RIP George McGinnis, skilled NBA power forward, former Hoosier and Pacer

laughedatbytime

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/hall-of-famer-aba-champion-george-mcginnis-dies-at-73/ar-AA1luWV8?OCID=ansmsnnews11

RIP.

George was also the star of the undefeated Indianapolis Washington team which defeated Gary Tolleson in the first IHSAA championship game I ever saw.

:rose:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BastillePark said:

Just now reading about his career and he was good. Starting with Mr. Basketball in Indiana and ending up in the NBA. I found it interesting/stupid that when he was in college, he and every other freshman, weren't allowed to play in games per NCAA rules. RIP

In Lew Alcindor's freshman year, he led the freshman team to a huge win over the varsity (the rule above was in effect) in a preseason scrimmage. If the rule was not in effect, a) UCLA would have likely won 11 championships in a row, and b) the all black Texas Western team likely wouldn't have beaten lily white Kentucky in the championship game that year and that wonderful story would likely never have happened.  So I guess some good could have come from what I think is a stupid rule.

• Like 2