David Gilmour Appreciation Thread

Groovybass77

My favorite guitarist, David Gilmour from Pink Floyd, turns 61 today!

Though the chances that he will ever read this are unlikely,

Happy Birthday! 1022.gif

Thread title edited by GG: hope you don't mind! Thought we could use this thread as a general appreciation one.

cool.gif

Edited by GhostGirl

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Birthday, Dave...best wishes for a wonderful day to the only guitarist whose playing makes me weak in the knees. <sigh>

biggrin.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Dave/gilmour73.jpg

Happy 61st to my all time favorite guitarist David Gilmour. He took over as the living King of the Strat after Hendrix died.

Also, DG is one of few guitarists who uses a Strat with whammy bar and doesn't have his guitar go out of tune. He dead bolts the strings or something. Also his tone and his style of playing gave us slow handed players some hope.

Gilmour has played with everyone from Paul McCartney, Ringo, Pete Townshend and The Who to Bryan Ferry, Supertramp, Warren Zevon, The Stray Cats, Elton John and Tom Jones amongs others.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Mar 6 2007, 03:41 PM)
Also his tone and his style of playing gave us slow handed players some hope.

He plays with passion and feeling...and does it EVER come across. Wow. I think I'll listen right now.

I'll put some on too GG.

The King of the Melody - The King of 1 note means everything - The King of The Tone !!

(shredders go home........... laugh.gif )

Happy B-Day DG.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Mar 6 2007, 03:52 PM)
I'll put some on too GG.

The King of the Melody - The King of 1 note means everything - The King of The Tone !!

(shredders go home........... laugh.gif )

Happy B-Day DG.

Excellent, Mike. biggrin.gif

Perfect description of him, too.

wub.gif <dreamy sigh>

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 6 2007, 04:14 PM)
I've been learning the solos from "Comfortably Numb" this past week. I'll play it as best I can tonight for Dave's birthday! (translation: I'll NEVER play it as good as Dave. wink.gif )

BEST SONG EVER. Period. applaudit.gif

QUOTE (astronomer @ Mar 6 2007, 08:52 PM)
Happy B-day. Sure could use some new floyd. Gilmours solo effort wasn't bad.

I have all three of his solo albums. I like them all, but I'm extremely prejudiced. biggrin.gif

Happy Birthday to one of my faves ever! Love Dave!!! trink39.gif

Natch, here we go. This'll do as well as any of the other threads.

All hail Gilmour! notworthy.gif

Awesome...

Got any favorite Gilmour memories?

Mine is Pink Floyd at Yankee Stadium in '94. Gilmour's solo at the end of Comfortably Numb with the disco ball illuminating the whole place. I had seats right on the field...

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 7 2007, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (astronomer @ Mar 6 2007, 08:52 PM)
Happy B-day. Sure could use some new floyd. Gilmours solo effort wasn't bad.

I have all three of his solo albums. I like them all, but I'm extremely prejudiced. biggrin.gif

About Face was an incredible album. "All Lovers Are Deranged" was my favorite track, but all of them were solid.

Happy Birthday to Dave, whom I agree, is one of the all time greats.

QUOTE (Natch @ Aug 13 2007, 10:34 AM)
Awesome...

Got any favorite Gilmour memories?

Mine is Pink Floyd at Yankee Stadium in '94. Gilmour's solo at the end of Comfortably Numb with the disco ball illuminating the whole place. I had seats right on the field...

Well, mine would be Pink Floyd in '94 at Legion Field in Birmingham, Alabama...

Dave's solo...disco ball...same thing. (Except my seats weren't right on the field. eh.gif)

I was in heaven. yes.gif

A close second is the Radio City show. I had learned how to play "Wot's...uh the Deal" just a few weeks before on my acoustic (it's an easy song). I was blown away when they played that.

What I love about Dave's style is that it's not very complex. His guitar method is rather simple, but he manages to make the guitar sound like it's singing. I love to kick back and listen to "Marooned". You can almost smell the ocean...

What do you DG fans think of his latest album, "On An Island"? I love it. So mellow and beautiful...I instantly relax when I listen to it. I have to be in the right mood, of course, but when I am, it's fantastic.

I love David Gilmour's guitar...so much so that a few years ago I got front row tickets to see him do one his solo acoustic gigs (same venue as the DVD, different night). I was just off to his left and thought I'd see all the wonderful fingerwork there was to see.

Regrettably, he'd put on a few pounds (as a man of his age might), giving him just enough of a paunch to tilt the guitar away from me all night. Oh well.

Disco

Yeah if I could die listening to one band it would be Pink Floyd, and one song it would be Comfortably Numb. yes.gif I love David Gilmore's guitar style! Truly an influential artist.

Thanks to this thread, I've had tunes from his "About Face" album in my head all day. I had to go to iTunes and download it.

"About Face" was one of those albums of my youth that I just wore out, literally. I am looking forward to many listens of this great work in the coming days.

Thanks for reminding me about this one. trink39.gif