JUSTICE LEAGUE

lordofthedrum

Here's some info from Variety:

WB Eyeing Justice League Movie

February 23, 2007

Warner Bros. Pictures is looking to make a feature based on super team the Justice League of America, hiring writing duo Kiernan and Michele Mulroney to write the script. It's the first major action the studio has taken on the project.

The feature film is bound to include some combination of DC's most iconic superheroes, although the studio wouldn't confirm which ones they might be. It's unlikely that the studio and DC Comics, a division of Warner, would opt to feature second-tier characters.

Since its inception in 1960, JLA has featured almost every major hero in the DC Comics universe, although the core team has largely remained the same: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter.

The heroes typically band together to fight alien menaces or groups of supervillains.

"The Justice League of America has been a perennial favorite for generations of fans, and we believe their appeal to film audiences will be as strong and diverse as the characters themselves," Warner president of production Jeff Robinov said in announcing the hiring of the Mulroneys.

The trade says that in taking on the ambitious project, Warner faces several conundrums.

Now that the Batman and Superman film franchises have been revived, does the studio go after Christian Bale (Batman Begins) and Brandon Routh (Superman Returns) to star in a Justice League pic? The studio is also trying hard to bring Wonder Woman to the big screen.

To a large degree, casting will depend upon the story arc for the JLA feature and at what point in the superheroes' lives the plot takes place.

I don't think this one will be made. For one, there are too many big characters that'd be beter off in their own feature (and they are...i.e. Supes & Bats). Although I have read that they're making The Flash & Wonder Woman. But then again those 2 flicks have run in to some problems already.

There was a Justice League made-for-tv movie in the 70's that I vaguely remember. I'm guessing that there's a copy of it floating around ebay or somewhere.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 28 2007, 03:54 PM)
I don't think this one will be made. For one, there are too many big characters that'd be beter off in their own feature (and they are...i.e. Supes & Bats). Although I have read that they're making The Flash & Wonder Woman. But then again those 2 flicks have run in to some problems already.
There was a Justice League made-for-tv movie in the 70's that I vaguely remember. I'm guessing that there's a copy of it floating around ebay or somewhere.

It does seem a bit ambitious to have that many superhero characters in one movie, although they pulled it off in X-Men, so I guess it can be done.

I saw a preview somewhere recently for The Fantastic Four vs. The Silver Surfer. Interesting...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 1 2007, 09:13 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 28 2007, 03:54 PM)
I don't think this one will be made.  For one, there are too many big characters that'd be beter off in their own feature (and they are...i.e. Supes & Bats).  Although I have read that they're making The Flash & Wonder Woman.  But then again those 2 flicks have run in to some problems already. 
There was a Justice League made-for-tv movie in the 70's that I vaguely remember.  I'm guessing that there's a copy of it floating around ebay or somewhere.

It does seem a bit ambitious to have that many superhero characters in one movie, although they pulled it off in X-Men, so I guess it can be done.

I saw a preview somewhere recently for The Fantastic Four vs. The Silver Surfer. Interesting...

It's not so much the actual number of heroes but the actual 'characters' behind each hero. The XMEN from the very beginning were a team. They operate as such. With the JL it's just not true. They're heavy hitters that unite only for major threats. They need individual movies. With most/all of the XMEN, individual movies aren't really necessary.

As for the FF vs. Surfer...it isn't really a versus movie I think/hope. The Surfer was born from the FF comic pages so it's appropriate that he be in their flick

There is a spinoff of Smallville planned that involves that version of the JLA. I can't see a movie of the CORE members being made. Too many legalities of using Supes, Bats and Wonder Woman. But the original JLA was Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Flash and Black Canary and Aquaman I believe. So maybe that version would be put together in a film? I'd love to see it either way.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Mar 1 2007, 06:07 AM)
There is a spinoff of Smallville planned that involves that version of the JLA. I can't see a movie of the CORE members being made. Too many legalities of using Supes, Bats and Wonder Woman. But the original JLA was Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Flash and Black Canary and Aquaman I believe. So maybe that version would be put together in a film? I'd love to see it either way.

I always can count on you to get the Info I needed Ken biggrin.gif

I thought that was the case. And I could see the JLA movie featuring the under card Players with Supes WW and Bats showing up at the end in a Cameo type role

QUOTE (Batman @ Mar 1 2007, 08:24 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Mar 1 2007, 06:07 AM)
There is a spinoff of Smallville planned that involves that version of the JLA.  I can't see a movie of the CORE members being made.  Too many legalities of using Supes, Bats and Wonder Woman.  But the original JLA was Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Flash and Black Canary and Aquaman I believe.  So maybe that version would be put together in a film?  I'd love to see it either way.

I always can count on you to get the Info I needed Ken biggrin.gif

I thought that was the case. And I could see the JLA movie featuring the under card Players with Supes WW and Bats showing up at the end in a Cameo type role

I could see that. I just couldn't see Supes and Bats being in the same movie AND giving decent onscreen time for the other members. I'd also want to see less JL members...maybe 5 at most. Then they could dedicate more time to each

The original "movie" (I don't know if it was made for Tv or what...). Some friends have seen it, they say it's so hilarious it's heart threatening... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Notice that Green Lantern is not green anymore...

http://www.dc-on-film.com/justiceleague/tv_01.gif

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Mar 1 2007, 08:36 PM)
The original "movie" (I don't know if it was made for Tv or what...). Some friends have seen it, they say it's so hilarious it's heart threatening... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

That might be the same one that I mentioned in my earlier post. But in the 70s flick there were over 12 superheroes.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 1 2007, 06:43 AM)
QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Mar 1 2007, 08:36 PM)
The original "movie" (I don't know if it was made for Tv or what...). Some friends have seen it, they say it's so hilarious it's heart threatening...  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

That might be the same one that I mentioned in my earlier post. But in the 70s flick there were over 12 superheroes.

In this JLA movie, Martian Manhunter was played by the guy from MASH. The snotty guy. I can't think of his name now. This rendition was brutal to watch. I hope they don't do anything at all like this again. It was absolutely horrible.

I hate CAMP humor. Especially when it comes to my superheroes. yes.gif

angry.gif

Ah, Martian Manhunter. He was always my favorite... He should get his own movie.

As for the JL? No way. Supe and Bats are too big, and too many of the others are too far-fetched to be good movie material. Exculding Batman, I don't think DC heroes port well to the Big, Live Screen.

Although I think a Green Arrow movie has some potential...