Exercise and Cancer Prevention in Women

ladirushfan80

i post alot of good stuff in the TIME TO GET SWOLE thread...but because this one was kinda specific to us beautiful ladies...i thought i'd put it here.....

rose.gif heart.gif rose.gif heart.gif rose.gif heart.gif

The following is an excerpt from the Nov/Dec 2006 newsletter of the National Institute of Health Science.

The second leading cause of adult death is cancer, all types combined. When considering cancer, it's important to discuss the cancer by type, as the risk factors for one type of cancer may be very different from another.

Lung cancer has become the leading cancer concern for men and women. Unfortunately, it is the burden of smoking from prior decades that has led to the surge in lung cancer deaths since 1970. As fewer people adopt the habit of smoking cigarettes over time, the number of lung cancer deaths will slowly decrease. This is a cancer that does not appear to be directly affected by exercise. The number of women diagnosed with breast cancer is still greater than the number diagnosed with lung cancer, but more women die of lung cancer because it is far less curable than breast cancer. This is just another reason to discourage smoking.

Data exploring the relationship between every type of cancer and exercise is not available, but let's review what has been done. We will examine whether being physically active has any effect on developing colorectal, breast, ovarian, endometrial, or pancreatic cancers in this section.

Exercise and Colorectal Cancer: Colorectal cancer risk is clearly decreased in people, both men and women who are active. Numerous studies of both occupational and leisure time physical activity have shown decreased colon cancer risk, with higher levels of activity reducing risk by about 50 percent!. One component of the Nurses' Health Study showed that both low body mass index (BMI) and high physical activity were associated with decreased colon cancer risk. Specifically, for women who exercised regularly, such as walking at a normal or brisk pace for one hour per day, colon cancer risk was reduced 46 percent, statistically, risk for males should be about the same. A meta-analysis of studies also confirms reduction of colon cancer risk with physical activity. Specifically, recreational physical activity reduced colon cancer risk by 29 percent in women. Physical activity did not reduce risk of rectal cancer in either sex in this meta-analysis, but studies have found food mobility to increase by 56% with both resistance and cardiovascular type exercise. The thought is that if you reduce time in gut transport, you also reduce risk exposure; adequate fiber intake should also help this problem.

Exercise and Breast Cancer: For breast cancer, the study results are mixed. Three studies were published from the Nurses' Health Study database. The first in 1998 showed no link between physical activity, in late adolescence or in the recent past, and breast cancer risk among young adult women. One significant limitation of this study was the relatively short follow-up period of six years. Another limitation was reliance on exercise history from just a few discrete points in time, as opposed to a lifetime exercise history.

The second study, published in 1999, used several different measures of adult physical activity and studied pre- and post-menopausal women. The results showed that women who engaged in moderate or vigorous physical activity for seven or more hours per week had a statistically significantly lower risk of breast cancer than those who were active less than one hour per week. The relative risk was 0.82, meaning breast cancer was reduced 18 percent in vigorous exercisers. In this study, women were followed for 16 years and physical activity was assessed on multiple questionnaires throughout the years of follow-up.

Finally, a third study from this database was published in 2003. A surprising result from this study was that pre-menopausal women with a higher body mass index (BMI greater than or equal to 30) had an increased risk of breast cancer from regular physical activity. The theory behind this finding is as follows: Overweight and obesity are associated with anovulation (not releasing eggs from the ovary). Anovulation reduces risk of breast cancer. Regular exercise in obese women may actually increase their frequency of ovulation and therefore increase breast cancer risk. A limitation of this study was the low number of women who engaged in regular vigorous exercise and the type of exercise was not fully explored. It is unlikely that sedentary living has a protective affect.

A recent study outside the Nurses' Health Study database examined the relationship between breast cancer and physical activity. A case-control study suggested that any exercise activity reduced risk of breast carcinoma in situ, but only in women without a family history of breast cancer. The study included white, Hispanic and black women, aged 35 to 64. Lifetime exercise history was determined by personal interview. The reduction in risk for breast cancer in physically active women without a family history of breast cancer was 35 percent. Higher levels of physical activity did not confer any additional benefit. This confirmed results from an earlier similar study done by the same university published in 1994 that showed a reduced risk of breast cancer of 58 percent in women who exercised 3.8 or more hours per week over their lifetime. The population in the earlier study differed in that the women were all under age 40.

