Hall of Fame candidates announced

anagramking

Bruce Sutter is the lone electee this year to the Hall, getting 76%, just barely enough. Rice and Gossage both got 64%, and Dawson got 61%.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Sutter was a great reliever. Back then, a closer could throw up to three innings, unlike the one inning or less that is usually thrown today. He was probably the first pitcher to master the split finger fastball. And unlike any other reliever inducted before him, Sutter never made a single start in his career.

Next year, Gwynn, Ripken, and McGwire are up for nomination for the first time.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 10 2006, 10:18 PM)
I'd like to see Orel Hershiser make it in. I saw him pitch when he was on the Indians years ago. He's a good guy. trink39.gif

I don't think he's going to make it. I saw much of his '88 season. I have seen very few seasons like that from a pitcher in my lifetime. It was the year that he broke Drysdale's consecutive scoreless innings streak, and the last year that the Dodgers won a championship. Unfortunately, he had surgery after that season and was never the same afterwards. It was definitely one of my favorite seasons as a fan (since I did grow up a Dodger fan). I was living in LA at the time, and watched a lot of baseball that year.

Despite all that, I don't think he has the numbers to get into the Hall. One big season is not enough, just like it wasn't enough for Ron Guidry and his unbelievable 1978 season.

So Bruce Sutter it is this year, all by himself. With Gwynn, Ripken, and McGwire on the ballot next year, all those borderline guys are going to have to wait awhile longer.

The Hall of Fame has just announced 17 inductees from the Negro League era.

The electees include seven Negro League players, four Negro League executives, five pre-Negro League players and one pre-Negro League executive.

The Negro League electees are Ray Brown, Willard Brown, Andy Cooper, Biz Mackey, Mule Suttles, Cristobal Torriente and Jud Wilson. The Negro League executives are Effa Manley, Alex Pompez, Cum Posey and J.L. Wilkinson. The pre-Negro League electees are players Frank Grant, Pete Hill, Jose Mendez, Louis Santop and Ben Taylor and executive Sol White.

Manley, an owner in the Negro Leagues, becomes the first woman elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

A day that was long overdue, indeed.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Archived