New Album of interest to Rush Fans

LerxstLady

Edwin, who sang lead vocals on Victor for Alex is releasing his third solo album. Here's a nifty little tidbit from Canoe -- Jam!

During an exclusive listening session at producer Jeff Dalziel's Diesel Music Studio in Toronto, he and Edwin previewed seven of the 12 new songs from "Try This At Home" -- "Right Here;" the chorus-heavy "That's A Lie;" cool percussive rocker "Never Over;" the ethereal "Light Reflects;" the positive balladic anthem "Head Up;" rockier groove "Flying;" and heavenly piano ballad "Eyes Of A Child." (An acoustic version of his 1999 top 40 hit "Alive" will also be included).

"There's another four that are heavier," Edwin says of some songs not ready for outside ears just yet. Ian Thornley guests on the "heaviest track" called "Take Anything" and Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson is on several tracks, including "Never Over" which should be a single.

[...snip...]

Co-writing with numerous people -- Dalziel, Togas, Ruben Huizenga, David Martin, and Justin Gray -- Edwin then did a lot of preproduction in his rehearsal space before tracking the album. Drums were done at Reaction Studios; guitar and bass at Alex Lifeson's private studio Lerxst; and all the vocals and overdubs were done at Diesel.

[...snip...]

Edwin and Lifeson go back 10 years. The Rush guitarist invited Edwin to sing on his 1996 solo project, "Victor," and that same year played on "Like A Girl" from I Mother Earth's second album, "Scenery And Fish."

"He's only done me favors. I don't think I've done him any," Edwin laughs.

"He was kind enough to let us work at his studio for a week and let us use everything we wanted -- his guitars, his amps, whatever we wanted. He was great about it and he also did us the favor of coming in and doing some cameo guitar playing on a few songs. We ran the songs and he played what he felt, so we used his guitar stylings throughout the record."

The album is due to be released sometime on August 15th

Archived