The results from research studies regarding the relationship between breast cancer and physical activity are mixed. We haven't cited every study done in this area, but the ones mentioned mirror what has been published from studies of other groups. Although we would like to say that regular physical activity lowers breast cancer risk, and in many studies it does, it has not been consistently shown to be beneficial. One main reason for the apparent contradictory findings may be inaccurate or inadequate exercise history; another may be the limit in the number of actual studies to date.

Exercise and Ovarian Cancer: Ovarian cancer risk was also studied in the Nurses' Health Study cohort. One study in 2001, by Bertone et al, did not find any association between recreational physical activity and ovarian cancer risk. However, there was a suggestion that women who engaged in frequent vigorous activity had a modest increase in ovarian cancer risk. Dr. Bertone was lead author of another study in 2002, with a different patient population, that showed no association between any level of physical activity and ovarian cancer risk. In other databases, including studies done in other countries, results are mixed. Some studies show no effect, some show a protective effect, and others show increased risk of ovarian cancer with regular exercise. A recent study published on this issue was done in 2004. It showed no overall significant association between physical activity and risk of ovarian cancer, although the results were suggestive of a protective effect. In summary, it is unclear if exercise has any significant impact on risk of ovarian cancer. However, it is likely that other factors may have skewed the results too. Dietary habits, pollution, exposure to harmful chemicals or high acidic diets can outweigh the positive effects of exercise.

Exercise and Endometrial (Uterine) Cancer: Data on whether regular exercise reduces endometrial cancer is unclear. A prospective cohort study done in the United States showed a non-significant reduction in endometrial cancer risk in women who were physically active as compared to those with the lowest levels of activity. This study was limited by its focus on recent physical activity as opposed to lifelong exercise patterns. A case-control study done in the state of Washington showed that more women in the control group (women without cancer) were regular exercisers than cases (women with cancer). In this study, there was little evidence of a trend of decreasing risk with increasing activity. A review article from Australia stated that obesity and diabetes increase the risk of endometrial cancer, while low-fat diets and exercise appear to decrease risk.

Exercise and Pancreatic Cancer: The Nurses' Health Study also examined the relationship between physical activity and pancreatic cancer. Finding anything that reduces risk of pancreatic cancer is helpful because this is a rapidly fatal cancer. Often diagnosed in later stages, because it is asymptomatic early on, pancreatic cancer kills about 15,000 women on average every year in the United States .

Two prospective studies examined the relationship between pancreatic cancer and exercise. A 2001 publication by Michaud showed that in the Nurses' Health Study, obesity significantly increased the risk of pancreatic cancer and physical activity appeared to decrease the risk of pancreatic cancer, especially among women who were overweight. By contrast, a 2003 study by Lee et al, showed no association between physical activity or overweight/obesity and pancreatic cancer in men and women. However, there weren't enough women in the study to be analyzed separately from the men. The jury is still out as to whether physical activity reduces pancreatic cancer risk in women; but the Michaud study is compelling. It studied women only and showed a significant 30 to 40 percent reduction in risk.

Exercise and Cancer - Summary of Important Findings

* Colorectal cancer risk is clearly decreased in women who are regularly physically active. Higher levels of activity reduce risk by about 50 percent!

* The results regarding the relationship between breast cancer and physical activity are mixed.

* Results are mixed regarding ovarian cancer. Some studies show no effect, some show a protective effect, and others show increased risk of ovarian cancer with regular exercise.

* Physical activity may decrease the risk of endometrial cancer.

* Physical activity may decrease the risk of pancreatic cancer, especially among women who are overweight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/amandaladi/moving%20pictures%20smilies/REExePushup3HL1.gif http://bipolarhope.org/images/exsitups.gif

I started thinking this morning that in addition to the advice thread......we could do a heath & fitness thing.....women tend to want to be more active when the have someone to support thmein it...........why do you think "curves" has gotten so dang popular????

