Goober Radio!

rushgoober

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Oct 18 2008, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Oct 18 2008, 12:05 PM)
Gary, could you play "Machine Messiah" by Yes next week (if you have Drama)?

Uh-oh, my ears are beginning to bleed at the thought of Machine Messiah. Somewhere, Jon Anderson is cackling wildly. It sounds like the crypt-keeper's laugh BEFORE his voice changed.

And btw, "Messiah" and "higher" don't rhyme.

Jon doesn't sing vocals on that album. Trevor Horn does. cool.gif

If you don't like that, I could request "Cinema", the Grammy award-winning instrumental from 90125. laugh.gif

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 23 2008, 08:49 AM)
Warm Wet Circles

i had to look this up.

sorry man, i don't have any marillion on cd. i used to have their first 4 albums on cassette tape, but i recorded over them years ago. way, way too lyric-heavy for me with not enough music. eh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 23 2008, 01:56 PM)
Warm Wet Circles

i had to look this up.

sorry man, i don't have any marillion on cd. i used to have their first 4 albums on cassette tape, but i recorded over them years ago. way, way too lyric-heavy for me with not enough music. eh.gif

And you call yourself a Prog fan? What are we gonna do?

If you want music, get Frost - Milliontown. yes.gif Great new Prog. The title track from that CD is 26 minutes of fantastic music chops and melody.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 23 2008, 11:07 AM)
Warm Wet Circles

i had to look this up.

If you want music, get Frost - Milliontown. yes.gif Great new Prog. The title track from that CD is 26 minutes of fantastic music chops and melody.

Yes! I love that album. Hyperventilate is amazing.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Oct 23 2008, 11:07 AM)
Warm Wet Circles

i had to look this up.

i've only recently even really considered more modern day prog. my prejudice against it stems from when i first got into prog which was in the late 80's. back then, my experience with 80's prog was almost universally that it was a pale shadow of the vintage stuff from 1969-1977 or so. unfortunately, marillion was one of the groups i tried that i just couldn't get into. it sounded like they were trying really hard to be genesis, but with five times as many lyrics that just exhausted me to listen to.

Of course every group is different, but mostly my experience back then with newer prog was that it sounded like attempts to re-create the glory days of 70's prog, but ended up sounding sterile by comparison. I've noticed the same thing with modern-day psychedelic music - it comes off as attempting to recreate something that is gone. It's not just trying to make similar music while doing the same drugs or whatever, but it seems to also be a product of a time and place, of a spirit and movement that takes place, and once it's gone, it's gone.

That isn't to say that people can no longer make great music in those genres, just that the music ends up being very different, almost to the point where it's hard to call it the same genre. I often use the term neo-prog to refer to more modern day prog as while they're both in the greater "prog" family, the sounds and styles of the different eras are distinct enough that at least for me personally it makes sense to identify them differently. I've never claimed to have comprehesnive knowledge about progressive rock in its entirety, but I know a lot about 70's progressive rock specifically. Even then I still have gaping holes in my collection and there are many people out there who know a hell of a lot more than I do.

All that said, there have been some modern day groups I have gotten into lately like Dream Theater, Radiohead, Ozric Tentacles, etc. that gives me hope that good new music can exist in the progressive or vaguely progressive realms. So that's my very long way around answer for why I haven't checked out a group like Frost yet. I very well may like them.

Usually though, just to be honest, short of someone sending me a burned copy, it could be a very long time before I get around to it as I've already got a massive want list of material from the 60's and 70's that I don't have yet that I still want, and that's primarily where I focus my musical energy.

Anyway, if you're still awake, there's my response. tongue.gif unsure.gif

goob. if it's not too late to request a song.

i would like to hear... um wait that's gonna be a long one,

"The west coast pop are experimental band-shifting sands"

WTF were they up too with this name of a band?!

QUOTE (Larks @ Oct 29 2008, 07:53 AM)
goob. if it's not too late to request a song.

i would like to hear... um wait that's gonna be a long one,

"The west coast pop are experimental band-shifting sands"

WTF were they up too with this name of a band?!

dude, it's the coolest band name ever! tongue.gif

i love their third album best - mostly because it's awesome, but it also makes for one of the longest album titles ever:

The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - Volume III: A Child's Guide to Good and Evil

Believe me, that's quite a mouthful to say on the radio! yes.gif

Ok man, usually I don't take requests this late, but for you I'm making an exception. wink.gif

Goobs I might actually be able to catch some of your show tonight.

I have a test in my night class, @ 6 CST (4 PST). I should be able to finish and get home and catch the last half hour to an hour.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 30 2008, 02:48 PM)
Goobs I might actually be able to catch some of your show tonight.

I have a test in my night class, @ 6 CST (4 PST). I should be able to finish and get home and catch the last half hour to an hour.

Cool beans, man! trink39.gif

Erm......sorry Gary, just got your PM. blush4.gif

To be honest, I was really tired and not in a very good mood last night. sad.gif