• yes
    • pink floyd
    • e.l.p.
    • genesis
    • moody blues
    • king krimson
    • gentle giant
    • dixie dregs

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 14 2006, 05:47 PM)
to comment on what several people said:

renaissance should rightfully be in that list. there are several hundred 70's prog rock bands of note, but i tried to focus it on the more well known ones or who i thought would stand the remotest chance in a vote providing people were even familiar with all of those groups. renaissance have enough of a following to qualify. incidentally, i'm not familiar with every group i listed, but most of them. the others i listed because i know they have at least a fair bit of popularity in the prog music world.

i agree that styx shouldn't be listed, but i disagree about genesis and pink floyd.

in the 70's prog rock music world, it doesn't get any bigger than yes and genesis, and they're considered to be the essence and pinnacle of what prog rock is. i've read hundreds of reviews over the years of prog albums where groups are constantly being compared to genesis and/or yes. they are definitively quintessential prog.

pink floyd is a little more amorphous perhaps, but they undoubtedly belong in the prog rock category, even if it's in a slightly more tangential way than some of the more stunningly obvious groups. there are many factors that determine the genre of 70's prog, and a group really only needs at least one of those factors (though the more the better) to be considered prog.

to condense it, i would say that prog groups are generally influenced by rock, jazz and classical music, and often have a strong focus on keyboards, but that's not essential. prog rock groups often have longer songs, often suites and tend towards complex and involved music, sometimes with instruments a little more unusual for rock like flute, violin, saxaphone, etc. also, they can often have very intellectual, existential and/or science-fiction related themes. albums like animals and wish you were here in particular have a lot of these factors in abundance, so while they might not be the stereotypical prog that yes, genesis, elp, jethro tull and king crimson are, they definitely fit without much of a stretch. ironically, i consider pink floyd to be the ultimate psychedelic group, referring to their period before they got more progressive.

anyway, goob the prog snob signing out... tongue.gif

Styx's first eight albums were proggish in sound, especially the 1975-78 albums Equinox, Crystal Ball and so forth.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ May 14 2006, 06:58 PM)

renaissance should rightfully be in that list.  there are several hundred 70's prog rock bands of note, but i tried to focus it on the more well known ones or who i thought would stand the remotest chance in a vote providing people were even familiar with all of those groups.  renaissance have enough of a following to qualify.  incidentally, i'm not familiar with every group i listed, but most of them.  the others i listed because i know they have at least a fair bit of popularity in the prog music world.

i agree that styx shouldn't be listed, but i disagree about genesis and pink floyd.

in the 70's prog rock music world, it doesn't get any bigger than yes and genesis, and they're considered to be the essence and pinnacle of what prog rock is.  i've read hundreds of reviews over the years of prog albums where groups are constantly being compared to genesis and/or yes.  they are definitively quintessential prog.

pink floyd is a little more amorphous perhaps, but they undoubtedly belong in the prog rock category, even if it's in a slightly more tangential way than some of the more stunningly obvious groups.  there are many factors that determine the genre of 70's prog, and a group really only needs at least one of those factors (though the more the better) to be considered prog. 

to condense it, i would say that prog groups are generally influenced by rock, jazz and classical music, and often have a strong focus on keyboards, but that's not essential.  prog rock groups often have longer songs, often suites and tend towards complex and involved music, sometimes with instruments a little more unusual for rock like flute, violin, saxaphone, etc.  also, they can often have very intellectual, existential and/or science-fiction related themes.  albums like animals and wish you were here in particular have a lot of these factors in abundance, so while they might not be the stereotypical prog that yes, genesis, elp, jethro tull and king crimson are, they definitely fit without much of a stretch.  ironically, i consider pink floyd to be the ultimate psychedelic group, referring to their period before they got more progressive.

Styx's first eight albums were proggish in sound, especially the 1975-78 albums Equinox, Crystal Ball and so forth.

thank you floyd fanatic .

