Led Zeppelin

D-13

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why, but I'm getting back into Led Zeppelin in a big way right now.

I went to the library last night to look for Zeppelin books; Hammer of the Gods was checked out - that'll have to wait - but they did have two others: In the Houses of the Holy: Led Zeppelin and the Power of Rock and When the Levee Breaks: The Making of Led Zeppelin IV. Both appear to be very analytical, but the latter looks very readable; I may have problems with the first one.

And my Led Zeppelin Remasters package is getting more spins these days on the CD player.

1022.gif

OK, now WHY didn't I know about this thread?

My all-time FAVE band!!!!

OK, Rush, Zep, & Heart are the top interchangable three biggrin.gif

...I have been struck by the power & the fury of the Hammer of the Gods!

QUOTE (Rhiannon_of_Rivendell @ Aug 30 2006, 11:38 PM)
I have been struck by the power & the fury of the Hammer of the Gods!

... it'll drive our ship to new lands.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 30 2006, 05:53 AM)
I don't know why, but I'm getting back into Led Zeppelin in a big way right now.

I went to the library last night to look for Zeppelin books; Hammer of the Gods was checked out - that'll have to wait - but they did have two others: In the Houses of the Holy: Led Zeppelin and the Power of Rock and When the Levee Breaks: The Making of Led Zeppelin IV. Both appear to be very analytical, but the latter looks very readable; I may have problems with the first one.

And my Led Zeppelin Remasters package is getting more spins these days on the CD player.

1022.gif

When The Levee Breaks is a good one. I have it.

Never heard of the other one, though.

QUOTE (Maddy @ Aug 31 2006, 08:13 AM)
When The Levee Breaks is a good one. I have it.

Yeah, it's good. Only forty pages left...

ohmy.gif unsure.gif I am ashamed.... blush4.gif

I did not know about MOST of these books!!

time to head to the library...

I remember when HOTG came out, I promised myself I would read it one chapter at a time to make it last. That worked for about 1/3 of the book. I read the rest of the book all in one night. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Rhiannon_of_Rivendell @ Aug 31 2006, 02:35 PM)

There are more still...

Their manager, Richard Cole, also wrote a book, called Stairway to Heaven: Led Zeppelin Uncensored. But this one pretty much mirrors Hammer of the Gods, which was mostly based on Cole quotes anyway!

There's more...

While doing an Amazon search, I came across one called Fallen Angel: The Untold Story of Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin. You probably want to avoid this one, though. It's written by a born-again Christian author who was once a big Zeppelin fan and acid user. He pieces together a bunch of lyrical references to the occult, and concludes that Zeppelin were Satan worshippers who were trying to recruit their fans. It's kinda the old story of how the band (except for Jones) "sold their souls to the devil" in exchange for material success and fame... only this guy uses references from their songs and album artwork to "prove" the theory.

There's more...

Do a search on Amazon, drop-down menu "books," search criteria "Led Zeppelin."

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 31 2006, 04:09 PM)

There are more still... <snip>Fallen Angel: The Untold Story of Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin. You probably want to avoid this one, though. It's written by a born-again Christian author who was once a big Zeppelin fan and acid user... <snip>

unsure.gif I'll make sure to avoid THAT one....

I'm going to have to make a list wink.gif

I need to replace so much stuff, I don't know where to start. CDs, books, DVD's etc.

We need a little Zeppelin Imagery 1022.gif

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/arleen2112/zoso.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/arleen2112/rnr.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/arleen2112/lkoip.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/arleen2112/jhygtfb.jpg

Favorite albums of Zeppelin

1)Presence. Why this album gets a bad rap I will not know the answer.

2)Houses of the Holy. Another Zep classic that I don't get tired of

3)Led Zeppelin III. Zep experiments with acoustic music with great results.

4)Physical Graffiti. Another classic and one of rock's best double albums.

5)Led Zeppelin IV. Not more to be said despite radio's overkill, a masterpiece.

6)Led Zeppelin II. Another masterpiece.

7)In Through the Out Door. Great album despite people complain it's too John Paul Jones heavy as Pagey was abusing heroin, Bonzo was partying so Jonesy and Plant took over.

8)Led Zeppelin I. Great record.

9)Coda. Not bad for outtakes record but version of Coda on the Complete Studio Recordings box set has the songs from two box sets as bonus tracks to make it more complete sounding.

Favorite live album:

1)The Song Remains the Same. The band were playing great and the songs were extended live and it didn't bore you to tears.

2)How the West Was Won. Captured the band at the height of Zep IV mania.

3)BBC Sessions. Very good compilation but was scattershot performances from one year to next.

