Guitar player opinion needed

rushfanNlv

Do you hear chorus on the guitar in the intro and general riff of the song? I don't. I hear chorus during the "Living in the limelight" parts and then the ending run but not in the rest of the song. Yet when I hear other bands do limelight, they always have chorus on the guitar throughout the whole song. When I play the song, I'm just running the amps distortion with a booster in front of it. I kick on the chorus and delay and roll back the guitars volume for the cleaner parts but that's it. To my ears it sounds very similar to the ESL recordings. I'll try to post a clip of it.

Am I hearing this wrong? The only chorus I hear on the studio recording in the above mentioned parts of the song is the natural chorus sound of Alex quadrupling himself with multiple tracks.

What is your opinion?

I hear different choruses during that song. There is a tighter one during the intro and verses and a much wider one during the choruses. There seems to be a different one on the solo, or perhaps a combination of two. It could be multiple amps too.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jul 31 2006, 01:18 PM)
I hear different choruses during that song. There is a tighter one during the intro and verses and a much wider one during the choruses. There seems to be a different one on the solo, or perhaps a combination of two. It could be multiple amps too.

I agree that there are different voicings going on in the different sections of the song. It just sounds to me like the intro and verse "chorus sound" we are talking about is the result of the multiple tracks. He used a stereo amp set up so there are two tracks right there. And it sounds like he double tracked the whole thing (again in stereo but on the cleaner channel of the amps) so there is another two tracks for a total of four. If you've ever heard two guitarists play the exact same thing, you know what I'm talking about. After all, that is what a chorus pedal is designed to do: duplicate the sound of multiple guitarists.

It looks like I'll have some free time this week to record the intro both ways and post it to see your reactions. I've got all the same equipment he was using for my recording (less the guitar) so I should be able to get close. I'll record once with the chorus and once without.

There is light chorus throughout the song but I think the intro riff (before the drums come in) is just doubled but no chorus.

Doubling recorded parts does sound a lot like chorus.

When doing the song live I start the song without chorus and kick it in when the drums come in.

Yeah, I just listened to your re-recorded version of limelight, and you really pulled off that solo. You sound closer to the studio version (realizing that just as in the original there are overdubs at the end of the solo where the arpeggios come in under the those high sustaining bends) than any of the live versions I have heard Rush record.

I went ahead and listened to Xanadu as well, and great job on getting Alex's tone down.

I realize this may be like asking McDonald's for the special sauce recipe, but would you consider giving us a breakdown of your setup and effects settings for each song you have recorded? I know you probably put in a lot of work in sorting out the correct tones, so if you want to keep it a secret I understand. But if you're willing to share, I'm sure others would like to hear as well.

Edited by darrenhigh

Wait, so you're all saying that the part during "living in the limelight the universal dream" which goes something like this:

---------0-------0

---4-6-----3---4--

--4-----2-----4---

-6-----2-----4----

4-----0-----2-----

Yeah, I know that's screwed up and not right (I'm not a guitarist), but you know which part I'm talking about. So you're all telling me that part is played on a loop track throughout the entire song?

QUOTE (darrenhigh @ Aug 13 2006, 09:07 AM)
Yeah, I just listened to your re-recorded version of limelight, and you really pulled off that solo. You sound closer to the studio version (realizing that just as in the original there are overdubs at the end of the solo where the arpeggios come in under the those high sustaining bends) than any of the live versions I have heard Rush record.

I went ahead and listened to Xanadu as well, and great job on getting Alex's tone down.

I realize this may be like asking McDonald's for the special sauce recipe, but would you consider giving us a breakdown of your setup and effects settings for each song you have recorded? I know you probably put in a lot of work in sorting out the correct tones, so if you want to keep it a secret I understand. But if you're willing to share, I'm sure others would like to hear as well.

I'll give it a shot but I'm sure the settings on my amp will sound different on another amp.

Limelight:

The clean parts are using a Fender Twin model on the Zentera with a ton of reverb and the bridge/middle pickup position an a Strat. It's also double tracked with a semi dirty guitar sound buried behind it in the mix.

The rest:

100W Marshall model on Hughes & Kettner Zentera

Input sensitivity: Low

Gain: 4.5

Bass: 4.9

Mid: 10.0

Treble: 4.2

Presence: 6.9

Effects: Stereo chorus, Tape Echo, Hall Reverb (chorus is off at the beginning until the bass comes in)

Solo:

Input sensitivity: High

Gain: 9.8

Bass: 6.4

Mid: 10.0

Treble: 7.0

Presence: 6.1

Same effects with the addition of a Tube Screamer

The song was played on a 93 Japanese Fender Strat with a Floyd Rose and a Dimarzio Breed bridge humbucker. The solo is on the bridge pickup with the tone control rolled down to 4 until the part in the middle where the whammy bar dives and it jumps to the high Bb. At that point I open the tone control back to 10 for the rest of the solo. You can almost hear a "wah" sound when I open the tone control.

The key to the solo (other than the timing) is to get that singing sustain with the tone control rolled down and then punch it open at the end.

The final note is just long, loud, sustain and I raised it an octave with the pitch control in my recording software (Audacity)

I'll post Xanadu later.

smile.gif

Edited by _pete_

Thanks for going to all the trouble to help us Alex wannabees out, Pete! I appreciate the details, and I'm able to get a fairly close tone now with a Fender Strat, GNX4 and a Fender Twin. The solo settings and your mentioning the tone rolloff helped alot. I look forward to more from you. Thanks again.