The Pass

o baterista

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Feb 7 2006, 03:08 AM)
No hero in your tragedy
No daring in your escape
No salutes for your surrender
Nothing noble in your fate

True Genius

I wonder how many young lives this song saved?

Mine. This song and a couple others got me through some rough times. Great lyrics and drumming by Neil. Love Ged's voice on it as well. Greatest song off Presto by far.

I love the end of this song, when Geddy sounds all tough saying "turn around and WALK the razor's edge!" 1022.gif

I'd never turn my back and slam the door on you Ged..... laugh.gif

QUOTE (cygnalschick @ Feb 7 2006, 10:45 PM)
I love the end of this song, when Geddy sounds all tough saying "turn around and WALK the razor's edge!"  1022.gif

I'd never turn my back and slam the door on you Ged..... laugh.gif

YEAH!!!

But seriously...as I've said elsewhere* (on another forum's thread) about this song:

For me, the goosebump-inducing moments are Geddy's voice ringing out alone when the instruments drop out on

Christ, what have you done?

and the concluding words of the chorus (and of the song)--

Don't turn your back and slam the door on me

--the plea of the one who's hoping to be heard but doesn't know whether these words will make any difference...

they could be the words of any friend, lover, family member--but to me they've always sounded like the words of the parent (Neil as lyricist and Geddy as singer being old enough to be father to this youth), in danger or fear of being increasingly shut out...

QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Feb 7 2006, 03:59 PM)
I may get flamed for this, ph34r.gif but I wonder if "The Pass" was meant as a kind of penance for the ending of "2112". Maybe Peart was worried that kids would be tempted take that song a little too much to heart, especially after it became so popular?

I wouldn't think that it was written as such, but there may have been an unconscious influence from that in Neil's mind when he penned the song. It's a great song though. yes.gif

QUOTE (NoDeity @ Jan 20 2005, 03:54 AM)
The song is about teen suicide.

I was under the impression that it didn't have to do with suicide at all, actually.

A dear friend and Rush turbo-nerd informed me that the comment about "the razor's edge" was a reference to a book where a man discovered himself in Buddhism -- called Walk The Razor's Edge or The Razor's Edge or something.

He could be totally wrong, but that's always what I have thought about it.

Guest NoDeity
Take a look at the graphics on the video screen on the RIR DVD. Taking that into consideration, along with the lyrics, it seems pretty clear that it's about teen suicide, at least on one level. That doesn't necessarily mean, of course, that it wasn't at least partly inspired by the book about which your friend was talking.

It definitely deals with the late -1980s increase in teen suicide. It is an attack on the twisted notion of dying honorably, in the Samurai tradition.

"No hero in your tragedy

No daring in your escape

No salutes for your surrender

Nothing noble in your fate

Christ, what have you done? 2.gif

Archived