QUOTE (Rhiannon_of_Rivendell @ Aug 31 2006, 03:13 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 31 2006, 04:09 PM)

There are more still... <snip>Fallen Angel: The Untold Story of Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin. You probably want to avoid this one, though. It's written by a born-again Christian author who was once a big Zeppelin fan and acid user... <snip>

unsure.gif I'll make sure to avoid THAT one....

I'm going to have to make a list wink.gif

I need to replace so much stuff, I don't know where to start. CDs, books, DVD's etc.

Someone gave me that one - it took awhile before I realized it wasn't some kind of parody.

So I parodied it in one of my Zep stories....

~*~

"Hey Mad, what is this?" Robert said as they re-entered the kitchen. He had the book her aunt had sent, looking through it.

"Just a thoughtful little gift from my Aunt Vivian," Maddy said, rolling her eyes.

"Your aunt? Uh-oh--" Jimmy said.

"No way!" Robert burst out laughing.

"What?" Jimmy said, reaching for the book.

"I know something you don't know--" Robert held it over his head, just out of the guitarist's reach.

"Percy, I'll goose you--" Jimmy threatened, making an unsuccessful grab for it.

"Promises, promises," Robert retorted, sticking his tongue out at the dark-haired guitarist.

"Boys--" Maddy said, trying to sound stern and not succeeding.

"Now what are they doing?" Bonzo inquired in an amiable growl, coming in the kitchen and heading straight for the ancient refrigerator. "There better be a beer in here."

"Second shelf," Maddy said.

"Hey Bonzo, guess what? Pagey's the Antichrist!" Robert said gleefully, brandishing the book in the drummer's direction while trying to hold Jimmy off with his other hand.

"I could've told you that a long time ago," Bonzo chuckled.

"Give me that--" Jimmy tried to climb over Robert's back to reach, sending the both of them crashing to the floor.

"Will you two behave?" Maddy said, trying not to laugh as Robert easily wrestled her husband to the floor and sat on him, straddling his back.

"I may be the Antichrist, but I still get no respect--" Jimmy grumbled. "And since when am I the Antichrist, anyway?"

Robert adopted his best scholarly tone to read: "However, careful analysis of this so-called "mystic sign" shows it to be the Symbol of the Beast, the Sign that this supposed man, Jimmy Page, is in fact the Beast, the Antichrist--"

"What?!" Jimmy finally succeeded in grabbing the book away from the golden-haired singer, sitting up. "You see, this is exactly why I don't talk about--" He shook his head.

Maddy looked at him with a beguiling smile. "So can I still call you Jimmy when we're alone?"

I'm done now with When the Levee Breaks: The Making of Led Zeppelin IV. It was a good read.

I'm now reading In the Houses of the Holy: Led Zeppelin and the Power of Rock Music by Susan Fast. This one is too cerebral and analytical for its own good; a very boring read by a professor of musicology. I'm still in the first chapter and... snoozers! Fast is tearing apart "Dazed and Confused" and looking at it from eight different angles. Yawn.

EDIT: I'm still anxiously waiting for Hammer of the Gods to be returned to the library so I can take it out. I used to own a copy - found at a garage sale - but I don't know what I did with it after reading it four years ago. I went to a book sale and a few garage sales this weekend, but didn't get lucky and find a copy. sad.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 3 2006, 02:15 PM)
I'm done now with When the Levee Breaks: The Making of Led Zeppelin IV. It was a good read.

I'm now reading In the Houses of the Holy: Led Zeppelin and the Power of Rock Music by Susan Fast. This one is too cerebral and analytical for its own good; a very boring read by a professor of musicology. I'm still in the first chapter and... snoozers! Fast is tearing apart "Dazed and Confused" and looking at it from eight different angles. Yawn.

EDIT: I'm still anxiously waiting for Hammer of the Gods to be returned to the library so I can take it out. I used to own a copy - found at a garage sale - but I don't know what I did with it after reading it four years ago. I went to a book sale and a few garage sales this weekend, but didn't get lucky and find a copy. sad.gif

Saw a copy of the small paperback edition at a used book store of all of $0.25 yesterday. It wasn't in bad shape either.

Twenty-five cents. Yeah, that's probably what I paid at a garage sale four or five years ago.

Now what did I do with it? tongue.gif

BMG music club has "buy one, get three free" this month, so I ordered four LZ albums. My collection now only lacks:

Led Zeppelin 1

Led Zeppelin 3

In Through the Out Door

Coda

EDIT: But I also own "Remasters," with the biggest songs from those albums.

Edited by GeddyRulz

Well, "Hammer of the Gods" was finally returned to my local library, and guess who checked it out before it was even shelved? wink.gif

Rock and roll! 1022.gif