Best IPA?

Guest NoDeity

Guest NoDeity

Hophead IPA, again.

Two questions for all IPA fans:

1. What, in your opinion, is the best IPA you've tried?

2. What, in your opinion, is the hoppiest IPA you've tried?

(If the same ale is given as the answer to both questions, that sounds like something I need to try.)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was split off from the What Are We Drinking Tonight thread. Seemed worthy of its own thread. I'll answer the two questions when I try that bottle of Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA I have sitting in the fridge. I have a feeling it will be the asnwer to that second question.

Excellent Question- My current favorite IPA is from a local brewery here in Asheville called Shiva IPA

I read about this beer from Denver that while not an IPA sounds very interesting and thought it might interest you.

I've tried most of the products from the Great divide Brewery but never this one.

from the local paper:

The beer: Fresh Hop Pale Ale.

The style: Pale ale.

Brewed by: Great Divide, Denver, Col.

Availability: Extremely limited seasonal beer.

Why try it: Once a year, Great Divide Brewing goers the extra mile to make a seasonal beer using fresh, rather than pelletized hops. It takes some work - and about four or five times as many hops to pull this off, but it's worth the effort.

The beer pours up amber-orange in a glass, with frothy head that holds on. As for the fresh hops, they bring unique, crisp, grassy notes to the taste. But the flavor is moderate and balanced.

This brew is in extremely limited supply and sold in 22-ounce bottles. It's not exactly a sessions beer, with alcohol of just over 6 percent, so share it with a friend.

ps- I guess you know the origin of IPA but do you know what plant hops are closely related to?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 13 2006, 07:10 PM)
This was split off from the What Are We Drinking Tonight thread. Seemed worthy of its own thread. I'll answer the two questions when I try that bottle of Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA I have sitting in the fridge. I have a feeling it will be the asnwer to that second question.

I've actually had that one before! Last summer my friend took me to one of the Dogfish Head restaraunts in Gaithersburg, MD and I had that 90 minute IPA on a sampler. I would have liked to have tried the 120 minute, but they didnt have any in stock.

The best IPA I've tried is Stone IPA. The hoppiest is the Stone Ruination IPA. Stone also has a 10th year anniversary IPA at 10% ABV.. I haven't tried it, but I should.

With that said, I'm relatively new to IPA's. I've only been sampling them for about a year now. I really like Sierra Nevada IPA, but it's probably not the best out there. The Celebration Ale is my favorite ale out there, it's very hoppy and tasted like an IPA, although not officially called an IPA...

White Hawk Ale (IPA) is also very good, from Mendicino Brewing Co.

I still have many IPAs to try.. The Dogfish Head sounds like a winner, but I've yet to see it in my area.

QUOTE (Midway Hawker @ Nov 14 2006, 02:35 AM)
The best IPA I've tried is Stone IPA.  The hoppiest is the Stone Ruination IPA.  Stone also has a 10th year anniversary IPA at 10% ABV..  I haven't tried it, but I should.

With that said, I'm relatively new to IPA's.  I've only been sampling them for about a year now.  I really like Sierra Nevada IPA, but it's probably not the best out there.  The Celebration Ale is my favorite ale out there, it's very hoppy and tasted like an IPA, although not officially called an IPA... 

White Hawk Ale (IPA) is also very good, from Mendicino Brewing Co.

I still have many IPAs to try..  The Dogfish Head sounds like a winner, but I've yet to see it in my area.

I had a Stone tonight. I think it's the benchmark for IPAs. Bitter yet well balanced. It always tastes like it was just brewed. Victory HopDevil is my other fave.

SN Celebration isn't called an IPA, but Beer Advocate classifies it as one. It certainly displays all of the characteristics of an IPA: The hop bite, the fruity pine smell, the lacing left on the glass from the frothy foam after every sip.

I liked the White Hawk too, but it seemed a little thin to me. ACME California IPA is pretty good, about on par with the White Hawk, IMO.

The Dogfish Head 90-Minute is a Double IPA. Those are a whole different animal. They're like in between a regular IPA and a Strong Ale like Arrogant Bastard. Very bitter and strong...heavier than an IPA. Stone Ruination IPA is another example. I'm just finishing up a six of Stoudt's Double IPA and although I've enjoyed them, I like regular IPAs better. You can only take so much of the heavier Doubles.

I hear ya.. I only tried the Stone Ruination IPA once.. I bought a 22 oz bottle, and althougth it was very good, it was also Very Very strong!!!! I had trouble finishing the whole thing.. I had a Double IPA at Sacramento Brewing Co. one time and I didn't care for it at all.. It was so hoppy that you really couldn't even taste it... I agree with you, I'll stick with the regular IPAs for now.

You guys have mentioned most of my favorites already. I love the Dogfish Head 60 and 90 min! I had a 90 min tonight at a Fox and Hound bar here and followed it up with a couple Arrogant Bastards on tap...good stuff!

I would also highly recommend trying Great Lakes Commodore Perry. It has become one of my favorites lately. It's a seasonal and they stop brewing it around September but there are still plenty available in my area. I think Great lakes is a very underrated brewery that makes some outstanding beers.

http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/media/beer_profiles/CommodorePerry_BottleGlass.jpg

QUOTE (Nickslikk2112 @ Dec 22 2006, 03:23 AM)
Deuchars IPA - not overly strong but nicely hopped
Marstons Old Empire  - Exceedingly nice drop, from Burton on Trent, nuff said!
Greene King IPA - Them East Anglians know how to make beer smile.gif

eh.gif come to california & you will see the difference yes.gif now, i won't be held responsible if you start stomping on the kitchen floor singing i-don't-know-what kind of songs from drinking too much no.gif

Edited by daveyt

QUOTE (daveyt @ Dec 27 2006, 11:30 PM)
ice cold yes.gif

http://www.wallywine.com/images/Product/icon/274.jpg

Which one?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 13 2006, 10:49 PM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Beer/6108_60minute.jpg

Dogfish Head 60-Minute IPA. First time trying this. Outstanding.

Yes, it is an awesome IPA.

If it had to choose the single "best" IPA from among those that I have tried, this one would probably be it.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 14 2006, 03:00 AM)
The Dogfish Head 90-Minute is a Double IPA. Those are a whole different animal. They're like in between a regular IPA and a Strong Ale like Arrogant Bastard. Very bitter and strong...heavier than an IPA.

You might be surprised when you get around to trying this.

It doesn't at all fit the description of "very bitter and strong".

QUOTE (Drunk Pirate Robert @ Dec 28 2006, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 14 2006, 03:00 AM)
The Dogfish Head 90-Minute is a Double IPA. Those are a whole different animal. They're like in between a regular IPA and a Strong Ale like Arrogant Bastard. Very bitter and strong...heavier than an IPA.

You might be surprised when you get around to trying this.

It doesn't at all fit the description of "very bitter and strong".

Yes, it wasn't that bitter. Strong, yes, but not all that bitter. I did like it a lot, though. I can take only so much of a double IPA -- I preferred their 60-minute IPA.