Just bought Geddy's signature bass

Riv

Well, I have been thinking of learning to play the bass for a while now. Not only is it cool that it is Geddy's bass, but review after review on the thing is astounding. Looks like the best bang for the buck for sure. I got a killer deal, too. Everywhere I looked has it for $699 - but I luckily stumbled on a closeout deal at music123 for $500 with a gig bag! Sold. SO now I can't wait to start.

I asked a friend whoi is a great bassist for some advice and he told me to start listening to Motown records and sing the basslines. He pointed me in the direction of James Jamerson. There is a book out called "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" which has sheet music and CD's of his bass parts. It puts the bassline in the left channel and the rest of the music in the right channel. Interestingly enough, as I was checking it out I noticed that Geddy even plays a track.

I wanted to get an Ampeg amp but I couldn't afford it right now. So I got a Behringer Ultrabass practice amp. It's only 30 watts and you can plug headphones into it so everyone doesn't know how bad I suck. Anyone have experience with behringer?

I've played the drums for many years but have never even tried playing a guitar. I'm hoping I can pick it up pretty well. If not I guess I can always hang it on the wall! laugh.gif

Edited by Riv

Nice Riv! I have had a Geddy bass now for a few years. I love it ... like you said, for the bucks, it is the best out there IMHO. I have owned them all, Rics, 70s Pbass, 70s Jazz, and the geddy bass compares to them all.

Concerning the pratice amp, can you feed an audio source through it and mix with your bass in the Earphones? That is a great way to learn ... if you have an ear. Also, as boring as it seems, learn and pratice scales ... and with the bass, the right hand is as important as the left ... Have fun!

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Jan 2 2006, 12:40 AM)
Nice Riv! I have had a Geddy bass now for a few years. I love it ... like you said, for the bucks, it is the best out there IMHO. I have owned them all, Rics, 70s Pbass, 70s Jazz, and the geddy bass compares to them all.

Concerning the pratice amp, can you feed an audio source through it and mix with your bass in the Earphones? That is a great way to learn ... if you have an ear. Also, as boring as it seems, learn and pratice scales ... and with the bass, the right hand is as important as the left ... Have fun!

Thanks, ES! Yes, I can mix in the headphones...I will do that. I also saw a piece of gear today that will play a CD at any speed you want and such, and you plug in your instrument and play along to it. I can't remember what it was called right now.

I'm a diehard Behringer user. How do you like the amp?

My current live setup is this-

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/6/0/8/228608.jpg

through two of these-

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/6/3/3/280633.jpg

It's a very good setup. I do also have an Ampeg combo 100 watt, but use that for smaller, more acoustic shows. Behringer is a great way to go, if you have the money or not. I mean, I do have the money to get something like an Ampeg stack, but why not use something that already sounds great?

QUOTE (thestand @ Jan 1 2006, 10:12 PM)

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/6/0/8/228608.jpg

through two of these-

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/6/3/3/280633.jpg

It's a very good setup. I do also have an Ampeg combo 100 watt, but use that for smaller, more acoustic shows. Behringer is a great way to go, if you have the money or not. I mean, I do have the money to get something like an Ampeg stack, but why not use something that already sounds great?

You know, for as many bad things as I hear about Behringer, I'll admit I had my doubts, that is until I got my Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro. It sounds amazing with any of my amps, and I'm stoked to record with it.

Yeah, I am not a fan of Behringer products but am interested in their amps a bit.

Can't go wrong with a Geddy! Having a J and a Ric already I have a hard time justifying getting one. I got my Ric for too good of a price to sell it, though I saw many going for over a G on eBay yesterday. I could sell mine and get a Geddy and still have a tidy sum left, but I really don't want to part with the Ric. Just yet.

QUOTE (Riv @ Jan 1 2006, 10:26 AM)
Well, I have been thinking of learning to play the bass for a while now. Not only is it cool that it is Geddy's bass, but review after review on the thing is astounding. Looks like the best bang for the buck for sure. I got a killer deal, too. Everywhere I looked has it for $699 - but I luckily stumbled on a closeout deal at music123 for $500 with a gig bag! Sold. SO now I can't wait to start.

I asked a friend whoi is a great bassist for some advice and he told me to start listening to Motown records and sing the basslines. He pointed me in the direction of James Jamerson. There is a book out called "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" which has sheet music and CD's of his bass parts. It puts the bassline in the left channel and the rest of the music in the right channel. Interestingly enough, as I was checking it out I noticed that Geddy even plays a track.

I wanted to get an Ampeg amp but I couldn't afford it right now. So I got a Behringer Ultrabass practice amp. It's only 30 watts and you can plug headphones into it so everyone doesn't know how bad I suck. Anyone have experience with behringer?

I've played the drums for many years but have never even tried playing a guitar. I'm hoping I can pick it up pretty well. If not I guess I can always hang it on the wall! laugh.gif

Hey Riv:

Very Cool! I've always wanted to learn bass as well and just bought my first setup. I only had a $750 budget for the whole thing so I bought a Fender Jazz bass and a Crate BT50 Amp. I would have loved to get the Geddy bass but the cheapest I saw it was $669 and that wouldn't have left much room for the rest of the stuff I wanted. Good luck to you. Let me know how your bass playing goes! I'm excited to start my first lessons. By the way, the piece of equipment your referring to is made by Tascam. I think you can get one for around $100. I definitely plan on adding one to my stuff as soon as I can. I figure I better get the basics down first then start playing. Again, good luck to you!

QUOTE (thestand @ Jan 2 2006, 05:12 AM)

I just got this little combo:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/jcar/68664.jpg

I haven't played it yet because I ordered it online and don't have it yet. I'm sure I will go around and actually try out cabinets and heads when the time comes for me to actually own nicer gear. that will probably be a while!

