'Meg' is coming

Jack Aubrey

Dunno if anyone has read it (I haven't) but Steve Alten's bestseller Meg, which is about a giant prehistoric shark, Carcharadon Megalodon, showing up and eating people, is being made into a movie. CHUD has posted the following concept art:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/megishungry.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/94280249.jpg

One little nitpick: a shark that massive wouldn't bother with human prey, it would feed on whales. Humans would be way too small to sustain a fish that of that size. That's why sharks don't eat their attendant pilot fish. Anyway, if the movie kicks ass, I'll be more than willing to suspend disbelief. The movie is slated to be released this summer, but there has been talk of delays. I'll keep you posted.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

The "guppy" comment reminds me of that old Foster's commercial that starts with the voice-over saying "How to speak Australian," then showing a great white swimming in the ocean, with the accompanying voice-over saying "guppy,", then the can of Fosters is shown, with the voice-over saying "beer."

Whoa, cool...love the pic of the shark in a wave. I read the book...the shark is supposed to be the size of a city bus...hard to imagine until it's put into images.

"EVERYONE...OUT OF THE WATER!!!" ph34r.gif

There was another megalodon-themed movie a few years ago (Shark Attack III: Megalodon) that was terrible.

Without top-notch effects, a giant shark just doesn't come across very well.

Anyone who has read Jaws by Peter Benchley will recall that the shark in the book was a megalodon rather than a great white.

Thankfully, these bastards have been extinct for about a million years (although some finds are claimed to be younger than this.)

Fossilized whales are sometimes found with megalodon teeth embedded in them. These guys definitely specialized in hunting whales. (That would be a pretty spectacular scene. Imagine a boatload of whale watchers suddenly see a meg take out a humpback whale.)

QUOTE (Nunavuter @ May 15 2006, 09:45 PM)
There was another megalodon-themed movie a few years ago (Shark Attack III: Megalodon) that was terrible.

Without top-notch effects, a giant shark just doesn't come across very well.

Anyone who has read Jaws by Peter Benchley will recall that the shark in the book was a megalodon rather than a great white.

Thankfully, these bastards have been extinct for about a million years (although some finds are claimed to be younger than this.)

Fossilized whales are sometimes found with megalodon teeth embedded in them. These guys definitely specialized in hunting whales. (That would be a pretty spectacular scene. Imagine a boatload of whale watchers suddenly see a meg take out a humpback whale.)

ive never see nthe shark attack movies..but they look so poor and cheap...they look like ripoffs of jaws pretty much.. confused13.gif