"I Care About What Geddy Says" PART II

RUSHHEAD666

First of I want to thank you guys for breaking down the "burp" blurb in "The Camera Eye."

So now I have another question for those who care!

What the heck is Geddy singing about in the EXIT STAGE LEFT version of "La Villa Strangiato?"

I believe it is on the "Danforth and Pape" section of the song!!

Care to share any ideas???

Are the lyrics to "La Villa" written inside the sleeve of "Hemispheres?" I haven't read the inside sleeve in years!!!

S.O.S.

SAVE OUR SONG!

Did you guys know that Danforth Avenue and Pape Street is an intersection in Toronto???

"Buenos Nochas Mein Froinds!"

Earl

Hi there,

I don't know what Geddy had in mind during the ESL Danforth section, but I do have some insight into one or more other versions of the "Danforth & Pape" performances . . .

(from my Rush Oddities site . . . )

"Danforth & Pape" nonsense lyrics for La Villa Strangiato

"Alex, don't bother me now I'm busy" from Black Forrest boot, (thanks "The Letter M" and thanks Kings!)

"Hot Moo Cho-Choo de Mondiale" e molto Strangiato! - from the PeW tour

"Le poon joon joon june" - from the Exit Stage Right bootleg - (thanks "The Letter M")

Oslo Strangiato- from the Hemispheres tour

This IS La Villa Bizzaro? - (thanks "The Letter M")

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 19 2006, 05:18 PM)
First of I want to thank you guys for breaking down the "burp" blurb in "The Camera Eye."

What the heck is Geddy singing about in the EXIT STAGE LEFT version of "La Villa Strangiato?"

Are the lyrics to "La Villa" written inside the sleeve of "Hemispheres?" I haven't read the inside sleeve in years!!!

S.O.S.

SAVE OUR SONG!

Did you guys know that Danforth Avenue and Pape Street is an intersection in Toronto???

Earl

Yeah, I know about the intersection of Danforth and Pape in Toronto. It's in a Greek neighborhood.

There are no lyrics to "La Villa Strangiato" printed in the Hemispheres liner notes, but the extemperaneous "lyrics" that Geddy sings live on ESL are translated right there in your ESL liner notes. The liner notes say:

Patty-cake, patty-cake,

Mother's going to buy you shoes

Father's going to buy you socks

Baby's going to have red cheeks.

One problem. What Geddy is singing sounds nothing like that. How come? Because Geddy is singing in Yiddish:

Patchy patchy kikhelekh

Zaydie v'kayfn shikhelekh

Bubie v'kayfn zekhlekh

A gezunt un (child's name)'s bekhlekh!

It's a children's song. "Zaydie" means grandfather and "Bubie" means grandmother.

Thanks you guys!

You know Rulz, now it is all coming back to me!!

I remember learning years ago that it was a children's song. I had no idea it was sung in Yiddish! No wonder it doesn't make sense!!!

Shame on me for not looking through my ESL booklet! I'm at work right now typing about RUSH! dazed025.gif

Loving it!

Thanks for the refresher course!!

RUSH RULES!!!

Earl

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 19 2006, 05:33 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 19 2006, 05:18 PM)

Are the lyrics to "La Villa" written inside the sleeve of "Hemispheres?"  I haven't read the inside sleeve in years!!!

S.O.S.

SAVE OUR SONG!

Earl

Yeah, I know about the intersection of Danforth and Pape in Toronto. It's in a Greek neighborhood.

There are no lyrics to "La Villa Strangiato" printed in the Hemispheres liner notes, but the extemperaneous "lyrics" that Geddy sings live on ESL are translated right there in your ESL liner notes. The liner notes say:

Patty-cake, patty-cake,

Mother's going to buy you shoes

Father's going to buy you socks

Baby's going to have red cheeks.

One problem. What Geddy is singing sounds nothing like that. How come? Because Geddy is singing in Yiddish:

Patchy patchy kikhelekh

Zaydie v'kayfn shikhelekh

Bubie v'kayfn zekhlekh

A gezunt un (child's name)'s bekhlekh!

It's a children's song. "Zaydie" means grandfather and "Bubie" means grandmother.

spit6ph.gif

I don't know why that stuck me so funny - I think it was the singing in Yiddish bit that did it...

Yeah, I think I need to just go to bed. It's been a looooong day and I'm getting slap-happy.

fing.gif

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Sep 19 2006, 07:08 PM)
Yiddish is a language?

Use wiki mate, here:

Yiddish is a nonterritorial Germanic language spoken throughout the world and written with the Hebrew alphabet. It originated in the Ashkenazi culture that developed from about the 10th century in central and eastern Europe, and spread via emigration to other continents. In the earliest surviving references to it, the language is called לשון־אַשכּנז (loshn-ashkenaz = n. "language of the Ashkenazi") and טײַטש (taytsh, a variant of tiutsch, the contemporary name for the language otherwise spoken in the region, now called Middle High German; compare the modern Deutsch). In common usage, the language is called מאַמע־לשון (mame-loshn = n. "mother tongue"), distinguishing it from biblical Hebrew and Aramaic which are collectively termed לשון־קודש (loshn-koydesh = n. "holy tongue"). The term Yiddish did not become the most frequently used designation in the literature of the language until the 18th century, but for a significant portion of its history it was the primary spoken language of the Ashkenazi Jews.