The "Waltz"?

Jaminbenb

Ok, Finally got through the Neil DVD last night (first decent chance with no wife around etc.)

Ok, the WALTZ? boom chick chick, boom chick chick, etc...Great, think of something else to put on top (not play, THINK!) and I lose it, any one else gettin' killed by this?

Simple is as simple does, but this ain't friggin simple!

Just listen to some Strauss. You'll be full of ideas. Remember 'An American in Paris'?

If you think 3/4 is just om pa pa stuff Strauss will change your mind.

http://www.bobjanuary.com/johann2.htm

Edited by Weakly Criminal

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Feb 23 2006, 12:00 PM)
How about this:

Try to play to Resist.

Damn 3/4 messes me up all the time.

2.gif

Resist is in 6/8...

Playing 3/4 or 6/8 isn't the problem... Heck, I can groove in 7/4, 7/8, 5/4 etc. the problem is holding the 3/4 on the feet while soloing over the top.

I can do the 3/4 boom boom chick, boom boom chick etc.

I can play what's on top, but stick them together and my brain fries!

I've even tried to incorporate the 3/4 into the top solo, as syncopation, and it just doesn't work!

It's two seperate things entirely!

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Feb 25 2006, 11:02 PM)
Playing 3/4 or 6/8 isn't the problem... Heck, I can groove in 7/4, 7/8, 5/4 etc.  the problem is holding the 3/4 on the feet while soloing over the top.

I've even tried to incorporate the 3/4 into the top solo, as syncopation, and it just doesn't work!

Well then I guess Zappa's 'Black Page' is out of the question! cool.gif

Yea man. Separation is something I never even approached while playing. Singing and playing at the same time was the closest I ever got. There's bound to be some 'rudiment' type exercise that can help with it.

Come on all you drummers. What's the exercise this guy needs?

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Feb 26 2006, 02:40 AM)
QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Feb 25 2006, 11:02 PM)
Playing 3/4 or 6/8 isn't the problem... Heck, I can groove in 7/4, 7/8, 5/4 etc.  the problem is holding the 3/4 on the feet while soloing over the top.

Well then I guess Zappa's 'Black Page' is out of the question! cool.gif

Yea man. Separation is something I never even approached while playing. Singing and playing at the same time was the closest I ever got. There's bound to be some 'rudiment' type exercise that can help with it.

Come on all you drummers. What's the exercise this guy needs?

Practice, practice, practice. That's all I can tell you. Watch Anatomy Of A Drum Solo too, that will help.

The Black Page? It's learnable, I've muddled through parts of it, but have no desire or reason to actually learn it.

I've watched Anatomy, that's what got me intrigued about attempting that part. It's a cool vehicle to solo over, much like Bozzio's ostinatos (which are more hand/foot constant than foot/foot, they're touch also!)

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Mar 2 2006, 06:46 AM)
The Black Page?  It's learnable, I've muddled through parts of it, but have no desire or reason to actually learn it.

I've watched Anatomy,  that's what got me intrigued about attempting that part. It's a cool vehicle to solo over, much like Bozzio's ostinatos (which are more hand/foot constant than foot/foot, they're touch also!)

'Parts' is the key there. I've no doubt there's many who can play the whole thing, I was never one of 'em though.

Bozzio is maybe the master of separation, the guy just makes my head spin.

ok as one who had a hard time at first with walts part . what you have to do is start as basic as possible and ignore you're feet and proseed . its not easy but with a little time you'll get it . 2.gif 1022.gif