Big Love (HBO)

Midway Hawker

Anybody been watching this? It comes on right after the Sapranos on Sunday nights. I find it quite entertaining.

If you haven't heard about it, it's about a Poligimist family in Utah living in modern times. It stars Bill Paxon. He has 3 wives, owns 3 houses right next to each other. It's a bit different, but I'm hooked.

I've watched a couple of eps. It's different, you're right. I haven't decided if I like it, really. I did laugh out loud at one of the scenes..."It's MY night! I switched with Margie. Didn't you get my Post-It?" rofl3.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 11 2006, 02:27 PM)
I've watched a couple of eps. It's different, you're right. I haven't decided if I like it, really. I did laugh out loud at one of the scenes..."It's MY night! I switched with Margie. Didn't you get my Post-It?" rofl3.gif

yeah, that was funny.. This show is living proof that 1 wife is more than enough for any man! laugh.gif (no offense ladies)

yeah i watch this too.....like GG, i'm not sure how much i like this show yet..... i may have to watch it for a few more episodes to see what happens....

bumper.gif

This show is awesome.. If you're not watching you should be... biggrin.gif

This past week was the best episode yet.. The Sapranos is starting to bore me.. Big Love is the next "big" thing..

I picked this up on dvd a few days ago and haven't been able to put it down. I was skeptical like most, but couldn't ignore all the 9's and 10's on metacritic.com

I have to agree with Midway Hawker - Big Love is really good. You look at the premise (polygamy) and you think, no way they can make it work. But they knock it out of the park every episode imho, with their exploration of basic human interactions and emotions in some interesting new ways.

I'm half way through and can't wait to finish the series. I think some of you out there would enjoy it as well.

Cheers,

Schro

what ever happened to this show?

am i missing a new season here? is it coming back?

confused13.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 14 2007, 12:57 PM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ May 14 2007, 12:45 PM)
what ever happened to this show?
am i missing a new season here?  is it coming back?

confused13.gif

It's been moved to Monday nites on HBO and new season starts June 11th

http://www.hbo.com/biglove/

ahhhhh...

SWEET!!!

thanks test!

QUOTE (Necromancer @ May 26 2007, 09:19 PM)
We have HBO On Demand, so we're watching the entire first season.  We're three deep as of today.  We should be done with the first season by the end of the three day holiday.  laugh.gif 

We're really liking it. 

CeeJ has me tonight.  laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Like I said a very interesting show. You'd think one wife was enuff but 3??? wacko.gif not to mention all the kiddies!

Just finished 7th episode.

For those who don't know Roman's young wife Rhonda is the girl who plays Samara in the first Ring movie ohmy.gif

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

Okay, I have finally started watching this series. Two episodes into it, and I'm not so sure I like it either. Well, actually, I've enjoyed it so far. It's just that it's left me feeling a little bit nauseous. 062802puke_prv.gif

As a woman, it hits a lot of nerves. Watching these three women in this relationship suppress their feelings in the name of the family bothers me. Try as he might to please them all (physically and emotionally), the women are left wanting and he's left exhausted. (He gets absolutely NO sympathy from me here, mind you).

I do appreciate the relationship the three women offer each other and their very distinctive personalities. I guess I just don't understand why he felt the need to add additional wives to his family just because his first wife was no longer able to bear children, since they apparantly had several children at that time. And the first wife "Boss Lady" is definitely the one whom he is most compatible with. The other two are more like additional children he has to deal with.

Okay. This is the part that bothers me. The one intelligent, beautiful, strong, independent, loving wife was not enough for him why? Maybe this is explained more farther into the series, but I have to say it's got me a little bit riled up....and in just a bit of a man-hating mood....lol.

You men are dogs!! angry.gif

Well, I suppose getting a strong reaction, positive or negative, is what they were aiming for. It is good entertainment, so I would recommend it. I just don't recommend to any of you guys out there that you say: Honey, do you think maybe we might consider.....(you won't get much farther than that, trust me). doh.gif rage.gif

At least I have something to watch until the next season of Lost comes out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Celine

QUOTE (Celine @ Jun 23 2007, 07:13 PM)
Okay, I have finally started watching this series. Two episodes into it, and I'm not so sure I like it either. Well, actually, I've enjoyed it so far. It's just that it's left me feeling a little bit nauseous. 062802puke_prv.gif

As a woman, it hits a lot of nerves. Watching these three women in this relationship suppress their feelings in the name of the family bothers me. Try as he might to please them all (physically and emotionally), the women are left wanting and he's left exhausted. (He gets absolutely NO sympathy from me here, mind you).

I do appreciate the relationship the three women offer each other and their very distinctive personalities. I guess I just don't understand why he felt the need to add additional wives to his family just because his first wife was no longer able to bear children, since they apparantly had several children at that time. And the first wife "Boss Lady" is definitely the one whom he is most compatible with. The other two are more like additional children he has to deal with.

Okay. This is the part that bothers me. The one intelligent, beautiful, strong, independent, loving wife was not enough for him why? Maybe this is explained more farther into the series, but I have to say it's got me a little bit riled up....and in just a bit of a man-hating mood....lol.