QUOTE (tick @ May 14 2006, 03:00 PM)

renaissance should rightfully be in that list.  there are several hundred 70's prog rock bands of note, but i tried to focus it on the more well known ones or who i thought would stand the remotest chance in a vote providing people were even familiar with all of those groups.  renaissance have enough of a following to qualify.  incidentally, i'm not familiar with every group i listed, but most of them.  the others i listed because i know they have at least a fair bit of popularity in the prog music world.

in the 70's prog rock music world, it doesn't get any bigger than yes and genesis, and they're considered to be the essence and pinnacle of what prog rock is.  i've read hundreds of reviews over the years of prog albums where groups are constantly being compared to genesis and/or yes.  they are definitively quintessential prog.

pink floyd is a little more amorphous perhaps, but they undoubtedly belong in the prog rock category, even if it's in a slightly more tangential way than some of the more stunningly obvious groups.  there are many factors that determine the genre of 70's prog, and a group really only needs at least one of those factors (though the more the better) to be considered prog. 

to condense it, i would say that prog groups are generally influenced by rock, jazz and classical music, and often have a strong focus on keyboards, but that's not essential.  prog rock groups often have longer songs, often suites and tend towards complex and involved music, sometimes with instruments a little more unusual for rock like flute, violin, saxaphone, etc.  also, they can often have very intellectual, existential and/or science-fiction related themes.  albums like animals and wish you were here in particular have a lot of these factors in abundance, so while they might not be the stereotypical prog that yes, genesis, elp, jethro tull and king crimson are, they definitely fit without much of a stretch.  ironically, i consider pink floyd to be the ultimate psychedelic group, referring to their period before they got more progressive.

to be honest, i am only marginally aware of styx's work, mostly their most popular material. i've just never really heard them mentioned in the prog music community. out of curiosity, i looked them on www.progarchives.com (a pretty darn comprehensive site) and they said this about styx:

STYX is one of those bands that are always mentioned with some fear and shame by the progressive fan because they always played in the border that divides progressive rock from plain POP, I believe the best way to describe them is as Prog Related (understanding this description as the simplest and more commercial form of Progressive Rock) blended with AOR...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 14 2006, 07:04 PM)

to be honest, i am only marginally aware of styx's work, mostly their most popular material. i've just never really heard them mentioned in the prog music community. out of curiosity, i looked them on www.progarchives.com (a pretty darn comprehensive site) and they said this about styx:

STYX is one of those bands that are always mentioned with some fear and shame by the progressive fan because they always played in the border that divides progressive rock from plain POP, I believe the best way to describe them is as Prog Related (understanding this description as the simplest and more commercial form of Progressive Rock) blended with AOR...

Sounds like Genesis as well eh.gif

QUOTE (tick @ May 14 2006, 02:58 PM)
OK GREAT  , ILL NEVER START ANOTHER F**KING POLL AGAIN ! rage.gif

yeah right. cool.gif

i'm not trying to discourage you, it's just that you happened upon a genre i've studied extensively and know a good bit about. yes.gif

had you started a poll about late 60's/early 70's psychedelic music, a subject i know even more about than 70's progressive rock, i would have been even more obnoxious. wink.gif comp26.gif

unsure.gif

bolt.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 14 2006, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ May 14 2006, 02:58 PM)
OK GREAT  , ILL NEVER START ANOTHER F**KING POLL AGAIN ! rage.gif

yeah right. cool.gif

i'm not trying to discourage you, it's just that you happened upon a genre i've studied extensively and know a good bit about. yes.gif

had you started a poll about late 60's/early 70's psychedelic music, a subject i know even more about than 70's progressive rock, i would have been even more obnoxious. wink.gif comp26.gif

unsure.gif

bolt.gif

you be obnoxious ? no . doh.gif

QUOTE (tick @ May 14 2006, 06:00 PM)

Not a problem. Styx broke away from prog in 1979 for their Cornerstone album which was their first album not to have any prog elements as the songs went more pop as prog was considered dead by 1978/79 as New Wave/Punk and Hard Rock were becoming more dominant..

Many classic art moments in the classic Styx 1972-78 era though like Suite Madame Blue, Castle Walls, Man in the Wilderness, Lords of the Ring, Queen of Spades, Ballerina, Put Me On as examples of proggish elements be it tempo changes, the classical type flourishes and so on.

For me, Yes all the way. But Floyd is right up there with them, no doubt!

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 14 2006, 03:06 PM)

Perhaps you're thinking of 80's Genesis and beyond? confused13.gif

In the Peter Gabriel era, it was strictly hardcore progressive music, and even for a couple of albums after that before they moved more and more into pop territory. By the early 80's, they were pure pop. When prog fans refer to Genesis music, they're generally referring to the period from Tresspass (1970) through Wind And Wuthering (1977).

