Pro Football Hall of Fame

liquidcrystalcompass

QUOTE (anagramking @ Feb 8 2006, 12:18 AM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Feb 7 2006, 08:11 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Feb 7 2006, 02:24 PM)
Not making a case either way; just putting the info out there to discuss.  I think it all makes for interesting discussion.

I don't think Too Tall will get in, though.  As I said before, the foray into boxing hurt his chances, and Randy White was the real star of that defensive line.

Randy White was a star but so was Too Tall. He played 15 seasons with the Cowboys and never missed a game. He played in 232 consecutive games (a Cowboy record). Ed "Too Tall" Jones is the cause for the passes deflected stat.

He had 57 sacks in his career though his position in the Flex defense wasn't conducive for sack totals. It's much deeper than mere stats.

It's harder to get in without the stats they look for. I have similar thoughts about border line players in baseball. Don't forget all the blocks on field goal and extra point attempts he had before the rules were changed. I remember seeing a lot of those. But what do you think of Too Tall versus Richard Dent? Who should be inducted first? Mind you, though I live in Chicago, I do not have a Bears bias by any means.

"Too Tall" vs. Dent? Too close to call. I thought that Dent was already in. If not, he needs to be.

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Feb 8 2006, 01:26 AM)
Very interesting stat's indeed LCC. I must admit that LS's stat's are better than I remember them to be. It looks like the only advantage DP has are a result of his greater longevity. LS was a bit more athletic and more capable of the spectacular play, though DP certainly was spectacular at times. Perhaps you could say DP was a better possession guy with better hands. I would still maintain that DP was the more valuable player to his team outside of the SB.

The Hayes - Irvin stat's are no comparison IMO. Now I'm a Bob Hayes fan and was very glad to have been present at his very deserving ring of honor induction, but after his absolutely awesome first two years he really became rather average statistically. No doubt he was garnering so much attention that he was still a great advantage to the 'Boys, and I don't want to call him a one trick pony but.... Irvin also changed the game with his very physical, some would say borderline dirty style of play. I have never seen a WR play with more heart than MI. He imposed his will on defenses and refused to be denied. Perhaps Rice was a better WR, but if the two were to fight, my money would be on The Playmaker. MI was also the natural leader of the 'Boys and it was his attitude the whole team took on which led them to overcome the loss of Jimmy to make SB history.

We need to be careful of relying on stats to heavily. Warren Moon in the Hall of Fame? Well, according to stats then Bledsoe should be in. We all know that Bledsoe is no Hall of Famer.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Feb 8 2006, 11:49 AM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Feb 8 2006, 12:18 AM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Feb 7 2006, 08:11 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Feb 7 2006, 02:24 PM)
Not making a case either way; just putting the info out there to discuss.  I think it all makes for interesting discussion.

I don't think Too Tall will get in, though.  As I said before, the foray into boxing hurt his chances, and Randy White was the real star of that defensive line.

Randy White was a star but so was Too Tall. He played 15 seasons with the Cowboys and never missed a game. He played in 232 consecutive games (a Cowboy record). Ed "Too Tall" Jones is the cause for the passes deflected stat.

He had 57 sacks in his career though his position in the Flex defense wasn't conducive for sack totals. It's much deeper than mere stats.

It's harder to get in without the stats they look for. I have similar thoughts about border line players in baseball. Don't forget all the blocks on field goal and extra point attempts he had before the rules were changed. I remember seeing a lot of those. But what do you think of Too Tall versus Richard Dent? Who should be inducted first? Mind you, though I live in Chicago, I do not have a Bears bias by any means.

"Too Tall" vs. Dent? Too close to call. I thought that Dent was already in. If not, he needs to be.

Dan Hampton and Mike Singletary are the only two defensive players from the '85 Bears that are in, and Payton is the only other player from that team. Dent has the stats voters look for, so it wouldn't surprise me if he got in first. About a year ago, we were at a charity function that Hampton appeared at, and I gotta say that dude is a giant. He was walking surprisingly well, also, considering how many knee operations he had in his career. I can't imagine what he went through to play as long as he did. He was definitely the anchor of that line.

Archived