Firefly / Serenity

GeddyRulz

sorry for the old bump...... but I finally got around to watching the show/movie... it was great..

Just a show that came out at the wrong time.... if it had been made 4 or 5 years later...it could still be on TV

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 17 2012, 01:04 PM)
sorry for the old bump...... but I finally got around to watching the show/movie... it was great..

Just a show that came out at the wrong time.... if it had been made 4 or 5 years later...it could still be on TV

The show didn't come out at the wrong time, it was on the wrong station. I know that Joss went with what was probably the best offer for the show, but it never should have been on FOX. The show would've been perfect on the Sci-Fi channel. Of course no matter how successful a show is for them, Sci-Fi always cancels it after four or five seasons because they're a bunch of cheapskates. But the at least the show would've been given a fair shot and would've lasted longer.

I didn't watch the show until well after it was cancelled. When the show aired I don't recall ever seeing any promos for it. I could be wrong on that, but it seems FOX set the show up to fail. I heard more about it after it was cancelled than I did when it was on.

It's a good show with a very original concept. It wasn't the best show ever but the potential was there for it to be one if it had been given more time. Plus, denying us more of Jewel Staite is just unforgivable. I'm more upset about that than anything else.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 17 2012, 09:40 PM)

The show didn't come out at the wrong time, it was on the wrong station. I know that Joss went with what was probably the best offer for the show, but it never should have been on FOX. The show would've been perfect on the Sci-Fi channel. Of course no matter how successful a show is for them, Sci-Fi always cancels it after four or five seasons because they're a bunch of cheapskates. But the at least the show would've been given a fair shot and would've lasted longer.

I didn't watch the show until well after it was cancelled. When the show aired I don't recall ever seeing any promos for it. I could be wrong on that, but it seems FOX set the show up to fail. I heard more about it after it was cancelled than I did when it was on.

It's a good show with a very original concept. It wasn't the best show ever but the potential was there for it to be one if it had been given more time. Plus, denying us more of Jewel Staite is just unforgivable. I'm more upset about that than anything else.

My point was is that (for want of a better term) "nerd culture" and the audience for a show like this has only grown in the last 5-6 years... and that in 2002 I don't think there was an audience for this as there is now....and that goes for all sci-fi/fantasy/horror tv shows..

Look at Comic Con in the early 2000s vs Comic con in the last 5 or so years and it should give you any indication... Look at the scene of the past 6 or so years.... and the popularity of shows like LOST, Fringe, Walking Dead, Doctor Who, Big Bang Theory, the Revival of Futurama, any Vampire based TV show, Game of Thrones...etc These "nerdy" shows are more popular now than they've ever been, and all within the past 6 or so years.... not so much in 2002...and if Firefly had started say in 2006 or 07... I say there's a good chance it would have seen several seasons... perhaps even still be on... just my opinion.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 17 2012, 11:53 PM)

My point was is that (for want of a better term) "nerd culture" and the audience for a show like this has only grown in the last 5-6 years... and that in 2002 I don't think there was an audience for this as there is now....and that goes for all sci-fi/fantasy/horror tv shows..

Look at Comic Con in the early 2000s vs Comic con in the last 5 or so years and it should give you any indication... Look at the scene of the past 6 or so years.... and the popularity of shows like LOST, Fringe, Walking Dead, Doctor Who, Big Bang Theory, the Revival of Futurama, any Vampire based TV show, Game of Thrones...etc These "nerdy" shows are more popular now than they've ever been, and all within the past 6 or so years.... not so much in 2002...and if Firefly had started say in 2006 or 07... I say there's a good chance it would have seen several seasons... perhaps even still be on... just my opinion.

Yeah, you do have a point there. But you forgot to mention the one show that lead to the modern day boom in Sci-Fi shows and that's Battlestar Galactica. It's a Sci-Fi show that was acessable to everyone and it was the most watched show in the history of the Sci-Fi channel when it was on. It no doubt got a lot of people into the genre that otherwise wouldn't have bothered with it. The Sci-Fi channel also has some cool shows on now to like Haven, Warehouse 13, Lost Girl and Eureka, which unfortunately, just finished it's fifth and final season a few months ago.

As for comic-con, I have no idea what they're like since i've never been to one. So I can't speak to how that event has changed through the years.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 18 2012, 09:33 PM)

Yeah, you do have a point there. But you forgot to mention the one show that lead to the modern day boom in Sci-Fi shows and that's Battlestar Galactica. It's a Sci-Fi show that was acessable to everyone and it was the most watched show in the history of the Sci-Fi channel when it was on. It no doubt got a lot of people into the genre that otherwise wouldn't have bothered with it. The Sci-Fi channel also has some cool shows on now to like Haven, Warehouse 13, Lost Girl and Eureka, which unfortunately, just finished it's fifth and final season a few months ago.

As for comic-con, I have no idea what they're like since i've never been to one. So I can't speak to how that event has changed through the years.

I am not saying Fox being a bunch of douchebags had nothing to do with... it almost certainly did..and had Firefly been on a channel like Sci-fi... I think there's a good chance it would have had a stronger run... but what I am also saying is that a show like Firefly stands a better chance on network TV nowadays than it did back then.....

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 18 2012, 11:29 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 18 2012, 09:33 PM)

I am not saying Fox being a bunch of douchebags had nothing to do with... it almost certainly did..and had Firefly been on a channel like Sci-fi... I think there's a good chance it would have had a stronger run... but what I am also saying is that a show like Firefly stands a better chance on network TV nowadays than it did back then.....

I agree, Firefly would've had a much better chance to make it if the show had come out today. But Firefly played a very important role in the Sci-Fi genre. Just like Battlestar Galactica they added the human element into the genre, rather than using aliens and other various creatures in the storylines. I don't have a problem with using aleins, but there's a lot of Sci-Fi shows that focus more on the human side of things now and Firefly was a big influence in that.

It didn't last long but maybe it's purpose was to help push the Sci-Fi genre into a new direction because the influence it had can be seen a lot today.