understand his decision to not to play leads on VT, but he is a great soloist and I hope he breaks loose on Snakes and Arrows. I agree he is very underrated. In fact, besides Geddy's voice, I think he's the biggest factor in the Rush sound. 1022.gif

thanks for all of your comments. interesting to hear everyones point of view. I think Alex is perfect just the way he is, and has always been. he does what is necessary for each song. Rush doesn't just throw together a bunch of songs in to a cd every year like some bands do. they have an aproach to writing that is rare anymore. i think SNA will be very well accepted in the Rush world, and if some outsiders hear it and get hooked, then thats great. it only takes one listen for most of us to cling on for dear life.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Mar 19 2007, 10:34 AM)
Does every song need a guitar solo? Damn guitar players... laugh.gif

i don't think every song needs a guitar solo. i don't think most of really expect that from Rush. I think we all want them more now, since we didn't get any on VT. That was ok. It worked out and sounded great (except the bad mix).

Remaster, Remaster, Remaster !!

Let's also not forget the hardest part of making music; the writing of it.

To me, writing the music is far harder than playing it.

A ripping solo is great, but is much easier for a guitarist than a carefully crafted rythym section that has to mesh with the rest of the band. I believe Alex finds the latter to be much more of a challenge.

QUOTE (rkarlberg @ Mar 19 2007, 10:39 AM)
Then listen to YYZ. Each instrument has an equal part. You can listen to that song over and over and never get sick of it. You can focus on any one of the 3 players, and just be blown away.

You're dead on. There are so many layers to YYZ, and I'm blown away each time I listen to that song. That is pretty good considering that I have heard that song hundreds of times!

Archived