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jan 2 2006, 12:03 PM)
Yeah, I am not a fan of Behringer products but am interested in their amps a bit.

Can't go wrong with a Geddy! Having a J and a Ric already I have a hard time justifying getting one. I got my Ric for too good of a price to sell it, though I saw many going for over a G on eBay yesterday. I could sell mine and get a Geddy and still have a tidy sum left, but I really don't want to part with the Ric. Just yet.

Has their been any word of them discontinuing the Geddy model? Because when I was looking around all of the sites said $699 until I stumbled on the $500 closeout. When I read what closeout was it said that the items were brand new, but they had been discontinued by the manufacturer so the price dropped. I thought that might be a mistake because when I followed then link from that purchase (in my receipt) it said that "This item is no longer available online". I was wondering if they had made a mistake and caught it after I just saved myself a couple hundred bucks or not. But I went to Musiciansfriend and they had said it was discontinued...but now it doesn't say that...so I have no idea.

QUOTE (ByWyzD @ Jan 2 2006, 07:29 PM)

Hey Riv:
    Very Cool!  I've always wanted to learn bass as well and just bought my first setup.  I only had a $750 budget for the whole thing so I bought a Fender Jazz bass and a Crate BT50 Amp.  I would have loved to get the Geddy bass but the cheapest I saw it was $669 and that wouldn't have left much room for the rest of the stuff I wanted.  Good luck to you.  Let me know how your bass playing goes!  I'm excited to start my first lessons.  By the way, the piece of equipment your referring to is made by Tascam.  I think you can get one for around $100.  I definitely plan on adding one to my stuff as soon as I can.  I figure I better get the basics down first then start playing.  Again, good luck to you!

You're right! It was by Tascam. Looked like a cool piece of gear. So are you taking lessons? I wish I could get some in, but it would probably be just as hard as me to find a teacher with good enough English skills as it would be for me to fit it in my schedule. I got some books and video's and stuff. I also found a forum called talkbass and learned so much stuff just reading through their stickies. There is a wealth of knowledge there. Through there I found some great info at some other place. Here's the links:

TalkBass Forum

Wheat's Bassbook

Good luck to you, also!

Edited by Riv

QUOTE (Riv @ Jan 2 2006, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Jan 2 2006, 10:08 PM)
Riv, gonna post pics?

I'm pretty sure everyone has seen this bass before. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

wink.gif Just trying to get you to post more pics of you!!! drool1.gif

QUOTE (Riv @ Jan 2 2006, 09:49 PM)

Hey Riv:
    Very Cool!  I've always wanted to learn bass as well and just bought my first setup.  I only had a $750 budget for the whole thing so I bought a Fender Jazz bass and a Crate BT50 Amp.  I would have loved to get the Geddy bass but the cheapest I saw it was $669 and that wouldn't have left much room for the rest of the stuff I wanted.  Good luck to you.  Let me know how your bass playing goes!  I'm excited to start my first lessons.  By the way, the piece of equipment your referring to is made by Tascam.  I think you can get one for around $100.  I definitely plan on adding one to my stuff as soon as I can.  I figure I better get the basics down first then start playing.  Again, good luck to you!

You're right! It was by Tascam. Looked like a cool piece of gear. So are you taking lessons? I wish I could get some in, but it would probably be just as hard as me to find a teacher with good enough English skills as it would be for me to fit it in my schedule. I got some books and video's and stuff. I also found a forum called talkbass and learned so much stuff just reading through their stickies. There is a wealth of knowledge there. Through there I found some great info at some other place. Here's the links:

TalkBass Forum

Wheat's Bassbook

Good luck to you, also!

Here's some more good resources:

FAQ's

This has two parts, note the 'part 2' at the top.

QUOTE (Riv @ Jan 2 2006, 02:44 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jan 2 2006, 12:03 PM)

Has their been any word of them discontinuing the Geddy model? Because when I was looking around all of the sites said $699 until I stumbled on the $500 closeout. When I read what closeout was it said that the items were brand new, but they had been discontinued by the manufacturer so the price dropped. I thought that might be a mistake because when I followed then link from that purchase (in my receipt) it said that "This item is no longer available online". I was wondering if they had made a mistake and caught it after I just saved myself a couple hundred bucks or not. But I went to Musiciansfriend and they had said it was discontinued...but now it doesn't say that...so I have no idea.

I can't see them discontinuing it anytime soon. They are flying off the shelves at my local Guitar Center, and are very recognized and popular basses. It's in stock at Musician's Friend as far as I can tell.

QUOTE (Riv @ Jan 2 2006, 04:11 PM)
QUOTE (Riv @ Jan 2 2006, 09:49 PM)

Hey Riv:

TalkBass Forum

Wheat's Bassbook

Good luck to you, also!

Here's some more good resources:

FAQ's

This has two parts, note the 'part 2' at the top.

Not taking lessons yet. I'm still waiting for the bass to arrive from Musicians Friend. The color I wanted was back ordered. I figures I'll spend a little time on my own getting used to it and then start taking lessons. I know a local guy that has been playing bass since 1963 and does lessons. He anxious to get me started. I figure between lessons, some books and DVD's and practice I can be playing like Geddy in about 50 years!

QUOTE (Riv @ Jan 4 2006, 06:46 AM)
Check out how great this bass sounds:

clip 1

clip 2

1022.gif

Do you know of any way to record those on the PC. I saved the links but ( they play in real player ) but I'm wondering if there is a way to save them. Any idea? Maybe I'm not thinking of something obvious.