Pulse Pro 5-Piece Drum Set

I'm a guitar player but i've really been wanting to get into drumming lately, and a friend of mine (well more of an acquaintance really) has a Pulse Pro 5-Piece that he never plays. i'm pretty sure that's what it is anyway, he said the name Pulse and said it has 5 pieces and was originally bought for about 300 dollars and i just looked it up on musiciasfriend so i'm guessin this is it.

Pulse Pro 5-Piece on Musician's Friend

he said he would sell this drum set to me for $150. i'm 99% sure i'm gonna buy it, even if it's bad, cuz that's a great deal on any drum set really, but i thought just for the hell of it i'd ask your guys's opinions on it. has anyone played this drum set? is it a good one for a beginner to start with? and what are some things i should watch out for? people on the site are saying heads break easily, and also something about the cymbals. how much would it cost to replace the heads and whatever the cymbal stuff is should it all fail on me sometime soon?

That kit is fine for someone who is wanting to learn. If you don't beat the crap out if it, you won't have to worry about replacing heads & cymbals.

Before you buy, make sure the shells are round, and the bearing edges (angled part of the shell that makes contact with the drum head) are in good shape.

Watch any kit that is around 150-300- are better off going right away to an intermediate kit or you will be replacing parts as the kid gets better or he/she will want to upgrade.

Pacific is a good choice ( I have ) but the hardware is a little complex - ei: the floor tom mount to the cybal stands-

ah, sorry guys, the guy already brought the set over, and i plan on paying him in a couple weeks.

i'm happy with it, definitely a good beginner set. the drums ring out and probably need tuned but i can figure out how to fix that. and i don't mind replacing parts later on, it makes me proud to put my heard earned money into something i really enjoy.

QUOTE (YYZ Working Man @ Jul 24 2006, 09:56 AM)
Pacific is a good choice ( I have ) but the hardware is a little complex - ei: the floor tom mount to the cybal stands-

Yes, but that's only pertaining to the model of the kit. Pacific does offer kits with legged floor toms.