The Paper Chase

rushgoober

Whenever lists come up on TRF of the best tv shows of all time, I always forget this show, which I think was one of the true greats.

Originally it was a movie in 1973 (I think) which I never saw. Then it was a tv show on PBS for one season in 1978-1979, which I think I saw some of, but I was pretty young.

What I remember most is when Showtime revived it and had 4 seasons from 1983-1986. Apparently these have never been released on VHS or DVD, but it was a truly great show about a bunch of law students at a very presitigious school with an incredibly difficult teacher played by John Houseman.

One time a few years ago I had the pleasure of riding alone in an elevator with James Stephens who played the main character and I got to tell him how much I loved the show. I used to watch it with my mother when I was growing up and we were both big fans.

Anyone else remember this show?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 22 2006, 07:05 AM)
Whenever lists come up on TRF of the best tv shows of all time, I always forget this show, which I think was one of the true greats.

Originally it was a movie in 1973 (I think) which I never saw. Then it was a tv show on PBS for one season in 1978-1979, which I think I saw some of, but I was pretty young.

What I remember most is when Showtime revived it and had 4 seasons from 1983-1986. Apparently these have never been released on VHS or DVD, but it was a truly great show about a bunch of law students at a very presitigious school with an incredibly difficult teacher played by John Houseman.

One time a few years ago I had the pleasure of riding alone in an elevator with James Stephens who played the main character and I got to tell him how much I loved the show. I used to watch it with my mother when I was growing up and we were both big fans.

Anyone else remember this show?

Wow. I remember that one. I loved all the old tv shows and movies. They were the best. Compared to a lot of these crappy shows now. Only a few that I watch now. :unsure

I LOVED that show. I watched the original season and then the rest of the seasons on SHowtime. I have most of the episodes on VHS. If I met James Stephens, I would have defintely told him how much I loved that show.

Many favorite moments:

"Bell, you have enough fat on you to last WEEKS!" - Seating Chart

"Mr. Golden, your right front tire needs air." - Kingsfield after angry engineering grad students dissassemble and re-assemble the pres. of the law review's VW Beetle in the law review office

"Lawyers, huh? Your briefs are showing" - Wonks

Classic, classic show......

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 22 2006, 11:47 AM)
I LOVED that show. I watched the original season and then the rest of the seasons on SHowtime. I have most of the episodes on VHS. If I met James Stephens, I would have defintely told him how much I loved that show.

He was VERY nice, btw. When I brought up the show, his attitude was like, "Wow, that was a LOOOONG time ago." He appreciated me complimenting him and the show.