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Nov 26 2006, 08:05 AM)
I started thinking this morning that in addition to the advice thread......we could do a heath & fitness thing.....women tend to want to be more active when the have someone to support thmein it...........why do you think "curves" has gotten so dang popular????

ladi, you have an excellent idea! yes.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thanks for sharing the info about exercise and cancer. It was spot on. Our workplace implemented the American Cancer Society's Active for Life program last year; some of us continue on with it. We get 25 points for drinking a minimum of 48 oz. of water per day; 25 points for eating 5+ fruits and veggies; 1 point per minute of exercise. Folks that want to lose weight get 25 points per pound. During the initial 13 weeks (the standard program is 10, apparently), I racked up over 12,000 points (came in second among the 100+ people participating--who knew--I didn't count everything I could have). Most of my points were earned by working out. I tend to workout better when I'm keeping track, so that's why I have continued with it. What the point distribution said to me is that sure, losing weight can be valuable, but exercise is where it's at. If I had focused on losing weight, (in addition to drinking water and eating veggies, which is important), I'd not have racked up very many points. In 13 weeks, it might have been possible to safely lose 30 pounds, but that would have only been 750 points (not that I wanted to lose 30 pounds), which I could easily earn working out for half a week. I am middle age, have three kids, a missing ACL in one knee and osteoarthristis in the other, a full-time job, various community activities, and I find time to do this (including running 15-20 miles per week)--it's definitely a priorty. The house looks like hell though (sorta kinda), ha ha. Even if I don't beat the dreaded diseases, in the meantime, it feels better to try to do sometime to maintain health. http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/...ve_For_Life.asp

that's awesome Inkanta!!!

it's good to know (and to post) that regardless of how busy your life is, you CAN make time for exercise!!

you should go check out this thread when you have the chance:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=8565

chock full of great stuff!

goodpost.gif

I started my exercises back up today - I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. So it was nice to see this here.

And a one and a two and a three. common001.gif

Come on ladies lets get moving. biggrin.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/amandaladi/moving%20pictures%20smilies/REExePushup3HL1.gif

Alright I got through the low impact stuff. 4 days ago I began the mega crunches. ohmy.gif

ranton.gif Now I get this is supposed to be good for you and all - but I feel like a 18 wheel truck is parked on my stomach. There is no direction I can move it without pain - even breathing hurts. fists crying.gif

And if one more person tells me one more time to work through the pain waffen093.gif - that's about as helpful as being told to breathe while having a kid. Which shall I add got my stomach this way to begin with:rfl: I'm sure in a week I'll feel better but right now, I would rather be in labor at least then you get something for the pain... cool10.gif rantoff.gif

smile.gif Felt better to get it out smile.gif

QUOTE (owlswing @ Mar 4 2007, 05:54 PM)
Alright I got through the low impact stuff. 4 days ago I began the mega crunches. ohmy.gif

ranton.gif Now I get this is supposed to be good for you and all - but I feel like a 18 wheel truck is parked on my stomach. There is no direction I can move it without pain - even breathing hurts. fists crying.gif

And if one more person tells me one more time to work through the pain waffen093.gif - that's about as helpful as being told to breathe while having a kid. Which shall I add got my stomach this way to begin with:rfl: I'm sure in a week I'll feel better but right now, I would rather be in labor at least then you get something for the pain... cool10.gif rantoff.gif

ok...

first off all..... the fact that you are in PAIN...is actually a GOOD thing...

that's means you worked it girl!!!

GOOD FOR YOU !!!!

stretches... yes, it hurts... but stretch those muscles out hon... it will help, and don't forget to BREATHE !!!!

that will help also..

and one other thing, take some iburprofen for the pain... (if your system can handle it)... it reduces the swelling, and will take some of the edge off...

give your abs a rest for the day, but for me? working out AGAIN is one of the best things to aleviate the pain, actually...

hair of the dog honey...

