Frank Caliendo

anagramking

While back in Phoenix for the holidays, we saw Frank Caliendo perform at the Improv in Tempe. Caliendo is a cast member of MadTV, and also appears on Fox's NFL pregame show. He does an incredible John Madden impersonation. That has to be his signature impression. Others he does are GW Bush, Clinton (way better than Darrell Hammond's, even), Al Pacino, Ted Knight, Casey Kasem, and the narrator from the Superfriends. I do impersonations myself, and I have to say this is the best impersonator I've seen since Rich Little.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 1 2006, 05:23 PM)
I do impersonations myself,

Same here! Whom do you impersonate?

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 1 2006, 04:25 PM)

The first one I learned was Reagan, though once he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I limited it to a respectful "Good night, and God bless." Others include Cosell, both Beavis and Butthead, Cheech and Chong routines, Seinfeld, Homer Simpson, Mr. Burns (and the accompanying Smithers), Moe and Curly, Edith Bunker (and some Archie and Meathead), Jack Nicholson, both GHW (who is strangely similar to Nicholson) and GW Bush, Ross Perot (now that one was a blast), Al Pacino (especially his Tony Montana character), Ted Knight and Rodney Dangerfield in the Caddyshack context, and too many people I've worked with.

Who are your favorites to impersonate?

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 1 2006, 06:05 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 1 2006, 04:25 PM)

The first one I learned was Reagan, though once he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I limited it to a respectful "Good night, and God bless." Others include Cosell, both Beavis and Butthead, Cheech and Chong routines, Seinfeld, Homer Simpson, Mr. Burns (and the accompanying Smithers), Moe and Curly, Edith Bunker (and some Archie and Meathead), Jack Nicholson, both GHW (who is strangely similar to Nicholson) and GW Bush, Ross Perot (now that one was a blast), Al Pacino (especially his Tony Montana character), Ted Knight and Rodney Dangerfield in the Caddyshack context, and too many people I've worked with.

Who are your favorites to impersonate?

Hey, we've got a lot of the same ones. Here's my list:

Sean Connery.

Homer Simpson.

Mr. Burns.

Smithers.

Mayor Quimby.

Barney Gumble.

Beavis & Butthead.

Archie & Edith Bunker.

Clint Eastwood.

Barney Fife.

Gomer Pyle.

Bill Clinton.

JFK.

Ross Perot.

Teddy Kennedy.

Winston Churchill.

Carl Childers from 'Sling Blade' (probably my best one).

John, Paul, George, and Ringo.

God, I love him. But I think his second best one after Madden (one that you didn't have listed) is Robin Williams. You need to get a video of his "Robin Williams does Wizard of Oz". It's classic. I've seen it on Comedy Central before. Definately see that.

QUOTE (thestand @ Jan 1 2006, 10:05 PM)
God, I love him. But I think his second best one after Madden (one that you didn't have listed) is Robin Williams. You need to get a video of his "Robin Williams does Wizard of Oz". It's classic. I've seen it on Comedy Central before. Definately see that.

Yes, that was a phenomenal Robin Williams! I've done that voice, too, but after that performance, almost seems laughable for me to try.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 1 2006, 12:20 PM)

Gomer Pyle.

Ross Perot.

That would be funny as hell to see you do those 2. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 1 2006, 05:20 PM)
Sean Connery.
Homer Simpson.
Mr. Burns.
Smithers.
Mayor Quimby.
Barney Gumble.
Beavis & Butthead.
Archie & Edith Bunker.
Clint Eastwood.
Barney Fife.
Gomer Pyle.
Bill Clinton.
JFK.
Ross Perot.
Teddy Kennedy.
Winston Churchill.

I always had a hard time impersonating Clinton. Getting a consistent raspiness is very difficult. Caliendo does such a beautiful job with Clinton's voice. Gore, I was able to imitate. But true to life, it is a boring imitation. Connery is another tough one for me.Haven't seen Sling Blade, though I suppose I should at some point. Another fun duo to impersonate was Boss Hogg and Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane from the Dukes of Hazzard, as were Austin Powers and Dr. Evil. Robin Leach was a fun voice, but getting his syntax right was a killer. Higgins from Magnum P.I. was a fun one, too. Harry Caray, the late Cubs announcer was a blast. During baseball season, I drive the Cub fans here nuts with it.

To me, the best I ever saw was Rich Little. When I saw his Neil Diamond, I was floored. I've tried in vain to get that one down ever since. Can't go very far beyond "Love on the Rocks." laugh.gif

Caliendo is definitely up there. The Madden and Robin Williams are so unbelievable. I haven't seen anything like that from anybody. To get their syntaxes and voices down so flawlessly is huge.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jan 2 2006, 12:02 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 1 2006, 05:20 PM)
Sean Connery.
Homer Simpson.
Mr. Burns.
Smithers.
Mayor Quimby.
Barney Gumble.
Beavis & Butthead.
Archie & Edith Bunker.
Clint Eastwood.
Barney Fife.
Gomer Pyle.
Bill Clinton.
JFK.
Ross Perot.
Teddy Kennedy.
Winston Churchill.

I always had a hard time impersonating Clinton. Getting a consistent raspiness is very difficult. Caliendo does such a beautiful job with Clinton's voice. Gore, I was able to imitate. But true to life, it is a boring imitation. Connery is another tough one for me.Haven't seen Sling Blade, though I suppose I should at some point. Another fun duo to impersonate was Boss Hogg and Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane from the Dukes of Hazzard, as were Austin Powers and Dr. Evil. Robin Leach was a fun voice, but getting his syntax right was a killer. Higgins from Magnum P.I. was a fun one, too. Harry Caray, the late Cubs announcer was a blast. During baseball season, I drive the Cub fans here nuts with it.

To me, the best I ever saw was Rich Little. When I saw his Neil Diamond, I was floored. I've tried in vain to get that one down ever since. Can't go very far beyond "Love on the Rocks." laugh.gif

Caliendo is definitely up there. The Madden and Robin Williams are so unbelievable. I haven't seen anything like that from anybody. To get their syntaxes and voices down so flawlessly is huge.

Another great, popular duo that's fairly easy to get down, is Wayne Cambell and Garth Algarr, of Wayne's World. I love doing Garth's voice, very controlled and mousy, but very spacy syllables. Really fun.

QUOTE (thestand @ Jan 2 2006, 12:05 AM)
Another great, popular duo that's fairly easy to get down, is Wayne Cambell and Garth Algarr, of Wayne's World. I love doing Garth's voice, very controlled and mousy, but very spacy syllables. Really fun.

"Nice to meet you...Miss Horny..." laugh.gif