GAS Attack Thread

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

For the uninitiated, GAS means Gear Acquisition Syndrome. tongue.gif If you pick up a new toy, tell us about it!

I had a case of GAS today. I cured it by picking up a TC Electronic G-Major effects processor. This is probably going to replace my two Alesis units (they weren't really meant for guitar and were very noisy) and my DigiTech harmonizer. I haven't plugged it in yet but I'm pretty psyched.

TC Electronic G Major

I'm also seriously considering a Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro MIDI controller.

Ground Control Pro

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0002IHGZW.01-AIMZUKBRH6H15._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1129060830_.jpg

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 20 2007, 07:25 PM)
For the uninitiated, GAS means Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

I like the term " B T B ". Meaning, Back To Basics - instrument + amp = sound ... Drum + mic = sound ... guitar + cord + amp = tone (granted you play a guitar that has tone).

The technology hasn't changed for 40+ years when it comes to "stringed instruments". The best ones available today are still the old ones that are simple in design, without bells and whistles. Tone is the key word...and that is accomplished by plugging a great sounding instrument into an amplification source...thus equalling "tone and sound".

While I appreciate all the new processors and that they can replicate (not really) the vintage sounds. I never see anyone trying to get that sound without using them!

Sometimes musicians forget that, the sounds they hear on their favorite cd's are achieved by just recording the instrument, the way it actually sounds, with no extra processing.

So many people buy all kinds of pedals, processors, effects and stomp boxes...never realizing that their instrument sounds better without any of those things. " It actually sounds like "the instrument" it is!

Hence my typical comment, "guitar + amp = tone". cool.gif

BTW, 1-0-0, that is a good unit. smile.gif

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jan 21 2007, 05:28 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 20 2007, 07:25 PM)
For the uninitiated, GAS means Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

I like the term " B T B ". Meaning, Back To Basics - instrument + amp = sound ... Drum + mic = sound ... guitar + cord + amp = tone (granted you play a guitar that has tone).

The technology hasn't changed for 40+ years when it comes to "stringed instruments". The best ones available today are still the old ones that are simple in design, without bells and whistles. Tone is the key word...and that is accomplished by plugging a great sounding instrument into an amplification source...thus equalling "tone and sound".

While I appreciate all the new processors and that they can replicate (not really) the vintage sounds. I never see anyone trying to get that sound without using them!

Sometimes musicians forget that, the sounds they hear on their favorite cd's are achieved by just recording the instrument, the way it actually sounds, with no extra processing.

So many people buy all kinds of pedals, processors, effects and stomp boxes...never realizing that their instrument sounds better without any of those things. " It actually sounds like "the instrument" it is!

Hence my typical comment, "guitar + amp = tone". cool.gif

BTW, 1-0-0, that is a good unit. smile.gif

I agree 100%. That's why I like the G-Major -- it doesn't color your tone. It just adds whatever effect you choose to add when an effect is called for. I bought this unit to give me effects options, not tone options. ALL my tone comes from my amp, my guitars, and my fingers. All my distortion comes from my old-school Marshall tube amp. No distortion boxes, no EQs, no compressors...no effects unless an effect is needed to fit the song. wink.gif

Bah.....

I love my effects. You're right, tone comes from the fingers, guitar and amp and that is the foundation but you've gotta have some salt and pepper in there you know? That's the problem I am having right now, all my effect pedals are between me and the amp. With my GAS item, I will soon remedy that.

I'm getting one of THESE! That way the amp can shine and the effects can be the salt and pepper.

Great unit man. I was just looking at that yesterday. That should be really sweet. Can't wait to hear your review.

Edited by rushfanNlv

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jan 21 2007, 12:29 PM)
Bah.....

I love my effects.  You're right, tone comes from the fingers, guitar and amp and that is the foundation but you've gotta have some salt and pepper in there you know? That's the problem I am having right now, all my effect pedals are between me and the amp.  With my GAS item, I will soon remedy that.

I'm getting one of THESE!  That way the amp can shine and the effects can be the salt and pepper.

That looks pretty sweet. With a switcher like that, the one thing you need to be concerned with is pops and clicks when you switch between effects loops. If it's a quality unit switching should be silent. Is that unit available or is it soon to be released? Might want to see some reviews -- or try one yourself -- before you buy.

Another option is the Ground Control Pro MIDI controller I mentioned above coupled with the Digital Music GCX Guitar Audio Switcher. All your pedals plug into that just like with the Combinator 2. Any pedal that isn't being used is taken out of the signal chain, thereby preserving your tone. Plus it can be used to switch between different amps. The GCX and Ground Control are made by Voodoo Labs, and I've seen great reviews for those units.

There are some reviews. All pretty favorable. I looked at the switcher you are talking about and while it is great and will do the same thing the combinatior can, I prefer the combinator because it will sit on my new custom 25" x 35" pedalboard (making cable lenght shorter) and it gives me power for all my pedals.

The first combinator did have pops when switching between loops but the second version fixed that.

QUOTE (mortkort @ Jan 22 2007, 05:50 PM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 22 2007, 08:54 AM)
GAS?? Where?

Better get one of these...

http://www.fiendishthingies.com/gas%20mask%20side.JPG

tongue.gif

laugh.gif goodpost.gif

laugh.gif

http://forums.vugames.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/9-10643-110969-3568/funny%20fart.jpg

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 22 2007, 07:54 PM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ Jan 22 2007, 05:50 PM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 22 2007, 08:54 AM)
GAS?? Where?

Better get one of these...

http://www.fiendishthingies.com/gas%20mask%20side.JPG

tongue.gif

laugh.gif goodpost.gif

laugh.gif

http://forums.vugames.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/9-10643-110969-3568/funny%20fart.jpg

icon_really_happy_guy.gif goodpost.gif

i just new the term GAS yesterday, when acompanying afriend buying a new SD-1 pedal he has longed for

my Nexst purchase will be a Bill Lawrence L500 pickups, and a CE-5 unit by BOSS

i got this one yesterday for my birthday, its pretty decent!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/mortenmat/DSC01570.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/mortenmat/DSC01582.jpg

In the past month I have gotten a TC-Helicon VoiceLive vocal processor, a Geddy J, a 19" and a 17" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid crash cymbals and a Yamaha 6.5 x 14 Copper snare.

I got a new job!

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Mar 26 2007, 07:35 PM)
In the past month I have gotten a TC-Helicon VoiceLive vocal processor, a Geddy J, a 19" and a 17" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid crash cymbals and a Yamaha 6.5 x 14 Copper snare.

I got a new job!

And we all know extra cash leads to GAS! yes.gif

Yeah, I built a new recording machine yesterday so I need to add that to the count.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Mar 26 2007, 08:45 PM)
Yeah, I built a new recording machine yesterday so I need to add that to the count.

That is so awesome. trink38.gif I seriously want to be a musician, composer, and producer when I get older.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Mar 26 2007, 04:45 PM)

Ok #73, we will be in business soon BTW. I have been in recording limbo at home for a couple years because of machine issues. I am just a software upgrade away. La Villa has been on a back burner and I may finally get around to doing it so we can put it together.

Oh and I'll be going to the Jones Beach show too so I'll see you in the summer, my friend.

Line 6 Variax Electric 700 and Acoustic 700s, a Fender Princeton recording amp all within the last two months. I'm cured of GAS for at least 3 or 4 weeks I think biggrin.gif