I'm ....just..... SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!

fists crying.gif <----- tears of JOY!!!!

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Mar 4 2007, 06:35 PM)

And if one more person tells me one more time to work through the pain  waffen093.gif - that's about as helpful as being told to breathe while having a kid. Which shall I add got my stomach this way to begin with:rfl:  I'm sure in a week I'll feel better but right now, I would rather be in labor at least then you get something  for the pain... cool10.gif rantoff.gif

ok...

GOOD FOR YOU !!!!

stretches... yes, it hurts... but stretch those muscles out hon... it will help, and don't forget to BREATHE !!!!

that will help also..

and one other thing, take some iburprofen for the pain... (if your system can handle it)... it reduces the swelling, and will take some of the edge off...

give your abs a rest for the day, but for me? working out AGAIN is one of the best things to aleviate the pain, actually...

hair of the dog honey...

Thank you. I did try and work through it today couldn't do the full routine but got 3/4 way there. wink.gif

Thank you so much for the tip. I also just saw the other thread wow you have great advice on this stuff!!!! yes.gif I may need you as a personal trainer! laugh.gif

QUOTE (owlswing @ Mar 4 2007, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Mar 4 2007, 06:35 PM)

And if one more person tells me one more time to work through the pain  waffen093.gif - that's about as helpful as being told to breathe while having a kid. Which shall I add got my stomach this way to begin with:rfl:  I'm sure in a week I'll feel better but right now, I would rather be in labor at least then you get something  for the pain... cool10.gif rantoff.gif

ok...

GOOD FOR YOU !!!!

that will help also..

hair of the dog honey...

Thank you. I did try and work through it today couldn't do the full routine but got 3/4 way there. wink.gif

Thank you so much for the tip. I also just saw the other thread wow you have great advice on this stuff!!!! yes.gif I may need you as a personal trainer! laugh.gif

cool.gif right on....

Many women probably begin a running program with a physical goal foremost in their minds, like losing weight or toning their legs. These are definitely some potential benefits that come from running, but they're not the only ones.

One of the greatest benefits of a runner's lifestyle is that it strongly contributes to a woman's overall health in so many ways. While much national attention is given to the epidemic of heart disease in men, it's also the number one cause of death for women in the United States.

Running and other cardiovascular activities are excellent ways to strengthen the heart and ensure the efficient flow of blood and oxygen throughout the body, things that are proven to help to decrease the risk of a heart attack.

One of the first things a doctor will tell you, if you have hypertension, or high blood pressure, is to start exercising. Exercise, combined with maintaining a healthy weight, is one of the best ways to naturally reduce your blood pressure if it's above normal. Running also helps keep high cholesterol in check.

The more miles you run, the more health benefits you'll reap. According to a National Runner's Health study, "The benefits of running forty miles per week versus under 10 miles can be dramatic. Women in the forty-mile club reduce their risk of cardiovascular disease by an estimated 45 percent."

Now, 40 miles a week if a lot. But it's good to know that we can have a degree of control over our physical being and our health as we continue to age. And with the more effort we put into it, the more rewards we'll reap.

Some of the other overall beneficial side effects of running and other cardiovascular exercise include:

1. More efficient immune system. Your body functions more efficiently and is better able to fend off those nasty germs.

2. Arthritis control. According to the Surgeon General, running and other cardiovascular exercise can actually help control the joint swelling and pain that goes along with arthritis.

3. Breast cancer prevention. According to the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, "One to three hours of exercise a week over a woman's reproductive lifetime may bring a 20 to 30 percent reduction in the risk of breast cancer.

4. Increase bone density. Women are susceptible to osteoporosis (a decrease in bone density due to loss of calcium) as we age. Running and other weight-bearing exercises, increases bone density, which can fend off osteoporosis.

5. Healthier skin. Running improves circulation, which in turn encourages your body to flush out waste products and fat deposits that can affect your skin and complexion.

Very nice to see threads like this. Good health and vitality are priceless beyond words. Eat right, get exercise and enjoy life. It's that simple. Good luck and good living!

Archived