You men are dogs!! angry.gif

Well, I suppose getting a strong reaction, positive or negative, is what they were aiming for. It is good entertainment, so I would recommend it. I just don't recommend to any of you guys out there that you say: Honey, do you think maybe we might consider.....(you won't get much farther than that, trust me). doh.gif rage.gif

At least I have something to watch until the next season of Lost comes out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Celine

It's not that he is doing it for personal or selfish reasons but he is doing it for religious reasons. The Mormon religion he is part of requires men to have multiple wives. Before polygamy was illegal it was preached that monogamy was "evil."

It's crazy stuff IMO so I don't condone it at all. wacko.gif

that is what the show is about...how the wives handle all of this and how Bill handles the pressure of staying within his beliefs wrong as it may be to the rest of us....

Thanks for your response, Test. It's just a concept that's so difficult to wrap one's mind around. Like I said, I am only two episodes into the first season and will have to wait for the rest of the disks to come in to see more.

It just seems like the religion he is trying to follow (poor fellow) is the same religion that caused his dad to dump him on the streets at the age of 14, kick him out of the commune to save the young women for the old men. He certainly doesn't condone his father's behavior (hates him, in fact), but yet chooses to follow this religion.

And here I left the Catholic Church because it doesn't believe in birth control?

It is crazy stuff, in this day and age of independent women, thank God.

But you have to admit most guys wouldn't mind having an extra wife or two now and then. Let's just hope they all are on the same cycle and he gets reamed out in triplicate one week out of the month...lol. Ahhh, now I'm starting to feel better about the whole thing. smile.gif

Cel

haha....you are right. Most guys wouldn't want three wives...they'd want 1 wife and 2 girlfriends....lol....or, better yet, 3 girlfriends!!

You know, this is not a concept I can't relate a bit to. Being in the dating scene is tough. You might find a guy who is really nice and treats you like a queen, but doesn't share any common interests with you. (Okay, yes, I'm speaking for myself here...lol).

Like, say, you have a passion for music and movies as just a for instance. But he has introduced you to other really cool things, like camping and canoeing.

Camping and canoeing are fun, but when you find out that the local symphony is putting on a night of strictly Led Zeppelin music with an incredible vocalist and get all excited about going to this concert, you don't want to hear: Led Zeppelin? Who's he? And does he sing country music? (sigh)

This would be the perfect opportunity to bring in boyfriend number two...lol. I think I might be on to something here.

But I'm rambling....sorry.

Cel

I've only seen the first episode of the new season so far, I need to catch up!!

I just love this show. The plot is so foreign to modern day life, and that is what makes it so interesting to me, to see how they all interact with each other.. The 3 wives at each others throats, then at the end of the day it's: ah, we all love each other... Crazy show, but I love it.

What makes the show even move interesting is that it's a fictional show based on true things. Rare as it is today, it is still going on in Southern Utah. Remember about a year ago that story of the guy who was arrested for running a polygamist camp in Utah? I don't have the story in front of me, but it is proof that this life style is still secretly going on.

QUOTE (Midway Hawker @ Jun 27 2007, 01:23 AM)
I've only seen the first episode of the new season so far, I need to catch up!!

I just love this show.  The plot is so foreign to modern day life, and that is what makes it so interesting to me, to see how they all interact with each other..  The 3 wives at each others throats, then at the end of the day it's:  ah, we all love each other...  Crazy show, but I love it.

What makes the show even move interesting is that it's a fictional show based on true things.  Rare as it is today, it is still going on in Southern Utah.  Remember about a year ago that story of the guy who was arrested for running a polygamist camp in Utah?  I don't have the story in front of me, but it is proof that this life style is still secretly going on.

This past Monday night was just the 3rd show so you're not too far behind....

I love the show for the same reasons trink39.gif Especially the whole battle Bill has with Roman and the Church.

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

QUOTE (Midway Hawker @ Jul 3 2007, 02:53 AM)
Any one catch this tonight? I missed the past two weeks.... I'll catch up soon...

GREAT SHOW!!!!

trink39.gif

i started watching it last night, but i fell alseep...

i barely remember anything about it.. wacko.gif

guess i'll have to watch it again! laugh.gif

I love this show......Ive been keeping up with it since the first season

cool.gif

Im so happy that there is now a season 2

PS if you go to channel 1 on your TV you can watch the episodes you missed by clicking on HBO on demand and then HBO series and then Big Love of course

We just started watching this show last night. Well, ok, we were renting Dexter, but got stuck in the middle of Year 3 when the next disc has a "very long wait" listed in the queue on Netflix. angry.gif

Anway, got the first disc which has two episodes. We saw the first one ,and while we both agreed it was amazingly well done, weren't sure if we wanted to continue. Basically, it just felt like such a depressing situation where no one was truly happy. After a day of thinking about it we watched the second episode. We'll likely stay with it as it is very enjoyable and interesting, and we do want to see what happens.