JohnRogers

4 hours ago, BigMontanaSKY said:

Just on topic, if someone needs a laptop they will use daily and will be toting around everywhere, spend the money on a model designed for outdoor use. 

It's sad but for most of us tech is part of the way we make a living.

I've always been envious of people having a working laptop at the airports, but I guess it's more work than play. 

• Like 1

Another question. I find that my laptop cords get tangled up to the point where the outer layer rips open and eventually the connection is broken. It's a hell of a time trying to replace a cord, especially with the computer still in good working order. Any advice?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blackhawkrush said:

Another question. I find that my laptop cords get tangled up to the point where the outer layer rips open and eventually the connection is broken. It's a hell of a time trying to replace a cord, especially with the computer still in good working order. Any advice?

Most people I know get cheap cords on Amazon or the local computer store.

My advice, try fixing with electrical tape or duct tape until you can get a new one. 

There are cases for laptops that have either compartments or side pockets for cords so you can roll them up and stash them first, before you zip up the laptop.........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigMontanaSKY said:

Most people I know get cheap cords on Amazon or the local computer store.

My advice, try fixing with electrical tape or duct tape until you can get a new one. 

There are cases for laptops that have either compartments or side pockets for cords so you can roll them up and stash them first, before you zip up the laptop.........

I didn't know you could just buy a cord, but I assume it would have to have the same specifications to the cord being replaced? The Acer computer I just got has a very thin cord and after only two months, it's already showing signs of shriveling up. Would just unplugging the cord for the night help prolong its existence or is a simple shut down sufficient? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackhawkrush said:

I didn't know you could just buy a cord, but I assume it would have to have the same specifications to the cord being replaced? The Acer computer I just got has a very thin cord and after only two months, it's already showing signs of shriveling up. Would just unplugging the cord for the night help prolong its existence or is a simple shut down sufficient? 

IMO shut down is good enough.

I always had pets lurking so I put away all my electronics. 

• Like 1

Getting back to cord-gate, the whole thing must involve the usage of the computer. My wife doesn't use her laptop as much as I do, and she never has a problem with a mangled cord.