David Gilmour Appreciation Thread

Groovybass77

The fact that his songwriting and vocal abilities seem to go unnoticed in favor of guitarplaying demonstrates how truly special he is on the guitar. He has a gift for melody. Some of my favorite solos are Comfortably Numb, Wish You Were Here (intro), and Money.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 13 2007, 07:38 PM)
The fact that his songwriting and vocal abilities seem to go unnoticed in favor of guitarplaying demonstrates how truly special he is on the guitar. He has a gift for melody. Some of my favorite solos are Comfortably Numb, Wish You Were Here (intro), and Money.

His songwriting always gets the naysayers going, though...comparing him to Rog.

I love the stuff he wrote. smile.gif Anybody see his DVD from a few years back - David Gilmour In Concert? He did "Fat Old Sun," and it was just gorgeous. yes.gif

I'm learning to play WYWH, and I'm enjoying it SO much...you're right. He has an amazing gift for melody.

Snowdog...you should check out his new album since you're such a fan of About Face. Do you have his first solo album (the self-titled one)?

His best solo albums are:

1)self titled

2)On an Island

3)About Face

The self titled and AF were just re-released last year and the tracks have longer fadeouts and trump over the original releases.

I bought "On an Island" the first day it came out. I can't say that it's his best work, but it's definitely something that I can listen to regularly.

I'll be buying the new DVD as soon as it's available.

QUOTE (Natch @ Aug 14 2007, 08:13 AM)
I bought "On an Island" the first day it came out. I can't say that it's his best work, but it's definitely something that I can listen to regularly.

I'll be buying the new DVD as soon as it's available.

No, not his best work, but very listenable. smile.gif

I need to buy the other remastered solo stuff!

If you haven't yet purchased the "Pulse" DVD, go out and get it. It's remixed with 5.1 surround, and has a whole bunch of extras. There's nothing like a live Gilmour solo on your home theater system making the house shake.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 13 2007, 08:51 PM)
Snowdog...you should check out his new album since you're such a fan of About Face. Do you have his first solo album (the self-titled one)?

I have heard "On An Island" and its an admirable effort. I haven't bought it, though. Its one of those that you think, "Hey, I need to get that" but never seem to get around to it.

And, no I have never owned or even heard his first self titled solo release. Sounds like I've got some catching up to do. trink39.gif

I enjoy On An Island although I haven't listened to it in months. It is a very mellow, relaxation-type album. I haven't heard his other two solo albums (self-titled debut and About Face), but I'd like to check them out.

QUOTE (Natch @ Aug 14 2007, 09:52 AM)
If you haven't yet purchased the "Pulse" DVD, go out and get it. It's remixed with 5.1 surround, and has a whole bunch of extras. There's nothing like a live Gilmour solo on your home theater system making the house shake.

I've got it. I watched some of it last night. smile.gif

QUOTE (Rush! @ Aug 14 2007, 12:39 PM)
I enjoy On An Island although I haven't listened to it in months. It is a very mellow, relaxation-type album. I haven't heard his other two solo albums (self-titled debut and About Face), but I'd like to check them out.

His first solo album is a straight out rock record with one ballad on there. About Face was more 80s sounding with the horns on Blue Light and You Know I'm Right and with some of the synthesizers on the record but Until We Sleep, Murder, All Lovers Are Deranged, Let's Get Metaphysical and Near the End are superb tracks.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Aug 16 2007, 11:49 AM)

His first solo album is a straight out rock record with one ballad on there. About Face was more 80s sounding with the horns on Blue Light and You Know I'm Right and with some of the synthesizers on the record but Until We Sleep, Murder, All Lovers Are Deranged, Let's Get Metaphysical and Near the End are superb tracks.

I've been listening to About Face since I downloaded it and I agree that some of the material does sound a bit dated, but I think as a whole it still holds up well. All Lovers Are Deranged is timeless, though. That song simply rocks 1022.gif

It has been a pleasure listening to this one again. Talk about walks down memory lane, this disc provides them for me.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Aug 18 2007, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Aug 16 2007, 11:49 AM)

I've been listening to About Face since I downloaded it and I agree that some of the material does sound a bit dated, but I think as a whole it still holds up well. All Lovers Are Deranged is timeless, though. That song simply rocks 1022.gif

It has been a pleasure listening to this one again. Talk about walks down memory lane, this disc provides them for me.

All Lovers Are Deranged is a great rocker (one of Gilmour's heaviest tracks). When I heard that on the radio last year during the In The Studio episode for David Gilmour's On an Island album, I almost crapped! After the song, host Redbeard replied with "GREAT ROCKER"! Also, AF was recorded at a time when PF's future was uncertain (just like it is now) and DG said AF had some great moments but the whole flavor was too 80s for his current tastes.

OAI got me through the last year and a half of my life when my mom was in her last year and a half of living.

His first solo effort recorded and released in 1978 was a great album. Some people overlook it but it is still his best. Also, all three DG albums reached the US Top 40. His debut hit a modest #29 and went Gold. AF hit #32 and also achieved Gold status. OAI debuted at #6 but fell from grace rather quick which is a shame (then again The Who's newest album suffered a worse fate from #7 to #41 in its second week)

David is definately one my favorite guitarists. He's got the #1 tone for me. I've been listening to Pulse lately and have really been hoping to see him live. I heard that he has gone into a kind of semi-retirement. Has anyone else heard this? Anyone know if and when he'll tour again?

QUOTE (dtrice @ Aug 23 2007, 02:13 PM)
David is definately one my favorite guitarists. He's got the #1 tone for me. I've been listening to Pulse lately and have really been hoping to see him live. I heard that he has gone into a kind of semi-retirement. Has anyone else heard this? Anyone know if and when he'll tour again?

He did ten shows in the US last year and mainly concentrated on Europe. The tickets were snatched by ticket brokers and re-sold for more cash. Many who were strapped for cash and missed his tour will get to see what they missed on his Remember That Night DVD due in September.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Aug 23 2007, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (dtrice @ Aug 23 2007, 02:13 PM)

He did ten shows in the US last year and mainly concentrated on Europe. The tickets were snatched by ticket brokers and re-sold for more cash. Many who were strapped for cash and missed his tour will get to see what they missed on his Remember That Night DVD due in September.

Yeah, I was really pissed I missed those shows. I found out after the fact too fists crying.gif

Oh Im waiting for that DVD. I tell you I cried when I heard the Gilmour cover of "Dark Globe" on the "Arnold Layne" release. All of the songs from that 3 song single (2 versions of Arnold Layne, 1 with David Bowie, 1 with Richard Wright, and the Dark Globe cover) are going to be on the DVD as well.

QUOTE (Don Quixote @ Sep 17 2007, 11:06 AM)
QUOTE (makehaste2112 @ Aug 18 2007, 06:04 PM)
heart.gif Animals.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

The bootlegs available from the Animals tour really rock - get the Oakland Coliseum show from 5/9/77 for a great example.

Yes!!!

I have the Fort Worth show from 77

I don't know if this has been posted before...I did search and came up with zilch.

Just a kind of cool DG moment...

Dave and Brian May doing "Smoke On The Water" - not sure what the purpose of this collaboration was, but still, it's neat to see these two together...and listen for when the interviewer asks Dave about touring. laugh.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFHL5b7dIpE&feature=related