It's a VERY different band from the era of Abacab/Invisible Touch, etc.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 15 2006, 02:31 PM)

In the Peter Gabriel era, it was strictly hardcore progressive music, and even for a couple of albums after that before they moved more and more into pop territory. By the early 80's, they were pure pop. When prog fans refer to Genesis music, they're generally referring to the period from Tresspass (1970) through Wind And Wuthering (1977).

Genesis' last album of prog was Duke in a way. The Duke Suite(Behind the Lines, Duchess, Guide Vocal, Turn it On Again, Duke's Travels and Duke's End) was supposed to be a side long work but the band decided against the idea after awhile. I saw the Duke Suite live on youtube, it was awesome. For many 1980/81 was the last gap of prog in the US.

Pink Floyd's The Wall was #1 for 15 weeks in 1980. Another great prog band was Jethro Tull. Thick as a Brick, Aqualung, War Child are great albums. Also, Tull Bursting Out is one of the greatest live albums ever.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ May 15 2006, 02:21 PM)
Genesis' last album of prog was Duke in a way. The For many 1980/81 was the last gap of prog in the US.
Pink Floyd's The Wall was #1 for 15 weeks in 1980.

The classic era of prog was really just about completely dead by 1980, with most of the acknowledged classics in the prog music world being in the early to mid-70's. Pink Floyd hung on longer than most with prog, and Rush were truly late bloomers in the prog world as by 1976 (2112) it was fast on the way out and by 1977/1978 it was in major decline. 1979/1980 were pretty much the last gasps. Of course there is prog in the 80's, 90's and today, but it's often referred to as neo-prog or now there's progressive metal, and it tends to differ from the more vintage period, just as today's psych music is drastically different in feel to the late 60's stuff. To me the golden age of prog was 1969-1975 or so, with some great albums lingering into the last half of the 70's.

Interestingly, you said "in the US" above, but honestly, Americans sucked royally at prog. If you look at that list I posted earlier of about 40-45 of the most well-known progressive bands in the world in the 70's, not a single one is American, except Kansas. The Europeans did it better than anyone, with most of the great groups coming from the UK, Italy, France and Germany.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 15 2006, 06:14 PM)
QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ May 15 2006, 02:21 PM)
Genesis' last album of prog was Duke in a way. The For many 1980/81 was the last gap of prog in the US.
Pink Floyd's The Wall was #1 for 15 weeks in 1980.

The classic era of prog was really just about completely dead by 1980, with most of the acknowledged classics in the prog music world being in the early to mid-70's. Pink Floyd hung on longer than most with prog, and Rush were truly late bloomers in the prog world as by 1976 (2112) it was fast on the way out and by 1977/1978 it was in major decline. 1979/1980 were pretty much the last gasps. Of course there is prog in the 80's, 90's and today, but it's often referred to as neo-prog or now there's progressive metal, and it tends to differ from the more vintage period, just as today's psych music is drastically different in feel to the late 60's stuff. To me the golden age of prog was 1969-1975 or so, with some great albums lingering into the last half of the 70's.

Interestingly, you said "in the US" above, but honestly, Americans sucked royally at prog. If you look at that list I posted earlier of about 40-45 of the most well-known progressive bands in the world in the 70's, not a single one is American, except Kansas. The Europeans did it better than anyone, with most of the great groups coming from the UK, Italy, France and Germany.

America continued to embrace prog I mean. It was written off in Europe due to punk. Punk was more of an underground thing in the US than in the UK. Punk didn't break the US market until 1982 as prog or corporate rock was what ruled the rock and roll mainstream. I compare the hair metal movement to prog and grunge was what punk was and 1992 was America's big punk breakout like it was in the UK in 1976/77.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 15 2006, 03:31 PM)

That is what I am saying....both early Styx and Genesis were prog rock but later on turn into pop bands...

Am I the lone voter of Styx among the prog fans here? sad.gif

Well, it was a tough choice between Styx and the admittedly more progressive, but less accessible Pink Floyd. Styx songs fit nicely and bite-sizedly onto my iPod. Pink Floyd I tend to have to apply fade effects to.

Archived