Talking about olympics and hockey

D-13

Should NHL players be able to play in the Olympic games?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should NHL players be able to play in the Olympic games?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

This is much different than say for example Basketball in the olympics where 90% of the players are american - In hockey it is so diverse and even that it is a fair competition - Just look at the last 4 olympics including this one - If the czechs don't win it will be four different teams that have one gold - Not like russia winning from the 50's on thru the 80's -

If there were not pro players nobody in north america would care about any other team but the u.s. or canada - At least now with both north american teams eliminated there are other teams that we can relate to because we know the players -

That is an excellent point...I've always believed the best athletes should be representing their countries regardless if they are pro or athlete....

Another big difference with basketball is the NBA season is not interrupted by he Summer Games....Not saying it's an excuse why Canada lost or how poorly they've played but you've got to admit some players had trouble adjusting to the change in the way the game is played between the new NHL and the international rules... I swear I was watching the NHL circa 2003-4 in some of those games this past week....Having said that it's still not an excuse for the way Canada played because the other players for the other countries had to adjust as well...Then again most of these European players were playing by those rules last year during the lockout...

I'm wondering if it was too early for the NHL players to participate considering the timing of the lock out and everything...

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Feb 22 2006, 08:50 PM)
This is much different than say for example Basketball in the olympics where 90% of the players are american - In hockey it is so diverse and even that it is a fair competition - Just look at the last 4 olympics including this one - If the czechs don't win it will be four different teams that have one gold - Not like russia winning from the 50's on thru the 80's -
If there were not pro players nobody in north america would care about any other team but the u.s. or canada - At least now with both north american teams eliminated there are other teams that we can relate to because we know the players -

Yes, both north american teams are already out (surprisingly for me, one of them is Canada ohmy.gif ), but in a sense that says what NHL is all about. With no Europeans it would not mean much. So, I don't exactly know what was meant by putting the subject question "Should...?" With this in mind, the Olympic Games without players from such a brilliant league would certainly lose most of the thrill and beauty yes.gif

I think basketball is a different kettle of fish.

Anyway, everyone knows well that the medicine of these days isn't perfect in detecting dope, which, aside from biased judging, also makes the Games quite an unfair competition.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Feb 23 2006, 02:15 AM)
yes.gif Why not? confused13.gif

The Olympics is (or at least WAS) supposed to be for amateurs. Its only recently that they seem to have relaxed this rule for whatever reason.

The point I see is that if you only have amateurs taking part, would we have a strong competition (and indeed an interesting one)?

QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 22 2006, 11:44 PM)
So, I don't exactly know what was meant by putting the subject question "Should...?"

Didn't you read my post? Everyone wants to open this debate right back up. I just want people's opinions...

Hahaha! Sorry, of course I know the meaning of your question, but my point is that I thought the question should not even be a "yes/no" one and that the only reasonable answer for it would be "yes".

However, judging by the posts and results to date, it looks like I was wrong...

And of course I read your post! trink36.gif

QUOTE (frouse @ Feb 23 2006, 10:51 AM)
Hahaha! Sorry, of course I know the meaning of your question, but my point is that I thought the question should not even be a "yes/no" one and that the only reasonable answer for it would be "yes".
However, judging by the posts and results to date, it looks like I was wrong...
And of course I read your post! trink36.gif

ok cool smile.gif trink39.gif

Archived