Power Windows is the Hemispheres of the 80s

Entre_Perpetuo

Mehhhh.

That's how I feel about most of Power Windows.

I know this will ruffle feathers, but sorry -- it's just too trebly. Plus Alex's guitar and the synths occupy the same sonic chirpy sonic space. I get that they were trying to do that on purpose, but it really didn't mesh. There aren't too many memorable melodies on it either.

Standouts:

1) Mystic Rhythms

2) Geddy ripping the Wal bass on Marathon

3) Parts of Manhattan Project

4) Neil's African patterns in several songs (see #1)

5) Lyrics, as usual

Castoffs:

1) Territories (minus Neil)

2) Almost all the synths

3) Emotion Detector is terrible

4) Everything I haven't named.

Overall, Neil was the only guy pulling his weight in this album. I love his experimentation and his lyrics.

The other two seemed to be having a bad year...

I knew Hemispheres. Hemispheres was a friend of mine.

Power Windows, you're no Hemispheres.

lol

I wouldn't say it's like Hemispheres, because theres no song on here that's worse than The Trees :)

But I've always said one of the most impossible questions for me to answer is What Is My Favorite Synth Era Album? I love all 4.

PoW does synthesizer the right way. This whole album is so creative it blows my mind.

Only song I'm unsure about is Middletown Dreams. Other than that all songs are amazing.

Even Rush themselves underrates Emotion Detector! Its the only one from this album never played live.

The Solo on The Big Money, the bass on Grand Designs, the riff (and lyrics) from Territories, I could keep going on. Always turn this one up max volume

• Like 1

I wouldn't say it's like Hemispheres, because theres no song on here that's worse than The Trees :)

But I've always said one of the most impossible questions for me to answer is What Is My Favorite Synth Era Album? I love all 4.

PoW does synthesizer the right way. This whole album is so creative it blows my mind.

Only song I'm unsure about is Middletown Dreams. Other than that all songs are amazing.

Even Rush themselves underrates Emotion Detector! Its the only one from this album never played live.

The Solo on The Big Money, the bass on Grand Designs, the riff (and lyrics) from Territories, I could keep going on. Always turn this one up max volume

We will agree to disagree.

Like gentlemen.

I give it 2.5 out of 5 stars. I like The Big Money and Marathon. Grand Designs is pretty okay. Lukewarm on The Manhattan Project. The rest are meh as songs. But this is one of Rush's biggest production misfires ever, imo. Just too glossy for me. Rush is buried underneath there somewhere, I'm sure. It could use a good Brooning.

For anyone who hasn't heard the early demo for Power Windows. It's taken from a cassette, so it's a bit rough, but it's raw and very Alex-heavy.

Slight improvement on some of the songs but I really like this early version of Manhattan Project!

• Like 1

For anyone who hasn't heard the early demo for Power Windows. It's taken from a cassette, so it's a bit rough, but it's raw and very Alex-heavy.

Slight improvement on some of the songs but I really like this early version of Manhattan Project!

this is so good— just fun listening to them uncritically.