Rick Beato's old band (Billionaire), I'd buy this today. Right now.

stoopid

This is them after 20+ years apart.  Imagine this band firing on all cylinders.

So much good music out there and so few artists get the attention they deserve.

Video is queued at the point just before they start playing.  There's an interview of the band immediately before.

I found the original track:

And it IS for sale still.  From my brief sampling, the songs are very much hit/miss.  I Fell From Space clearly being one of the better ones, which likely isn't coincidence they featured it on Rick's video.

https://www.amazon.com/music/player/albums/B00A0CVMFK

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

The live studio recording he got is amazing sounding, better than some studio released stuff nowadays.  So much win here IMHO.  [I realize there's some post production done on this, but there would be on any studio recording and even some live recordings nowadays have stuff added/adjusted for better or worse]

Edited by stoopid

4 hours ago, custom55 said:

Sounds similar to a 90s band that I used to listen to.  Gotta dig back in my mind.

This ended up being what my ears heard when previewing some of their other tracks -- perhaps not unique enough to overcome the onslaught of cookie cutter bands of which they were only a nominally different shape.  But I like this one track a lot.

Edited by stoopid

I'd love someone who's knowledgable about this stuff to explain WHY this band has a 90s sound. Like I get that it does… But I'm always a little perplexed as to what that is. And I'm not talking about production, or snare drum tuning or those sorts of things. As you can hear on this track, with a band playing in 2023, it still sounds like the 90s. What is it about the cord progressions or the cord choices that make it stuck in a certain era? Why does it sound so different from some thing like say the Rolling Stones or The Who?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Timbale said:

I'd love someone who's knowledgable about this stuff to explain WHY this band has a 90s sound. Like I get that it does… But I'm always a little perplexed as to what that is. And I'm not talking about production, or snare drum tuning or those sorts of things. As you can hear on this track, with a band playing in 2023, it still sounds like the 90s. What is it about the cord progressions or the cord choices that make it stuck in a certain era? Why does it sound so different from some thing like say the Rolling Stones or The Who?

Interesting question.  I composed a response but it was so long it crashed the internet when I clicked submit.

14 hours ago, Timbale said:

The response would be about music theory (composition/chord choices, song structure, key and modes), and in equal parts production (drum sound, guitar/bass tone, panning, compression, vocal placement and effects, etc).  Let's not dismiss the role production has on the end result. I can record a song right now using all the latest tools and techniques that sounds like something produced in the 1960s, and this would be done as an effect that somehow supports the intent of the music.  Good production works in tandem with good songs/songwriting.  Adele's early recordings are a good example, that somewhat smokey jazz lounge feel works well for some of her tracks and supports the greater conveyance of the music's "art".  Those songs were done with a top producer with full studio access and modern tools/techniques. They intentionally injected some tasteful low fi into the recordings.

If Rick hasn't already, this would be the exact kind of topic he covers on his channel's other videos.

The top handful of results on google would explain some of the things you ask:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rock+genre+music+mode+theory

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

I just saw a video he did I think recently about his band and an example of be careful what you say and when you say it. Back in the day they were invited to open for Creed (I think) when Creed was huge but that was in California and they were in Georgia and couldn't afford to get there in time. Fast forward to sometime later and they were playing a show in the Atlanta area and the lead singer was drunk and talked about how bad Creed was and they wouldn't last etc. Turns out Creed and their agent were in the back of the club and needless to say they never opened for Creed.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BastillePark said:

I just saw a video he did I think recently about his band and an example of be careful what you say and when you say it. Back in the day they were invited to open for Creed (I think) when Creed was huge but that was in California and they were in Georgia and couldn't afford to get there in time. Fast forward to sometime later and they were playing a show in the Atlanta area and the lead singer was drunk and talked about how bad Creed was and they wouldn't last etc. Turns out Creed and their agent were in the back of the club and needless to say they never opened for Creed.

I remember that video, heart breaking but frankly well deserved snub by Creed.  Rick owned it, too [by throwing his singer under the bus where they belonged  lol].  He's clearly a standup guy.  Probably why he only eek'd out a living in the music biz.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1