Bands to Keep an Eye On

winter17

This is only in the humble opinion of a 17 year old surrounded by machinery making modern music rather than musicians, so usually I'll take what I can get regardless of genuine quality as long as its actual musicians doing the playing. However, these two bands I think are really going places.

YYNOT

They started as a Rush tribute band and evolved to write their own originals, and just released their debut album. There's a lot of solid material on there and while you can hear the Rush influence they definitely have their own sound. My personal favorites include "Kingdom Come," "Hourglass," "Etheria," and "The Curtain Falls." My lone criticism would be that some parts of the originals sometimes sound scattered, or "loose" as opposed to sounding "tight." However, all of their songs are still extremely enjoyable and I go back to all of them frequently. I can only imagine that they will continue to grow to become an even more cohesive unit to produce an even tighter sound.

Greta van Fleet

A bunch of young guys out of a small town in Michigan, they've received a decent amount of press and have really grown in popularity. Their debut album From the Fires is quite good, but it is extremely similar to Led Zeppelin to the point where its tough to distinguish between Led Zeppelin and Greta van Fleet for new listeners. Still, very tight songs and a good sound. Their latest single, "When the Curtain Falls," shows a bit more originality but still heavy Led Zeppelin roots. I hope to see these guys turn into something really great and original in the future, since they have plenty of time to grow.

Perhaps I'm too young to truly understand what good music is but if I'm spending time on a Rush forum I can't be too far off can I?

• Like 1

Kaleo - Icelandic group with their roots firmly planted in classic rock, bringing a current alternative vibe to their blues rock base.

MisterWives - gloriously tight New York indie-pop band with horns, synths, guitars, killer drums, and phenomenal vocals from powerhouse Mandy Lee. For fans of No Doubt or modern Paramore

White Reaper - Kentucky punk turned classic rock band with a hilarious "ego." The music is no joke though. Power pop guitar riffs, smoking solos, lo-fi keyboard accents, and super catchy, if scream-inflected vocals. Tight has heck too.

Pale Waves - British emo indie pop quartet with sugary vocals and ethereal new wave riffs. Plenty of synth and reverb, but the melodies are catchy (if very samey so far) and the lyrics are deliciously teenage and depressed.

The Marmozets - Loud, punky, heavy, anthemic. A family band I believe. The songs are tight and infectious, but without seeming like a commercial concession.

• Like 2

Glass Animals, an English indie rock band from Oxford who mix elements of indie, pop, and alternative in there music to make soft relaxing songs that comfort even the lowest of lows in people!!

Local Natives, another indie rock band cept there based outta Silver Lake. If you like Glass Animals, Portugal The Man, Two Door Cinema Club, etc etc you'd love them too!!

• Like 1