Im getting a new guitar amp!!!

defrushfan01

Im looking around for a half stack, that has an all Tube Head. i was looking at the B-52 AT-100, but it really turned me off with a PRS, and a Shector, im gonna play the JSX by peavey, which i think i will like. but if anybody has any imput let me know. oh yeah, no marshell's please, i cant stand their tone!! buy anyways, just give me some ideas of what to look for.

Peace,

Justin

guitarplayer magazine just reviewed 4 half-stacks and liked the B-52 the best.

(the issue with Alex on the cover)

1. B-52 AT-100

2. Custom Audio OD100

3. Peavey Penta

4. VHT Deliverence

But you gotta make sure you take the time to fiind the right settings with these things, imo. You don't like Marshall or B-52??

This is a rather open ended question. The statement about not wanting a Marshall muddies the situation as well. What type of sound are you going for? What kind of gigs will you be playing (what size rooms/venues)? How much do you want to spend?

There are a lot of amp manufacturers that make great sounding gear. The only real way to tell what you like is to go to your local stores and plug in.

My roommate has a bunch of tube amps with a variety of tonal ranges; Marshalls, Vox, THD. I have Fenders myself. I have heard a few boutique amps that I really like, Matchless and THD among them. A co-worker of mine swears by all of the Line 6 stuff (not really tube, but their modeling is quite impressive). The B-52 seems like a budget Hughes-Kettner wannabe. Another friend of mine really likes Boogies. It all really depends on taste.

I am opposed to 4 x 12 cabs in general unless you have a roadie and play stadiums. You can find combos equivalent to stack heads with similar power but much less cumbersome to move around. Even in larger venues you will have more control over your sound with a combo. Plus with more powerful heads you will be hard pressed to really drive the tubes for a good tone, which is a problem my roommate has with his Marshalls. He has to use a power soak to drive the tubes, and it still doesn't quite sound the same as running at the optimum volume, but it's too loud for a medium sized room.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 20 2006, 10:34 PM)
What are you basing your Marshall comment on? Hearing them on albums, or new ones you've tried in the store?

He knows you use them!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Mar 21 2006, 01:48 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 20 2006, 10:34 PM)
What are you basing your Marshall comment on? Hearing them on albums, or new ones you've tried in the store?

He knows you use them!

tongue.gif

Curses! Foiled Again! doh.gif

laugh.gif

See my main gripe with the B-52 At-100 is that when i was at Guitar Center I was talking to the one manager about it, and he gave me a cable and told me to plug in, so i did, and he also said turn it up as loud as you want (cause there was no one in the store) so about 5 seconds after i did that, he came over and told me to turn down. Meanwhile I was gonna go back a few days later and buy it!! but my guitar teacher Nick has the Peavey JSX, and said he loves it, so im gonna play that, but back to the B-52 the tone it gave off when i was playing a PRS was HORID!!! it sounded so Tinny and hollow, but when i pluged a jackson or a Gibson into it, it sounded great, so im just really afraid if i get the B-52 it will sound like $hit with my guitars, so i really need to go down there and play through it with my guitars.

But ultimately im looking for a amp to last me like 15+years, adn something not too cheep. so yeah, thats my stand.